I hit a cyclist, now what??

RudoJ

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna let insurance sort it out rather, not going to get too involved

Best plan, but like someone else said, they will more then likely start to play the blame game. So just be sure to have all your ducks in a row. Good Luck :thumbup:

Rudo I think your plan A was the right way. if you felt giving him a wheel was the right thing to do (and you have one in any event) give the kid a wheel. Thats not an admission of guilt. Who are your insurers? If you are really concerned simply call them and inform them prior to dropping off the wheel.

After talking to my advocate friend, just gonna draw up a little something stating that helping with the wheel is by no means an admission of guilt and that we consider the case closed and no further action will be taken. gonna take the wheel through on Friday

I wont expect them to pay the excess or any part of it, I can because of the no helmet and front brake and earphones issue. But I'm not the type of person to continue yapping and barking. As most guys said just glad the kid is fine

I am with APBCO Insurance Brokers, informed them of advice from advocate, they said its fine like that.

You could also donate the wheel to the Hub's spares fund, and they, in turn, could donate it to him :) Big up to you in any case.

I urge you, let your kids wear helmets on their way to school, check their bikes for road worthiness, and be alert in your cars. This could have turned out much worse.

Shouldnt that read - FORCE your kids to wear helmets ... it may save their lives!

Sorry to hear about the car ...

Shouldnt that read - FORCE your kids to wear helmets ... it may save their lives!

Sorry to hear about the car ...

yeah, the front bumper has to be replaced (been bashed in by pedal and some other part, on the visual line), right front headlight also needs to be replaced (brackets broke off) and two dents and chips on bonnet. Can believe its so much damage really as the kids as I said is fine. BUT car damage R12500, Insurance excess 2500, child fine and not injured: Priceless

Well done , if only all drivers on the road was this tolerant and understanding . Now can you please send me a map of the route you take every day and times you travel . My front rim needs replacing .

I am conctantly astounded by parents who:

1 - Let their kids ride without helmets.

2 - Don't make their kids wear seatbelts.

3 - WORST OF ALL - hold babies / small kids on their laps in the front seat of a car!!!!!!

Glad to hear this kid was able to walk away with just a few dents to his bike and not his brain!

maybe point out to the ouki he shouldnt have crap in the ears while riding you are a better human being than me good on you

Well, I have sympathy for you.

I hit a pedestrian doing a little over 110km/h, in a double cab with a bull bar, it was a young girl playing kissing catches with a few boys on the side of the national road.

she didnt stand a chance, I was driving alone and the kids were unsupervised, I still had over R30 k damage, but you gotta dust yourself off. I called the cops, they arrived 3 hours later the ambulance 2hrs after them. I left every detail of mine with the boys cops and the houses I could see, and still have never heard anything from the incident.

maybe point out to the ouki he shouldnt have crap in the ears while riding you are a better human being than me good on you

I think the shock your in makes you only worry about the persons well being you just hit.One of my brothers friends killed a kid by accident with his car - was not his fault - and he still battles to put that behind him.The nightmares still haunts him.

Prehaps schools should be a bit more proactive with the wearing of helmets. In my day there was a bike corner that was fenced off with the bike stands and was patrolled by the prefects. Once you arrived you ticked your name off on a register and the same again when you left.

Maybe the schools should not allow the kids to bring their bikes if they have no helmet (not that any of us had helmets back then!)?

I am conctantly astounded by parents who:

1 - Let their kids ride without helmets.

2 - Don't make their kids wear seatbelts.

3 - WORST OF ALL - hold babies / small kids on their laps in the front seat of a car!!!!!!

Glad to hear this kid was able to walk away with just a few dents to his bike and not his brain!

when i used to ride offroad (motorbikes) its scary the amount of times i saw kids riding without helmets.

i will always remember clearly telling some parents to please put helmets on the kids. their reply was, "but they dont like wearing them"

i asked if theyd rather have a kid in hospital or worse or a kid that moans about a helmet... some people eish

Just yesterday - on my way home from work...i was driving behind this student and being bored...I studied his actions for a while...

Can you believeit...the dude leans over to "fix" his cd player / or cell phone attachement ...but in doing so his car drifts nicely off the road into yellow lane...all in nice slow motion...so I noticed these tow pedestrians in his way...and can just see this accident happening!! Luckily they saw him as well and moved out of the way....

Thinking to myself - this is EXACTLY how cyclists are killed...foolish driver!!