26/27.5/29 Mega Merge Thread.

Tieffels

Perhaps this isn't an issue of 26" vs 29" size, but rather the two different brands. Some, like Silverback, are known for more compact frames.

Probably....or maybe my existing XL is on the big size..... :blush:

Interestingly the critical dims on my existing XL fall between the L and XL dims on the Spez

Also I rode an XL Scott Spark 29er carbon FS 2 weeks ago and that felt very similar in geometry and feel to the Large Spez

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a older model EMD 9 and now have the 2012 EMD 9 Large, bike setup changed allot since I started riding the Niners.

Weight is 10.72.KG

Thats quite light for 29er...what is the rest of the setup spec's?

How many 26 inch riders have gone from a Medium to Long travel bike - 140mm to 160mm onto a 29er and preferred a 29er ?

Just curious, not trying to stir the pot.

I like 29ers. Not all of them, but I do the good ones. Same with 26ers I suppose. Anyway, I digress...

For XC / Marathon it will be 29er all the way for me. But a 29er will never replace my 140mm bike. Yeah, bigger wheels do soak up more, but travel is still travel.

Done the test rides , read the reports , listenend to all the marketing talks and I have decided to stay with my 26ers . Could not find one reason why I would want to change , and I was looking for a reason but nothing !

Yeah, bigger wheels do soak up more, but travel is still travel.

Amen Brother Crow!

Testify!

When it comes to riding rocky, bumpy tech stuff fast... 3 extra inches on the wheels will never compete with 3 degrees less on the head angle and 3 inches more on the travel

Viva la big-bike!

Edited by patches

Thats quite light for 29er...what is the rest of the setup spec's?

2012 XT Groupset.

Ritchey WCS Handlebar & Seatpost.

Selle Italia SL Saddle.

ZTR Crest Wheelset, Stans 3.30 Hubs

Ikon - Ikon tyres

Red ESI grips

Done the test rides , read the reports , listenend to all the marketing talks and I have decided to stay with my 26ers . Could not find one reason why I would want to change , and I was looking for a reason but nothing !

Well I found another reason to dislike 29ers...not quite sure why I'm looking for reasons to dislkie them must be some kind of genetic instinct...

Anyway, loading a 29er in the back of our the car with both wheels on is damn difficult compared to my Zula, the bladdy front wheel nearly hits the roof and last thing i need is the wife asking why there are tire tracks on the roof...

2012 XT Groupset.

Ritchey WCS Handlebar & Seatpost.

Selle Italia SL Saddle.

ZTR Crest Wheelset, Stans 3.30 Hubs

Ikon - Ikon tyres

Red ESI grips

Very nice indeed.

... the bladdy front wheel nearly hits the roof and last thing i need is the wife asking why there are tire tracks on the roof...

Should seen the look on the guys face when I had my car valet and asked them to make sure they clean the tread mark off my roof-liner!

Cool wheels :thumbup:

I think my boy built them and sold them to you

LOL.

If thats the case, the front wheel failed terribly on me and it needed to be rebuilt with a new rim.

It's holding up now...

LOL.

If thats the case, the front wheel failed terribly on me and it needed to be rebuilt with a new rim.

It's holding up now...

Really?

I'll tell him

When it comes to riding rocky, bumpy tech stuff fast... 3 extra inches on the wheels will never compete with 3 degrees less on the head angle and 3 inches more on the travel

Viva la big-bike!

Just reading this makes me wanna head out and bomb my bike down a mountain!