Roasty advice needed

Stevief

Make sure it is clean before you do anything!! Detol and a cloth if you can't handle the pain. If you can handle the pain swap the cloth out for a scrubbing brush (Just make sure both are clean and sterilised first...) I used Podine (Iodine based antiseptic cream) and a dressing that had a breathable type of plastic on one side (Can't remember the name off hand) and cotton wool type of fabric on the other side for a few weeks and all was good just make sure you put it on the right way around... (My roastied arm was inside a sling due to a shoulder dislocation so air dry wasn't an option...)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shiieeet now im confussed, some oaks say dry others say bandage, guess im off to the chemist, but whatever happens im still going to have a whisky or 5. And i cant even bear the pain with a cloth let alone a scrubbing brush...u kidding right?

Edited by Stevief

maybe ask at your doctors/clinic side for them to give it a clean and then dress it or see what they recommend.

Get better soon.

Had a crash at 50km/h (tar) last year December and I have huge scars from that. Use Vitamin A oil once it heals up to get rid of the scaring.

Used that last night and will continue to.

I still get scared when I think about that crash.

DONT let it dry. will heal much faster is it remains covered and "wet'. Chemists/Drs have a large spongy plaster type thing. U put it on and leave it for 5 days..... Its inpregnated with some meds etc.... After a few days it looks and smells bleak, but when u take it off... VOILA! I had a roasty I let dru on my ankle, it formed a scab and I had to go to the Drs rooms to have it sorted out for 8 weeks.

He said roasties not 8cm deep gashes ..... what will you do if its runs down the side of your leg from hip to ankle? big bandage?

Get hold of the scar clinic. One of our girl friends fell while back on mtb ride and experienced skin damage from skin to fore head. She went to the skin Clinique at Medi clinic, they cleaned it and gave her some repair gel, and she needed to keep it clean and well jelled with ointment they gave her. Stuff like laser repair jells...

But that was a serious face knock....

On arms and legs, I would clean/disinfect, use red stuff, end keep it dry. After wound healed I would use some tissue oil to reduce scar...

my 2 c

From my experience - to clean use only salted water (no detol or mecurochrome) and scrub as much as you can bear; then put on those clear plasters (no cotton or anything else in the middle) and make sure it seals properly, because there will be fluid build-up, but that is what you want. You can ask at any pharmacy for those plasters. Replace only when the seal breaks.

Anyone with a modicum of medical knowledge will tell you to keep it clean, keep it covered and keep it moist. The paraffin gauze strips together with some Bactroban (topical antibiotic), then covered with Elastoplast is a sure fire way to ensure you get a quick heal, with minimal scarring.

The guys that say "let it dry" could not give you worse advice, other than perhaps to make sure you pick all the scabs off too. Seriously; don't dry it out.

Just a word of caution; the paraffin gauze can "ooze" slightly, and might get onto your clothes. Depending on the brand, and the potential ooziness, you may just want to give it some form of cover.

I came off my bike at quite a speed yesterday and have a huge roasty on my leg and one on my arm. Any advice as the best way to ease the intense pain and whats a good way to heal (ointments etc). I havent put on any bandages on it as i think its better for it to dry out??

Any advice would be welcome

eks bly eks nie die enigste een nie, op die draai by die 15km waterpoint het ek my gaai gesien...sit self met 'n paar roasties..did the red stuff

and bike got hurt..so off to lbs to get lowdown on damage

To cover or not to cover, that's a question a lot of people ask about treating minor wounds at home. The simple answer is a covered wound heals faster and better. When you get a minor cut or scrape, the body creates an environment where cells migrate freely and bond together to form new tissue. For that to happen, you need to have moisture at the site of the wound so the body can create something called exudates. Exudates are a fluid that contains healing cells and proteins. It spreads across the bottom and sides of wounds, helping them heal fast. When a wound doesn't have enough moisture, the exudates dries up and forms a scab. The scab creates a barrier that forces new skin cells to move around the scab rather than the wound. This may cause the skin to heal in an irregular pattern. And when the scab is gone, you may be left with a scar. When you cover a wound with a protective bandage, you help exudates form by creating a moist environment. So always remember, a covered wound heals faster and better.

Source: http://healthcorner.walgreens.com/display/559.htm

came off in feb (oilslick on a bend) and got pretty badly scraped up on my left arm and fingers. at the finish the first aiders did the following:

1 - cleaned and irrigated like crazy with saline to get all the dirt out.

2 - applied some orange red stuff from a tube - my best guess is it was betadine.

3 - added a couple of patch-type bandages (not sticky or anything) with extra betadine applied and wrapped the whole thing in gauze (taped).

for the next 72 hours i removed the bandages, cleaned everything out with water and soap (stings like crap, just deal), reapplied betadine and wrapped in new bandages and gauze pretty much every 12 hours (i.e. every morning after showering and every evening before bed).

after 72 hours i left it open so it could dry out (edit: I know what everyone's saying here, but i found keeping it wet from this point on meant that scar tissue was starting to "grow" onto the bandages and each time i removed them to clean the wound, they would rip off and prevent healing, so i left them off to see if i would get better results this way - it worked in my case, may not in yours). because the wounds were clean the scar tissue had a good clean base to build on and once dry could heal quickly. 7 days later the scabs starting falling off.

anyway, i lost a lot of skin and that seemed to work for me - no scars whatsoever.

Edited by nuge

Did the whisky thing last night , worked a treat will get the metholade today. tks chaps

Sommer get some more Whisky, before you even think of using Merthiolate.

Don't bugger around, get hydrocolloid dressings from your pharmacist. It'll protect the raw area and ease the pain. You'll also heal without scarring (remember to apply Bactroban or similar beforehand). Leave dressings on for at least a week.