Road Race on MTB

P.A.K.

Demmit actually I would love to take my double cab around the track but I wouldn't say no to a spin in the r8 either. To each their own

Fair enough. But I'd still rather do a MTB race in the first place.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with G-Unit on this. Sure it is fun to do a road race with a MTB but it is more fun on a road bike. That's how I got into road riding. The Hilux anallagy is a sound one. I think it's why so many dirt dudes have a bad idea of road riding. It is a buzz to cruise along in a bunch on the road at 40kmh and you would need to be Kevin Evans to even contemplate doing that on a mountain bike.

Still if I didn't have a road bike I would still do road races. I would put on slicks though. It's a bike not a religious artifact. No need to get precious about it.

My point - one will have more fun at a ROAD race on a ROAD bike.

If you're referring to having an easier ride, then yes a road bike will be better - but it doesn't mean the fun is taken out the equation.

Define "fun"...

For me, last year's 94.7 was fun as it involved towing a half-wheeler with a case of beers.

Was it fun to race a 2:21 in the Vet 35-39 category a few year before that? Yes, but circumstances were different to last year.

Cause it's a jol, and I don't see the point of racing for 2345 th spot. Lekker day out and having fun is never a waste of my time.

I can include riding any bike anywhere is never a waste of my time

Why will you have more....it will be more efficient and you will get home quicker yes...but having more fun is relative

More efficient and getting home quicker is not always the objective. Yes, if you're racing for a position or specific time.

I've only ever raced the Argus and would, one day, like to cruise the race and enjoy the views instead of constantly having to watch the wheel(s) in front and around me wondering when that inevitable crash with happen.

Doing it on a MTB would force me to abandon the "racing" tendency and ride slower on a MTB thereby enjoying the view and the atmosphere on certain sections of the route.

Okay, stupid question - but why even bother doing a road race? If you're just there to piss about, then rather save the money and go ride where you usually do. Unless, of course, the idea is to try to beat some people. In that case just get a road bike.

I only own a MTB and the 2 road races I've done, I just loaned a buddy's old road bike. Much better - you can stay with decent riders and do a decent time. Otherwise IMO, it's just a waste of time.

because its FUN??

I have a decent specced mtb but dont have a road bike, nor do I know anybody that has one I can borrow.

I LIKE doing the occasional road race. 94.7, argus etc and for me its more about the vibe and the social outing than the time. I cant justify the expense of buying a road bike that sits and gathers dust just for the odd race or three a year.

Yeah, it's not ideal. but we cant all have 'ideal', so we make do with what we have

Hi guys,

I'm a weekend warrior type MTB rider (more weekend, less warrior actually).

In an attempt to get fit, and with the limited amount of MTB races where I live, I'm contemplating participating in road races too with my mountain bike.

Have any of you done this? The purpose is obviously not to do a good time, but to get in some extra time in saddle.

But I'm afraid of looking like an idiot going there with an MTB and doing a terrible time

I see a lot of people on MTB's at races.

In Bloem we are getting a night Crit series starting next month and to grow the sport they have a starting group for people on MTB as well

Another starting group is for students where Hostels will compete against each other.

P.A.K - don't listen to the haters here. An MTB with slicks is a perfectly acceptable tool for road riding. Heck, it'll be more relaxing for one (geometry wise) and the hills won't be as bad if you're not that strong a rider.

I'm putting some slicks on my hardtail for the Argus next year. Will I care that the skinny ass 1.25 tires will look stoopid as fk on the bike? No. I'm riding for the heck of it, and want to participate in the spectacle again. It's a ride, for heavens sake. No need to get a road bike PURELY for one or 2 road races that you're going to do, when in fact you could up-spec your MTB instead, while also getting a spare set of wiele that always have slicks on them for when you want a bit of on road flava.

• 2 weeks later...

I be doing the 94,7 on my 26" full suss MTB. Will take the knobbers off and put on some smoothies. Am going to have a good day out and make the best of it.

I have done a few of the 94,7 MTB rides but the congestion is not worth it anymore, even though they will be seeding it this year. I am still not up it, so figured I'd rather take in the sights and sounds of the city. Its a nice route and not something you get to do everyday.

Dont get why you wouldn't put slicks on a mtb. I mean the bright thing is too put the tyres on best suited to the task. MTB stands for multi terrain bicycle. Tar is a terrain and a tyre is made for that terrain. If you rather see it as a mountain bike, well that is a problem because these things just about never see mountains.

My 1st road race was the 70km Herald this year and I did it on my MTB - it was also still dirty of the muddy MTB race the day before.

My ave was over 26km/h and I was 6th lady in.

SO one can deffo do road races on your MTB and not make a fool of yourself :)

(results includes tandems)

post-24697-0-75138500-1347536610.png

Dont get why you wouldn't put slicks on a mtb. I mean the bright thing is too put the tyres on best suited to the task. MTB stands for multi terrain bicycle. Tar is a terrain and a tyre is made for that terrain. If you rather see it as a mountain bike, well that is a problem because these things just about never see mountains.

Don't think MTB stands for multi-terrain bicycle but agree 100% with the rest of your post :thumbup:

Really don't get this insistance on doing road races on knobblies, I'd rather go faster on my slicks and save the knobblies for off-road.

I've seen guys in road races on MTB's kicking butt!

I think it was last year Burry won a road race on a 29'er fitted with road cranks beating the top KZN guys.

I just put slicks on my heavy dual sus for the first time and I must say it looks kinda... funny. But it rides a bit easier, so I'm happy

On the day I'll be selling spray on mud for the MTB'ers amongst us that washed their bicycles the night before the race.

http://bsalert.com/f-store/mud.jpg