Critical Mass -what's the point?

cyclenut

Can somebody please help me understand the exact purpose of Critical Mass.

Without doing any research I attended for the first time last week. A great vibe, but . . . .

Were we there to:

a) create awarenes of cyclists and show that even if we ride in great numbers we can pbey the rules of the road and be courteous to other road users

B) create awareness of cyclists and that if we don't get treated fairly we will break all the rules, skip red lights (where Marshalls have failed to secure safe passage) and generally be disruptive and ill-disciplined.

I know which camp I fall into.

It was apparent on the evening that was attendance from both camps (and possibly others), either way - not having everyone on the same page at these events is non-sensical.

If the purpose is to skip red lights, and one person decides to stop - he (or she) essentially becomes the problem (and a possible danger to the other cyclists)

If the purpose is to be sensible and well behaved, then skipping a red light just encourages others to follow - and you're the one who closely follows blindly across an intersection then it could just hurt a little.

Discuss!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree,I did fridays Pta one and I felt it was very dangerous! And the speed is so slow that some riders actually struggle to stay upright, and there is absolute confusion at red robots,as riders continue through...... The idea is great, the actual ride was far from.....

If you don't get it, you won't get it.

I think there is enough people who soak up the atmosphere and "get it" but here on The Hub, the main authority on all things two wheels, nothing is ever good enough.

So will it be fair to say that the don't geddits will not really be missed ?

I think there is enough people who soak up the atmosphere and "get it" but here on The Hub, the main authority on all things two wheels, nothing is ever good enough.

So will it be fair to say that the don't geddits will not really be missed ?

Exactly

First and foremost I thought it was awesome and enjoyed it a helluva lot plus the PTA marshalls did a decent job with the limited resources at their disposal and the size of the crowd...

...but... I cant seem to shake the feeling that:

1) It is nothing short of an illegal gathering and somebody is going to get hurt

2) Like I said somebody is going to get hurt and it is going to go the same way as the teeter totter thing on the 'Spruit. I saw a little guy there on a road bike that was waaaaay to big. Poor fella could only go straight since turning was impossible due to reach.

Edited by Ricky Bobby

I did JHB on Friday night and loved it, great vibe, great beer, great bunch of people to ride with.

This was a real win for me, check the price of that beer at the tavern behind arts on main.

post-12441-0-32592900-1346675296.jpg

and here i thought the whole point (besides the political angle) was to have a slow social ride, meet new people.. oogle the bikes, have fun and not stress about what other people are or aren't doing.. but maybe thats just me

I did JHB on Friday night and loved it, great vibe, great beer, great bunch of people to ride with.

This was a real win for me, check the price of that beer at the tavern behind arts on main.

Nice! I am riding with you next time :) Are those quartz prices?

Quartz is always cheaper than the real thing :ph34r:

Thats correct, R12 for a quart!

I did see S.I.R Maxxis by the monster truck before we all left again