RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

I rode home through Woodstock again yesterday and paid attention to the blacked out bits that I noticed the other day.

There are several points along the bike lane have been painted black, 'cat eyes' separators removed and yellow lines formally demarcating them as loading zones or bus stops. This means that cars, bakkies, trucks or busses are legally allowed to park in the bike lane at certain points resulting in cyclists veering out into the traffic to get past (and brave the cat eye lane separators each time). Else where, cars and taxis are just there because reasons.

There are one or two small resurfaced patches that haven't been repainted and reinstated as bike lane, so I will ignore those.

mmm perhaps I missed those. I do not cycle the entire way on the cycle lane, so it is probably on the sections I never ride. It is frustrating indeed, but until more people cycle to work, we need to accept that cars/busses take priority in transport planning. I think everyone just need to be super arragont about how awesome cycling to work is in the office. Rant to your colleagues about how you never have traffic, and how much time and money you save. Hopefully it catches on haha.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

mmm perhaps I missed those. I do not cycle the entire way on the cycle lane, so it is probably on the sections I never ride. It is frustrating indeed, but until more people cycle to work, we need to accept that cars/busses take priority in transport planning. I think everyone just need to be super arragont about how awesome cycling to work is in the office. Rant to your colleagues about how you never have traffic, and how much time and money you save. Hopefully it catches on haha.

The problem with cycle commuting is that it requires more than just bike lanes. Until the city and all the other involved people look at all of the requirements to make it work, you wont get people to use it.

To get people on bikes to go to work they need to be:

- People who have no requirement to be mobile during business hours

- People who do not have to transport any heavy equipment with them in order to perform their job function

- People who are not involved in school runs or other children related activities

Now for the Infrastructure needs which typically is provided by private business:

- Somewhere safe that the users can park and lock up their bikes

- Proper shower facilities with lockers for storing clothing and washing up items

- A way for staff to get benefits from using these. For example, give up a parking bay and get a share of that additional monthly spend back in salary.

Attitude changes are also required:

People who commute need to start being more open to looking out for their fellow cycling commuters and consider bike bus options. Safety in numbers is a real thing and yet there are so few ways to achieve this.

Anyone else with other thoughts?

Cheers

Jay

Edited by Tubehunter

All your thoughts make sense. I'll try to give opinion on all of them.

- I require a car for work. I drive my car in to work on a Monday, with my bike on the back, then commute via bicycle for the next few days and then simply take my car back on a Friday.

- You get saddle bags for that.

- Children can also cycle, they dont need to be dropped off.

These are the issues I think are most important:

-Trip-end facilities, e.g. showers, safe bike storage, lockers.

-Incentives from employers.

-Policies to force developers to include bicycle parking
-All new roads designed with cycling in mind
-Enforcement to keep cycle lanes clear

-Most importantly an attitude change.

Private cars are not the future of transport. Driverless cars however...that's where it is at. Combined with cycling and public transport.

All your thoughts make sense. I'll try to give opinion on all of them.

- You get saddle bags for that.

- Children can also cycle, they dont need to be dropped off.

All correct, except for these 2. 

Number 1 is true for LIGHT equipment, like a laptop or medic's kit or paperwork. Nothing more...

Number 2 is patently false until said lightie is around 8 or 9 years old. There's no way I'd let my lightie ride to school now, nor is there any way I'd be able to take him to and from school unless I used a bike seat (which I am prepared to do, if my wife approves) Though that would mean not riding the trails after work...

I'd still need my car to visit clients, though. And get stuff from the hardware store as and when, but that would be every now and then and not a constant need. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

I am sure some traffic congestion will be solved if Metro rail got their act together and did not have to cancel +/- 20 trains per peak,made space for bikes on a coach and developed to train stations into shopping areas with security ,which will hopefully get rid of the thugs hanging around at some stations. 

I am sure some traffic congestion will be solved if Metro rail got their act together and did not have to cancel +/- 20 trains per peak,made space for bikes on a coach and developed to train stations into shopping areas with security ,which will hopefully get rid of the thugs hanging around at some stations. 

don't get me started... 

CoCT is trying to wrest control of the rail system from Transnet for this very reason. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

don't get me started... 

CoCT is trying to wrest control of the rail system from Transnet for this very reason. 

This is correct. They managed to get MetroFail to allow you to take your bike onto the train during off-peak hours.

Taking it onto a train is not even that important, simple safe storage facilities at all stations will go such a long way. When I still stayed with my parents I used the train a few times, it is about 5km from their house, meaning my mom had to drop me off at the station. I would've gladly cycled there and then lock my bike up and get on the train.

Easy, simple.

My house is about 300m from a station and the office in Town is about 1km away, if they were reliable it would be no brainer. Plus at about R185 for a monthly return ticket it's a double score!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the way home yesterday we encountered a crime scene on the cycle lane (entrance to P/Island shortly after passing under the N1 and leaving the city).

I asked a police officer in the car if as cyclists this was something we needed to know about or if it was a cyclist. PO noted that it was one vagrant who stabbed another vagrant to death (on the cycle lane) so it was no concern for us.

I then noted that we cycle past the vagrants everyday, and that this took place on a cycle lane, so it does effect us and our safety...........a light bulb went off in his head as his whole approach in the conversation changed after that.

On the way home yesterday we encountered a crime scene on the cycle lane (entrance to P/Island shortly after passing under the N1 and leaving the city).

I asked a police officer in the car if as cyclists this was something we needed to know about or if it was a cyclist. PO noted that it was one vagrant who stabbed another vagrant to death (on the cycle lane) so it was no concern for us.

I then noted that we cycle past the vagrants everyday, and that this took place on a cycle lane, so it does effect us and our safety...........a light bulb went off in his head as his whole approach in the conversation changed after that.

Wondered if you had seen this Hairy. Rode past it as well, although I didn't stop to chat to the PO. Guess we need to be even more vigilant if this is what can go down of the cycle path...hefty

Whilst cycling towards Dolphin Beach I passed a walker from behind that was concealing a screwdriver in his sleeve. I cycled on not knowing what to make of it! Was it for criminal intention or self defence? 

Well done for having a chat good to know and nice to hear the police officer changed his approach, hopefully it'll stick.

I saw a bunch of them shouting about 1530 but nothing too untoward. Normal Tikkop behaviour. Close to the MyCiti stop at Woodstock but the bus arrived and they calmed down.

How do we go about putting in a request with the CoCT to continue the cycle path along the side of Marine Drive past Steven Johnson cars, all the way into town. Cycle commuters have no desire to cycle to a bus stop and the idea is quite absurd to imply that people will cycle to the bus stop and catch the bus with their bike given the current environment variables. (Is there anyone who actually does this in this country?) I understand the value in Europe where people ride the fold up to the station and then catch the bus or train into work and cycle from there into their office, but this is not Europe and the whole approach is not geared for that yet.

Back to the main point. The cycle lane needs to run alongside the harbour fence and join into town that way, so that it avoids this super quiet hotspot under the freeway. Anyone with a contact to send this suggestion in?

How do we go about putting in a request with the CoCT to continue the cycle path along the side of Marine Drive past Steven Johnson cars, all the way into town. Cycle commuters have no desire to cycle to a bus stop and the idea is quite absurd to imply that people will cycle to the bus stop and catch the bus with their bike given the current environment variables. (Is there anyone who actually does this in this country?) I understand the value in Europe where people ride the fold up to the station and then catch the bus or train into work and cycle from there into their office, but this is not Europe and the whole approach is not geared for that yet.

Back to the main point. The cycle lane needs to run alongside the harbour fence and join into town that way, so that it avoids this super quiet hotspot under the freeway. Anyone with a contact to send this suggestion in?

even free access through the harbour as a temporary solution ......

How many times can I click like?

Out of interest, has anyone tried riding the verge between the harbour palisade fence and the N1 between Paarden Eiland and town? Looks like here's a good few footpath options.