RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

21 minutes ago, DJR said:

Anyone cycling Voortrekker Rd through that section on a week day, is much braver (or, more likely, even dumber) than me.🤪

I must be king of the idiots. I once cycled from Somerset to Paarden Eiland all along Voortrekker. On a Monday morning. On my track bike

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, MORNE said:

I was there today…during loadshedding or whatever. What a clusterf@ck🤣. And as i stood in the line waiting my turn to be shafted by taxis running  the dead lights and not bothering with 4 way stop etiquette, a man on a spez mtb almost got run over twice in the space of 50m… 

I have a branch on voortrekker in kensington (right near Vye cycling actually!), it is mayhem.

I don't think there is space for a dedicated lane with hard barriers, so it will be like the saltriver green strip disaster.

much more worthwhile to me would be adding bike infrastructure to royal(maitland) cross the railway and then 4th/Nyman (kensington). build that and they will come. here indicated in the green line

image.png.5654f9eb4ab37a77a27d8137560fbbc1.png

2 hours ago, DJR said:

Anyone cycling Voortrekker Rd through that section on a week day, is much braver (or, more likely, even dumber) than me.🤪

I hate that section, even in a car ....

On 9/6/2022 at 8:38 AM, Jbr said:

Nice !

A1F186D4-6334-41B5-A050-AED704CF63B6.jpeg

I may have been responsible for this. I raised a defect with CoCT to fix a leaking pipe next to the cycle lane as it was starting to push the tarmac up. It only took then a week to sort it out and resurface. Minor inconvenience for some repair work.

Edited by Albatross

4 minutes ago, Albatross said:

I may have been responsible for this. I raised a defect with CoCT to fix a leaking pipe next to the cycle lane as it was starting to push the tarmac up. It only took then a week to sort it out and resurface. Minor inconvenience for some repair work.

yeah I actually only saw it one day but I don't ride that side every day, minor inconvenience on my side in the end, compared to the poop pipe between sunday and paarden eiland that looks like a permanent temporary fix... gets me to work on my skills though !

1 hour ago, Jbr said:

yeah I actually only saw it one day but I don't ride that side every day, minor inconvenience on my side in the end, compared to the poop pipe between sunday and paarden eiland that looks like a permanent temporary fix... gets me to work on my skills though !

stop being such a softie .... 

1 minute ago, Hairy said:

Pretty much how I looked yesterday when I came back from my kloofnek mission at 6:30pm

1 hour ago, Hairy said:

All downhillers and special forces should be made to watch this as part of their training ...... if only to make sure they don't think they are THE hardcore guys 😜

7 hours ago, Hairy said:

when are you trading in that trekker on two wheels for something more hardcore😅

Edited by MORNE

5 hours ago, DJR said:

All downhillers and special forces should be made to watch this as part of their training ...... if only to make sure they don't think they are THE hardcore guys 😜

How the rider at 3 minutes 31 seconds gets UP those stairs on the edge-ledge all of 15cm wide defies my logic, I watched that 3 or 4 times, to see if my eyes deceived me!
chris

• 1 month later...

Bad accident on road near Eerste Steen,Blaauwberg yesterday afternoon.A head on crash and looks like cars ended up on cycle lane.Be careful out there.Nowhere is safe