RANT: Cape Town City cycle lanes

Hairy

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks I didnt know how to put it so eloquently.

Just a pity they cant do more spot fines. I see at least 3 times a month, how a traffic cop walk around the parking lot behind our work and issues tickets. Why cant they do the same for cycle lanes is beyond me.

the nice thing about branded cars in the cycle lanes is that often their companies take note of infringements.

I wish I could break the car's mirror off.....

I have this exact thought every time i'm forced to veer off the cycle track to avoid a car parked in it. My only fear is that one day I act on this thought.. :o

always liked the idea, but not really sure it helps to build relations with motorist.

I think they have already made their feelings pretty clear about their relationship to us ...(and everyone else)

would be so easy to pedal past and stick a nice difficult to remove decal on their windscreens

maybe a fellow huber in the print industry could sponser us for a test period or a few thousand to start up

would get our problems in the news :)

#justathought

I think they have already made their feelings pretty clear about their relationship to us ...(and everyone else)

would be so easy to pedal past and stick a nice difficult to remove decal on their windscreens

maybe a fellow huber in the print industry could sponser us for a test period or a few thousand to start up

would get our problems in the news :)

#justathought

#justaconsideration

I understand your frustration, as I deal with this every day on the roads.

No need to deal with matters on the same level as people parked in the cycle lane though, and you or I put a sticker on the car and happily ride away, leaving the motorist behind who would now presumably be irritated, to share the road with other cyclists.

What I have also toyed with in my mind, and will more than likely never act on, is toss a stink bomb into cars that jump red traffic lights .... we see so many of these daily. The SB packet is nice and small, you press on the packet and a liquid filled bubble pops inside the package....gasses and pressure builds up till it pops and releases a revolting odour ..... it will have an impact....but then again, is this the way to deal with matters. 

Just to put out there the other side of this, I was walking down Loop Street yesterday across Wale Street. Some - ahem, cyclist - rode straight through the red lights and almost hit a bunch of pedestrians crossing the road. 

It's not only car drivers who break the rules. 

Flame suit on..

Just to put out there the other side of this, I was walking down Loop Street yesterday across Wale Street. Some - ahem, cyclist - rode straight through the red lights and almost hit a bunch of pedestrians crossing the road. 

Flame suit on..

no flame suite required ... cyclist is a chop to do that!

Flame suit on..

Being a cyclist or a driver is something you do and is not what your are. 

So if you are a dwis...then you will be a dwis cyclist and a dwis driver! 

• 2 months later...

WOW !!!

I understand road rage in a cage ... lets face it, nothing worse than being STUCK in traffic.

But why all the aggression from cyclists ?  Not like we are stuck in traffic ... 

okay, we play dodgems with large metalic objects.  We KNOW that way too many drivers are focussed on their social-media-connection-devices, and NOT on the road.  The list carries on and on .... but we KNOW this when we decide to take two wheels instead of a cage.

RELAX !

ENJOY the ride !!!

the poor caged prisoner will still be stuck in traffic ... but YOU can decide if you want to see red mist, or the lovely scenery, while enjoying your two wheels.

enjoy and be safe out there.

Edited by ChrisF