TokaiMTB: Table Mountain MTB Forum (TMMTB)

(Deon)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My excuse for not attending was because I was doing an adventure race in namaqualand, turns out the riding is way better on table mountain!

I would have expected to see more in the minutes - only five questions, I'm sure plenty more things came up off record.

Who paid for the newspaper ads? Would be interesting to see the proportion of people who attended from reading them. My suggestion would be to have a noticeboard up at Tokai and Deer park entrances. The people riding past will see it, and will make up about 95% of the people riding on the mountain.

edit: i forgot to thank all those involved....full support!

Edited by The Dictator

My excuse for not attending was because I was doing an adventure race in namaqualand, turns out the riding is way better on table mountain!

I would have expected to see more in the minutes - only five questions, I'm sure plenty more things came up off record.

Who paid for the newspaper ads? Would be interesting to see the proportion of people who attended from reading them. My suggestion would be to have a noticeboard up at Tokai and Deer park entrances. The people riding past will see it, and will make up about 95% of the people riding on the mountain.

edit: i forgot to thank all those involved....full support!

No, the biggest concern was wording. A lot of time was devoted to who and how one is eligible of becoming a member. It was a good question as it gave us an opportunity to go into detail on the membership and process for public comment. This seemed to be the main concern, how the public would provide comment. Transparency with funding also featured and was discussed and clarity on this matter was also provided.

This is a process and the first meeting was an intro to the Forum and it's constitution. 60 people was the number we hoped to attract, more responded and attended.

Advertising was in social media, newspaper, websites, newsletter and personal email invitation.

• 3 years later...

Good news: The Environmental Management Plan that has been long in development and review is about to be advertised for public comment starting 4th April and closing early May.

The document will be distributed through various electronic media including TokaiMTB, Amarider, PPA/TMB and SANParks TMNP. It's also available in libraries and various other spots across the metropolitan area. A full list will be provided.

A lot of time, money and effort from the various representative groups has gone into this revision and each one should be commended for seeing the process through. Just the commitment alone for following the legislated procedure as set out in the protected areas act has meant a good relationship between the reps and SANParks has been formed, with the last few reviews being proof that we are all working towards the same goal!

Hey Deon

I was up at the mast yesterday on a run and noticed that most of the trees are gone.

From the top it also looked as though the old trails have been tidied? Noticeably vasbyt and the bridal path.

What is the estimated re-opening worse case scenario and will those particular trails be re-opened or is there going to be a complete overhaul due to the protection acts etc?

I am just really interested as to when we are gonna be able to offer our landrovers and shovels to start creating this new sanctioned network...

You guys have done amazing things. Huge high fives and pats on the back to you all.

Hey Deon

I was up at the mast yesterday on a run and noticed that most of the trees are gone.

From the top it also looked as though the old trails have been tidied? Noticeably vasbyt and the bridal path.

What is the estimated re-opening worse case scenario and will those particular trails be re-opened or is there going to be a complete overhaul due to the protection acts etc?

I am just really interested as to when we are gonna be able to offer our landrovers and shovels to start creating this new sanctioned network...

You guys have done amazing things. Huge high fives and pats on the back to you all.

YEs, it's looking good hey :))) We've been up on several inspections and each time the clearing progress is noticeable.

The early access project is making headway as the trees on the Silvermine slopes and remaining plantation pine are removed. We met with the users that could potentially be affected by the planned corridor through which we could route riders up to Silvermine, and while it was not that well received for very valld reasons, we have already moved onto plan b and will be meeting with them again on the 12th. So keep fingers crossed, end of April here we come (Pine logging progress dependant)!! There might not be singletrack however, a full overhaul is planned but we'll see what progress is made albeit with easter and holidays already proving problematic.

Thanks for the offer to help build. Tokai has been and should continue to remain a public initiative, (hence TokaiMTB constituting in 2014) and we are getting close to planning the new trails now that the sensitivity study is complete. It's a study paid for by Parks through the Cycle Tour funding they secured in 2015 which highlights all the areas that could be considered sensitive from a water/soil/vegetation perspective, and so far the report looks positive.

In my discussions with the scientist involved, there could be certain allowances that based on the rationale I presented, may let these sensitive areas be used creatively. It forms part of the educational angle we have been working on and if successful, the experience points Tokai will over will be on overload for new riders, young and old... we'll get more into the trails at a later point because ultimately that is what we also consider most important, it really needs a thread of it's own..

In the meantime however TokaiMTB might be needing a different kind of support. The future of our involvement in the trails is unsure and we are obviously happy to provide the basis for new trails that allows any group to benefit from our work. As long as we have trails, right?

It would be sad not to be the group managing the trails, some of the members have over 14 years + maintaining and lobbying for trails so understandably, losing out in the last few meters will be shame - that's a lot of sweat invested! 

If time allows before easter, I'll start a thread about the trails. Lots of time and energy coming together now as we near completion of several planning projects. As they say, the wheels roll slowly but carry a lot of momentum!

The prospect of all of this is mouth watering.

As much as I resent the fires and the destruction, it looks as though the proverbial phoenix truly is rising from the ashes.

Having the right structures and the backing of Parks is going to such a change to the old bashing of heads.

It would be terrible if you weren't there to see the fruits of your endless labour, but hopefully the powers that be will keep things reigned in and allow the process to see it's course.

We really are lucky to have such great ambassadors ticking all the right boxes so patiently when we all know all you really want to do is rip into the trail building and ride bikes on the dam mountain!

Keep us all posted on the progress and when we can lend a hand.

Legends

Great news Deon!  

When will we be able to get in to start building / repairing any old trails that aren't destroyed?  Can this be done before the trails are officially opened?  Logic tells me that there should be no danger in doing that in the lower areas away from the harvesting?  Or not?  

Are the gums at the bottom out yet?  Or is that still a headache?

Great news Deon!  

When will we be able to get in to start building / repairing any old trails that aren't destroyed?  Can this be done before the trails are officially opened?  Logic tells me that there should be no danger in doing that in the lower areas away from the harvesting?  Or not?  

Are the gums at the bottom out yet?  Or is that still a headache?

As soon as we know... Still in discussion at the moment. Nothing concrete, hence no published date. 

Dunno on your second para. Deon and Mark are far better placed for that info. 

As soon as we know... Still in discussion at the moment. Nothing concrete, hence no published date. 

I see.  I'm obviously frothing to get started, as I'm sure is everybody.

It would be great to get in there and sort out some trails before it opens though.

cant wait.. what little greenbelts we have are being used heavily.. walkers are feeling pushed out because of all the riders, and ive overheard comments of people I ride past...

cant wait.. what little greenbelts we have are being used heavily.. walkers are feeling pushed out because of all the riders, and ive overheard comments of people I ride past...

You have a point. Hearing similar sentiments from other user reps, not to say they mind the inclusion but another user group on the trail does add strain and an obvious change to what they were used to. 

Here's the ad that appeared in the various publications on the 24th. 

Please note that the Environmental Management Plan will be made available for viewing and comment from the 4th of April and closes on the 4th May 2016..

post-13110-0-70970800-1459179717_thumb.jpg

The press release..

REVISED ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT PROGRAMME FOR ROAD CYCLING AND MOUNTAIN BIKING IN THE TMNP RELEASED FOR COMMENT

29 March 2016:  SANParks and the Table Mountain Mountain Bike (TMMTB) Forum have over the past few months been revising the current 2002 cycling Environmental Management Programme (EMP) for the Table Mountain National Park (TMNP). A draft of the revised EMP will be released for public comment on Monday, 4 April on the TMNP and TMMTB Forum websites while hardcopies of the report and maps will be available at various libraries throughout the Cape metropolitan area and selected TMNP offices.

The purpose of revising the EMP is to update the current programme, to confirm existing cycling routes and to propose new routes.  The EMP includes an updated Code of Conduct which comprises both cycling etiquette and compliance requirements to ensure safe, friendly and environmentally responsible cycling in the TMNP.  

Acting TMNP Park Manager Gavin Bell, said the review was long overdue and that the Park has been working with the widely representative Forum to produce a robust and practical EMP to guide and manage both mountain biking and road cycling in the Park into the future. Bell said he is encouraged by the identification of additional cycling routes to complement the existing network and thanked the Forum and Park staff for the hard work in getting the new routes into the draft EMP for public comment.

Meurant Botha, chairperson of the TMMTB Forum, stated that the Forum has made strong inputs to update and improve the EMP and to introduce new cycling routes which are proposed to extend the current network of cycling routes in the Park and improve linkages in the network.

The process and review of the TMNP cycling and mountain biking EMP is being facilitated by Simon Nicks from CNdV Africa to whom comments can be emailed: Planning@cndv.co.za.

Mountain bikers, road cyclists, other Park recreational users and the general public are invited to comment on the EMP which will be available from Monday, 4 April 2016 for viewing at the following Public Libraries: Athlone, Bellville, Cape Town: Central, Claremont, Fish Hoek, Grassy Park, Gugulethu, Hout Bay, Khayelitsha, Langa, Mitchell's Plain Town Centre, Mowbray, Simon’s Town and Tokai; and at TMNP offices: Kloof Nek, Tokai Manor, Silvermine and Boulders.

From 4 April 2016 the revised draft EMP can be downloaded from the following websites: www.tmnp.co.zawww.TMMTB.co.zawww.pedalpower.org.zawww.amarider.co.za and www.tokaimtb.co.za

-ENDS-

Edited by (Deon)