Pocket Knives ?

Scooter69

Reviving an old thread.

Does anybody have any experience with a Damascus

stell bladed knofe?

Keen to get one but want to know if it is worth the extra

money over a normal steel knife?

The big question is really what you want to use it for ?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a few. A Swiss Army Ranger and a smaller two blade Swiss , a Leatherman Wave which stays in my work bag for just in case. (Too big for the pocket and I'm not a pouch on the belt guy...) as well as a few really old Barlow knives with almost no blade left and a few no name brand wooden handle lock knives. I used to carry a Gerber serrated blade copy as an EDC knife but recently went shopping again and settled on an Enlan Coqui. Straight ground blade with no serrations. Great for everyday use. One day when I'm big I'll own a Spyderco. For now though the Enlan is made from the same steel (8CR13MOV) as some of the Spydercos and it is surprisingly tough. Holds an edge for a long time and if it grows legs, it isn't a huge loss. I could go through 3 Enlans for the price of one Spyderco of similar size. Mine gets used everyday.

Not a huge fan of big blades TBH. Was recently at a braai and a guy pulled out a cammo knife with about a 6" blade to check if his steak was done. First thought into my head was "Knob..."

I have a good few Spyderco's ,bought them many years back when they were only a tad more expensive than the regular knives from Gerber and such, now they have become insanely expensive.

They are also quite impractical in terms of everyday use or self defense, great showpieces and quite collectable nowadays.

Their best defense knife they have is the Civilian, however it's illegal to carry and it's a big bugger, the curved blade and serrations will demolish your assailant, unlike they explain it in the Hannibal books.

The Rescue was another very practical work tool of theirs.

It did the job it was made for and was almost standard kit to emergency services so they could cut safety belts.

For self defense stay away from serrated blades, you want to get that knife out once you stuck it in.

For this a really nice piece is the Native.

The Native is small and compact ,opens super quick and will do enough damage by the time you run.

This is my favourite Spyderco of all time, and I happen to have one stashed away.

http://www.flymaker.com/bbGallery/Q.jpg

What do you chaps carry for self defense ?

I like the AK 47 from Coldsteel, straight blade and it has a handy hook that has the blade extended the moment it leaves my pocket.

http://www.knifeworks.com/productimages/coldsteel/cs58lakb.jpg

The big question is really what you want to use it for ?

Wyatt, it would be my everyday carry around knife but I also have a leatherman.

I would also use it when hiking for just about anything really.

The famascus is impractical but looks stunning.

I also like the look of the AK47 you posted, could you give me more info on it please?

The other big question, which probably comes down to personal preference, is fixed or folding knife?

What are the pros and cons of both?

What do you chaps carry for self defense ?

I like the AK 47 from Coldsteel, straight blade and it has a handy hook that has the blade extended the moment it leaves my pocket.

http://www.knifeworks.com/productimages/coldsteel/cs58lakb.jpg

Very very very nice! Proper knife that.

@Wyatt, that Skelton is a really nice knife! Quite rare and expensive as well I hear. As for self defence, the only thing I can count on is my sense of self preservation. I wouldn't back me in a knife fight... the best form of self defense for me is to stay out of trouble!

Wyatt, it would be my everyday carry around knife but I also have a leatherman.

I would also use it when hiking for just about anything really.

The famascus is impractical but looks stunning.

I also like the look of the AK47 you posted, could you give me more info on it please?

The other big question, which probably comes down to personal preference, is fixed or folding knife?

What are the pros and cons of both?

Hiya Steven.

I vote for folding, it's more practical and less obtrusive.

The AK 47 comes in some new variations.

I will save up some bucks and get what I consider to be the most practical all day knife to carry.

It is the Coldsteel AK 47 mini.

A very grippy handle and is nice and compact, but still very effective.

http://www.coldsteel.com/images/products/58TMAK_m.jpg

Another stunner to look for is the Recon with Tanto blade.

Also very effective for close combat and will give lacerations quicker than your assailant can try and dish out attacks.

http://www.coldsteel.com/images/products/27TMT_m.jpg

The Lawman is a beaut as well, but a mere dream because of it's price.

5644066644_1854cb5dce.jpg

I have a 1st. generation Recon and a 1st. genration AK 47, they are both the big boys.

My AK is straight blade and the Recon serrated.

Careful buying online because of fakes.

The Coldsteel website has a full explanation on what to look out for.

Sharp Edge in Sandton is a pretty good bet.

Ooh this is an awesome thread.

I love buying hubby and well all men in my life knives.. it's the answer to what to buy someone for his birthday question

@Wyatt, that Skelton is a really nice knife! Quite rare and expensive as well I hear. As for self defence, the only thing I can count on is my sense of self preservation. I wouldn't back me in a knife fight... the best form of self defense for me is to stay out of trouble!

You never know bud, just that one moment, I have had to use my knife a few times where I never would have expected that I would need to.

Very very very nice! Proper knife that.

Indeed, a knife for life.

Very First knife I bought hubby 4 months into dating was a black Kershaw, it became a every 2e bday he would get a kershaw (4 in total) then I got him a Buck skinning knife, then a Orca diving knife and leatherman bigass multi tool. He has however lost 1 kershaw and first kershaw i got him was stolen 3 times and found it's way back somehow. . It broke a couple of months ago.

The kids have also now started the pocket knife thing.. but we got them really cute Bear Grylls pocket knives, they use them when they go fishing.

Def going to read through this whole thread.. xmas bdays and anniversaries come around every year.

While going through hubbies treasure chest now I found his ak47 bayonet. . Forgot he had it.

Edited by Gen

My small Swiss Army knife, the one with a corkscrew and beer bottle opener (also has a knife.. I think!) is permanently attached to my car keyring! But this knife is always in pristine condition as it is always in nearly new condition... reason being is I always forget to remove it on air trips so gets consficated! ;-( Those Sh*ts at the airport are getting rich off our forgetfulness....

Thanks Wyatt, also came across the Byrd range, budget brand for Spyderco and they look quite good. Not looking to spend more than R1000. The damascus steel knife I was after seems to be a fake. Apparently alot of them doing the rounds so beware.

My small Swiss Army knife, the one with a corkscrew and beer bottle opener (also has a knife.. I think!) is permanently attached to my car keyring! But this knife is always in pristine condition as it is always in nearly new condition... reason being is I always forget to remove it on air trips so gets consficated! ;-( Those Sh*ts at the airport are getting rich off our forgetfulness....

A colleague of mine also ended up at the airport with his swiss army knife, he hid it on top of a toilet stall wall and 2ys later it was still there. So ended well, it was a smallport, PE, though.