Newbie/ Couch Potato - losing weight/getting fit

Kanga

Hi Guys, oh yes and gals

I know you good people are used to people who are superfit and do a gentle 100km ride after work, well unfortuneately this thread will be "slightly" different, I will hopefully track how I get fit, learn to ride etc etc etc on your forum.

OK, I have bought a MTB :clap: and will now get on it and start getting fit and losing weight. The bike in question is a Specialized hard rock 26" with V Brakes, I know I know I should have bought a better bike, but will be happy to do so once I have dug my heals in and I know I will stick to this.

Scary bit, I am around (or A round :whistling: ) 138kg, 1.92 M so I need to lose somewhere in the region of 30kg.

The Plan is to ride to get fit and enjoy MelkBos and surround, get a seat for the 16months old lady in my life (her mom/ my wife might take up MTB to if I hang on long enough :ph34r: ) and take her for Sunday rides etc.

I travel a fair amount ( a few days a week and some late nights) but I plan to get three rides in a week at the least + the Saturday/Sunday ride with the little one.

First ride (Wednesday Morning 5.30am) was roughly 4km and good fun along the beach road

Tonight we try 6km derriere willing.

Any advice, comments, snide remarks etc welcome

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have a look at the "Cape Epic Battle Plan" thread, there is loads of valuable info there!

A guy called Excitement or something like that seems on top of his game!!

Good one Smolster :clap:

Hi Guys, oh yes and gals

I know you good people are used to people who are superfit and do a gentle 100km ride after work, well unfortuneately this thread will be "slightly" different, I will hopefully track how I get fit, learn to ride etc etc etc on your forum.

OK, I have bought a MTB :clap: and will now get on it and start getting fit and losing weight. The bike in question is a Specialized hard rock 26" with V Brakes, I know I know I should have bought a better bike, but will be happy to do so once I have dug my heals in and I know I will stick to this.

Scary bit, I am around (or A round :whistling: ) 138kg, 1.92 M so I need to lose somewhere in the region of 30kg.

The Plan is to ride to get fit and enjoy MelkBos and surround, get a seat for the 16months old lady in my life (her mom/ my wife might take up MTB to if I hang on long enough :ph34r: ) and take her for Sunday rides etc.

I travel a fair amount ( a few days a week and some late nights) but I plan to get three rides in a week at the least + the Saturday/Sunday ride with the little one.

First ride (Wednesday Morning 5.30am) was roughly 4km and good fun along the beach road

Tonight we try 6km derriere willing.

Any advice, comments, snide remarks etc welcome

Welcome to the fraternity. :thumbup:

It's easy. Train hard, eat less.

Stick to that plan for a few months and the Lardo you saw in the mirror this morning will be gone.

Its certainly not easy, but determination and enough willpower and you will get to your target, learn to ride for the love of riding, not merely to lose weight, the more you love it, the faster the fat will peel off.

Good luck and big UP. :thumbup:

Its certainly not easy, but determination and enough willpower and you will get to your target, learn to ride for the love of riding, not merely to lose weight, the more you love it, the faster the fat will peel off.

what he said +1000

Simple advice for a recovering athlete.

Step One: Design a training programme for about 1 month. Be sure to set reasonable goals, in terms of distance, speed and frequency.

Step Two: half all the distances AND go slower.

Step three: cross out every second session/day.

Step four: follow the new programme for at least a month before adding any distance, sessions or increasing the speed. (If you must cheat then walk only) You must develop the dicsipline to go out there regularly.

step five: slowly increase the frequency of the sessions ( reduce recovery time) (from twice a week to four times a week, ext)

step six: slowly increase distance and then finally speed.

Remember eat little and sleep lots.

Training partners help and infrequent races are good to measure your improvements.

Thanks, I am sure it wont be easy but hell we doing it.

Agreed, I certainly love the idea, now to put it in practise

Have a look at the "Cape Epic Battle Plan" thread, there is loads of valuable info there!

A guy called Excitement or something like that seems on top of his game!!

Mhh I think Excitements battle plan is more like Excrement :whistling:

Welkom hier by ons. I really admire guys like you just for the fact that you are making a start. No more excuses.

Baie baie dankie, Thanks much apreciated, but I should have done this years ago

It's easy. Train hard, eat less.

Stick to that plan for a few months and the Lardo you saw in the mirror this morning will be gone.

Sticking to the plan, is the plan. :thumbup: Thanks

Yip! Good luck.

As a famous hubber once said:

"The hills don't get easier, they get faster!"

Hopefully Soon :cursing:

good luck.

eat healthy and keep on the bike, and you will soon see the results...

Thanks

I lost 20kgs in 6 months, cycling 2 times a week 10-20kms and changed my diet, ate less and more heathly. If you do both, will see the weight fall off quickly. And drink lots of water.

Wow, I take my hat off to you :clap:

Simple advice for a recovering athlete.

Step One: Design a training programme for about 1 month. Be sure to set reasonable goals, in terms of distance, speed and frequency.

Step Two: half all the distances AND go slower.

Step three: cross out every second session/day.

Step four: follow the new programme for at least a month before adding any distance, sessions or increasing the speed. (If you must cheat then walk only) You must develop the dicsipline to go out there regularly.

step five: slowly increase the frequency of the sessions ( reduce recovery time) (from twice a week to four times a week, ext)

step six: slowly increase distance and then finally speed.

Remember eat little and sleep lots.

Training partners help and infrequent races are good to measure your improvements.

Sounds well fair :blush:

Thanks guys,

Edited by Kanga

welcome to the world of cycling, best advise i can give is to have fun dude!!! eventually you will be having such a joll on your bike you wont even realize you just did 100kms and lost 30kgs.

we ride and keep riding because we love it and enjoy it.

you will too.

good luck dude!! hope you have a joll!!

Remember, the hardest part of your "cycling life" is now, and from here on in it only gets better and more fun. Remember to listen to your body: if you really, really don't feel like riding, its not always laziness. Don't overdo it from the start, and remember that a short, 5km ride, is better than no ride at all.

Welcome, and happy cycling :thumbup: