The Audiophile/reference music thread.

Wyatt Earp

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

True to an extent, but not nearly to the extent that they want you to believe.

EDIT: Essentially, all you need to know is the thickness of cable required to carry the signal, and many high end cables have a higher effective resistance than cheap ass cabling. 

• Over very long lengths, cables can affect audio quality if the gauge of the wire is insufficient. Thin speaker cable at lengths of maybe 50 feet (15 meters for those living in the 19th century or later) or more will show a noticeable drop in quality.[34] Similarly digital cable over very long lengths will show noticeable signal degradation. However these are issues that could only really affect very large venues such as stadiums and concert halls where industrial grade (and relatively cheap) cable is used. This is the grain of truth that is heavily manipulated to sell very expensive cable to the monetarily overburdened.

Look, thats where we agree. The signal loss cannot even be factored into the equation from an audible point of view when working with speakers, DA Converters, Interconnects and speakers. The THD in a speaker cable is thousands of times less than in a speaker itself.

However, it can be MEASURED, it is however very very very very tiny.

So the science says you can measure it. The double blind test says you cant hear it :)

However, THEY do try and convince you that it is important..... Ask for measurements :)

Edited by Patchelicious

Nor analogue. It's a signal, nothing more. The speaker makes the ultimate difference. Oh - and in the case of an LP - the table & arm, not to mention head. 

But what about interference? On my Laptop for example I can hear buzzes and beeps such as harddrive noise as a navigate around on the desktop. Surely an encoded signal wouldn't include any of that noise?

But what about interference? On my Laptop for example I can hear buzzes and beeps such as harddrive noise as a navigate around on the desktop. Surely an encoded signal wouldn't include any of that noise?

That's a legitimate source of degradation, primarily due to the crappy sound card. 

That's a legitimate source of degradation, primarily due to the crappy sound card. 

I mean, we're talking about a workstation Laptop here. Not some Mac / Studio stuff. My phone has better sound quality.

I mean, we're talking about a workstation Laptop here. Not some Mac / Studio stuff. My phone has better sound quality.

exactly. Dedicated sound cards are far better at isolating audio frequencies and eliminating electromagnetic interference, but onboard ones aren't that great. Until recently. They're getting better, but still not that great on the cheaper motherboards. 

I have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX, and can honestly not hear any interference.  But then it has proper shielding of the audio circuitry.

I have an ASUS Xonar Essence STX, and can honestly not hear any interference.  But then it has proper shielding of the audio circuitry.

yeah, well, there we go - that's a dedicated sound card, not a cheap onboard one. Likewise, I have a high-end gaming motherboard with proper audio shielding on the soundboard. But then I also don't have any optical drives or HDD's in my computer. All SSDs

Unplug the power supply and its gone?

Ground loop!  gremlin of note....

Best solution is a gizmo known as a ground loop isolator

• 2 years later...

Looks cool if you're into vintage audio, but I doubt they were in the same league as Yamaha NS-1000.

Friend of mine has two sets of NS-10's, one in his studio and a brand new old stock pair in storage!

Looks cool if you're into vintage audio, but I doubt they were in the same league as Yamaha NS-1000.

Thanks.

Need to test them...

I'm in the live sound business so outdoor pa is our game. At home I enjoy some piece and quiet.

For some loud at home listening my bose quiet comfort earphones do the trick.