Steel Framed Bikes: Options and Advice

Witkop

Steel Bikes?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be the prefered steel frame and why?

• On-one 456
    • On-one Inbred
    • Ragley Blue Big
    • Ragley Piglet
    • Cotic BFe
    • Cotice Soda
    • Raleigh
    • others

I had 2 peace 9r's made of im pretty sure any steel gt could get their hands on and they were both awesome! I now ride ti and miss the feel of steel sometimes.

Nice

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

also have a Peace.LOVE LOVE LOVE IT.

AAAhhh all this talk of the Peace makes me want my gold one back!! hahahaha

Which would be the best steel frame Mtb to buy?

Cotic

Ragley

On-one

others

Define best, there are no wrong or right answers.

Best could be

Best value

Best handling

Best backup

Strongest

Lightest

Most boutique

Prettiest

Quirkiest

I say get what you want.

Edited by rouxtjie

853 niner... 531 Stevens. Sorry for not clarifying. Without being pedantic and going off topic I think the gist of the matter is not who is right and who is wrong on this topic, more that with steel frames and steel bikes, opinion and experience wins the day, not advice.

All the people touting their Inbreds absolutely love them I am sure, but if I had my choice of bike I wouldn't choose one. I am not right and they are certainly not wrong.

Gaaning aan about 531 vs 853 vs 4130 is a total waste of time. Again, I own and ride bikes made from all 3 types of tubing. A fully rigid SS in every type too.... They have all done plenty of adventures with me and they all absolutely rock.

Dude, buy what you can afford and buy something that doesn't need any type of additional chain line altering tensioner.

The track ends on the Inbred are easily sorted out with a good set of chain tugs. In fact, you can even get some chain tugs with a hangar on if you ever decide to ruin your magical steed and put gears on it.

Another thing to consider is a SS specific rear hub. They make a huge difference in the feel and performance of the bike.

They really really do.... More than you think

I would like to take a moment to dissect your post a bit.

Also bear in mind, not to create a debate nor argument, but it just goes to show how we all agree, disagree and have our own opinions.

I find a distinct feel of the ride quality depending on the type of steel being used.

I remember when I was on the Kona team back in the day.

Steel was big and Reynolds on MTB's was costly but we all knew, it had just the right amount of spriginess and ride feel we were looking for.

We were given Kona Kilauea's with Reynolds 631 tubing.

That bike was the one bike that changed my life, and also complicated it.

With the big introduction of the alloys and carbons I was quickly sucked in to the world of bling.

However I was never really happy ,the closest I got was my KHS Alite, but that was hardly near what I recall from my old Kona.

My Kona frame has since developed a crack and I still have the frame with me, and yes I can get it repaired.

The challenge came in when I started hunting for a steel frame, first on the 26 ' platform and I simply couldn't find anything that "tickled my fancy"

The fact that I started riding a 29'er made matters even worse, so as a result I ended up riding alloy and titanium bikes and later carbon still hunting for that dream 29'er.

Now a few years down the line, I have three great bikes, all of then different tubing and different designs, each one having a distinct different ride quality and feel.

The most comfy of the lot, and of any bike I have ridden, is the Budnitz by far.

So in short, I firmly believe the tubing can have an impact on the overall ride quality.

SS specific hubs, been there done that and unless the bike comes equipped with one, I will still opt for a conventional hub.

I would rather drop some cash on a hub with near to instant engagement than a SS specific hub.

I changed from a non spesific carbon frame SS with shimano hub and tensioner to a on.one inbred with SS frame and fire eye SS hub .The instant engagement is great and the SS inbred frame is superb ,but the whole bike is 2 kg heavier and from 38 x18 on the carbon frame ,i now need 36x18

I would like to take a moment to dissect your post a bit.

Also bear in mind, not to create a debate nor argument, but it just goes to show how we all agree, disagree and have our own opinions.

I find a distinct feel of the ride quality depending on the type of steel being used.

I remember when I was on the Kona team back in the day.

Steel was big and Reynolds on MTB's was costly but we all knew, it had just the right amount of spriginess and ride feel we were looking for.

That bike was the one bike that changed my life, and also complicated it.

With the big introduction of the alloys and carbons I was quickly sucked in to the world of bling.

However I was never really happy ,the closest I got was my KHS Alite, but that was hardly near what I recall from my old Kona.

My Kona frame has since developed a crack and I still have the frame with me, and yes I can get it repaired.

The challenge came in when I started hunting for a steel frame, first on the 26 ' platform and I simply couldn't find anything that "tickled my fancy"

The fact that I started riding a 29'er made matters even worse, so as a result I ended up riding alloy and titanium bikes and later carbon still hunting for that dream 29'er.

Now a few years down the line, I have three great bikes, all of then different tubing and different designs, each one having a distinct different ride quality and feel.

The most comfy of the lot, and of any bike I have ridden, is the Budnitz by far.

So in short, I firmly believe the tubing can have an impact on the overall ride quality.

SS specific hubs, been there done that and unless the bike comes equipped with one, I will still opt for a conventional hub.

So basically what you are saying is that you have 3 great bikes which you thoroughly enjoy equally but all are different and have different ride qualities?

And that you have tried MANY different steel types and tubing and that your experience has given you a better idea of what you like?

Not to be funny but I believe you are in fact picking apart my comment and then just reiterating my points without realizing because from where I'm sitting it looks as though you would rather prove that you know more than me than be constructive and positive.

I am not of the bickering type so because you rode on the Kona team and have tried all types of frame material (which I obviously haven't) you obviously are an all powerful Yoda you are and I bow down and to your ultimate and all powerful opinion........ which is what it is and what I was trying to say in the beginning before we started swinging handbags, just an opinion.

OP, see what you did? You made people fight over their opinions! hahaha..... Now, lets all start talking about religion?!

So basically what you are saying is that you have 3 great bikes which you thoroughly enjoy equally but all are different and have different ride qualities?

And that you have tried MANY different steel types and tubing and that your experience has given you a better idea of what you like?

Not to be funny but I believe you are in fact picking apart my comment and then just reiterating my points without realizing because from where I'm sitting it looks as though you would rather prove that you know more than me than be constructive and positive.

I am not of the bickering type so because you rode on the Kona team and have tried all types of frame material (which I obviously haven't) you obviously are an all powerful Yoda you are and I bow down and to your ultimate and all powerful opinion........ which is what it is and what I was trying to say in the beginning before we started swinging handbags, just an opinion.

OP, see what you did? You made people fight over their opinions! hahaha..... Now, lets all start talking about religion?!

What a pons you are.

For real ?

Is your post for real ?

That was definitely not dangle boasting or looking for a fight.

As for me making a contribution.

Don't make a poll on steel frames and which is best. There isn't any best. Buy/ride the frame that you fall in love with.

As for me making a contribution.

Don't make a poll on steel frames and which is best. There isn't any best. Buy/ride the frame that you fall in love with.

Yes couldnt have said it better, steel in itself is a "warm" material, its old school and delivers that ride that every hardtail owner wants...where the frame seems to be alive / real. There are dedicated sites to ye ol steel bikes whether they are in a mtb or road bike form. So with that in mind I think that when buying a steel frame you MUST get what you want, nothing else will do, price doesnt matter, it could be a bargain bin jobby or handmade frame from the worlds best welders / designers.

You'll cry when you see how some steel bikes are treated :unsure:

At least it got ridden i guess

http://www.daveharper.com/inetphotos/KonaB4_1.JPG

After

http://www.daveharper.com/inetphotos/KonaAfter1.JPG

Yes couldnt have said it better, steel in itself is a "warm" material, its old school and delivers that ride that every hardtail owner wants...where the frame seems to be alive / real. There are dedicated sites to ye ol steel bikes whether they are in a mtb or road bike form. So with that in mind I think that when buying a steel frame you MUST get what you want, nothing else will do, price doesnt matter, it could be a bargain bin jobby or handmade frame from the worlds best welders / designers.

Exactly what he said. Steel is a terrible material for bikes - its heavy and flops around like a drunk rubber band. We don't buy steel because its cheap, fast or light - we buy steel because its cool, different and kinda like fek youuu.

Buy the one that appeals to your heart rather than you head. The one that stirs the emotions not the one that is practical.

years back a friend bought an Igleheart from a 'pro' from the States who was out here on holiday, 853 tubing, flexed like hell, bike was a smorgasbord of cool componentry, Paul rear derailleur, Halson inverted fork, we're talking circa 1999

a customs steel frame is surely on everyone's bucket list.......