Bryton buyers beware

dirk.leroux

Firstly, I think the Bryton units are great and I love the brytonsport.com site. In fact brytonsport.com is what finally tripped my choice in favour to a Bryton over Garmin. But I suspect that like so many other things the local service is letting the product down.

So, before you buy a Bryton I think you should know these facts that the Bryton rep told me after I bought a defective unit:

1. Bryton SA does not see you the cyclist as their customer.

You can already make some conclusions on what level of service to expect if you are not the customer. When I asked for an apology the Bryton rep said: ”Look sir, this is you local bike shop’s problem, I don’t want to talk to you, they should be doing that. You are not my customer they are.”
  1. You can buy a defective unit (broken when you open the box) that may not be replaced or repaired under the warrantee.

I bought the flagship Rider 50 and it was broken when I opened the box. My LBS wanted to swop it, but didn’t have any more stock so they phoned the rep and it all started. They had to send the unit to Jo’burg to test if the defect is covered, then after the test they will determine if they’ll send a replacement unit back to CT. After my LBS gave me a new unit I asked the rep outright: “Is it possible that my unit that was bought with a physical defect might not be replaced?”. The answer: “Yes, there are defects not covered by the warrantee and not all units are replaced.”

1. For any defect you can expect to be without your unit for a minimum on 1 week.

For a clear physical manufacturing defect on their top of the range unit I had to wait 1 week. The rep came and checked the unit, at which point I expected the replacement, but no. Once he checked it then my LBS could send it to Jo’burg. My friend sent his away and he waited 2.5 weeks for the unit to be repaired under warrantee.

I thought about just returning the unit and getting a Garmin, but I like the unit and everything else about the Bryton ecosystem, so I think I’ll take the risk, but if bad service makes you irate then you might wanna look around some more.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to hear about your bad service. I have had only the best service from Jason at Bryton. Well, i must also mention that i bought my Bryton Directly from them.

Sorry to hear about your bad service. I have had only the best service from Jason at Bryton. Well, i must also mention that i bought my Bryton Directly from them.

I haven't. Was told straight it was 'not my problem' when I had an issue with the Elixir 3's on the bike I bought from him.

A 3 week old bike. Had to deal direct with the Avid agent and another bike shop that was willing to help me.

Edited by Mojoman

I haven't. Was told straight it was 'not my problem' when I had an issue with the Elixir 3's on the bike I bought from him.

A 3 week old bike. Had to deal direct with the Avid agent and another bike shop that was willing to help me.

That Sucks! :thumbdown:

That Sucks! http://1.1.1.3/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/thumbdown.gif

Its fine, I got it sorted (the front brake persistently squealed, SRAM changed both my G3 rotors to HS1 rotors and different pads, LBS fitted all for free!).

But I wont make the mistake again of buying anything from them again!

Shame really as I feel the products are good but evidently after sales service is a bit lacking....!

What if you could e-mail bryton international & explain to them the service you experience locally. Surely their service should be way better (& maybe that can help to sharpen up SA's service)

Keep us posted.

While I understand your issue etc. I would just like to know why in south africa, everyone thinks it is the right to contact the company or the rep for the product?? Like the rep said, the store is his customer!! if this was not the case then he would not have a job and the company would have a showroom and sell directly to the public. With that said, yes stores generally have super poor service, but by running to the rep etc justs encourages the store the behave poorly. I normally try and get hold of the MD or board of directors and will constantly email them until my issue is resolved. This in turn filters down to the employers in the store.

While I understand your issue etc. I would just like to know why in south africa, everyone thinks it is the right to contact the company or the rep for the product?? Like the rep said, the store is his customer!! if this was not the case then he would not have a job and the company would have a showroom and sell directly to the public. With that said, yes stores generally have super poor service, but by running to the rep etc justs encourages the store the behave poorly. I normally try and get hold of the MD or board of directors and will constantly email them until my issue is resolved. This in turn filters down to the employers in the store.

The most powerful person in a company is the MD's secretary. The mere threat she carries is enough to get a company's collective A into G!

Dirk's first and second post are complaints about product service? Welcome to the Hub, Dirk!

I don't think the rep was out of line at all and yes, your LBS should have done the complaining to the supplier on your behalf. And I don't think it's unreasonable to wait a bit for turnaround, especially in the midst of a transport strike where people are losing their lives to delivery goods in this country. Heck, even when there isn't a strike, a week's wait isn't a trainsmash. I'm sure you are disappointed that the unit didn't work but there is always a process in determining when a problem started with any product ... and sometimes that can start in the shop, or in transit.

Edited by Mushilele

I agree with those posting above here........ get the attention of the guy on top. Did it with Vodacom and Shameel and, I eventually became good budies.

I agree with those posting above here........ get the attention of the guy on top. Did it with Vodacom and Shameel and, I eventually became good budies.

That's just crap service. If you have to brown nose the guy on top to get what you need it means the service people down below arent doing their jobs. Why do we see good service as a bonus? You paid good money for a product and it should work. Now!

My Bryton also packed up. Luckily my LBS swopped it with one off the rack and sorted the story out with Bryton themselves. In my opinion that is how it should be done.