I thought Mountain Bikers were helpfull

MTBer

Just a little rant.

On Saturday afternoon my wife and a friend went for a ride down the Braamfontein Spruit and had a puncture and then experienced problems with the spare tubes valve. No fellow cyclist even bothered to stop to offer any assistance. One guy made a feeble attempt by asking if help was needed while he whizzed by, which he clearly would not have heard any answer, maybe he felt he could sleep peacefully cause he had asked.

Is everybody just to involved in their own ride that they dont wont to help or are they too scared that they might not be able to fix something and the two women would think less of them

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone that I ride with regularly would have stopped and offered help.

Come on guys, who doesn't stop and help other mtb'ers these days?

Chops.

Agreed common decency must prevail here !!

Just a little rant.

On Saturday afternoon my wife and a friend went for a ride down the Braamfontein Spruit and had a puncture and then experienced problems with the spare tubes valve. No fellow cyclist even bothered to stop to offer any assistance. One guy made a feeble attempt by asking if help was needed while he whizzed by, which he clearly would not have heard any answer, maybe he felt he could sleep peacefully cause he had asked.

Is everybody just to involved in their own ride that they dont wont to help or are they too scared that they might not be able to fix something and the two women would think less of them

Must have been roadie wannabe mountain bikers day on sunday!

That is pi$$ poor! I always thought one of the main differences between MTB’ers and Roadies is that MTB’ers always offer to stop and help?????? I know my riding buddies do. :thumbdown:

Edited by Greg29

I will always offer assistance if I see someone on the side of the trail.

Most MTB'ers that pass me if I happen to be doing repairs also ask if everythings ok.

Your wife and friend need to come ride at groenkloof, seems the folks are far more friendly there ;)

Firstly, that's not great to hear. Whilst it doesn't excuse this, perhaps the fact that you are NOT in a remote spot makes people think that they don't need to worry to help as much because you are within walking distance of the tar road and theoretically, a lift from "someone" else.

Another thing is people have no time, so if you have scheduled a 2 hour ride, to take 20 minutes sorting out someone else is an appreciable chunk of your ride time. Again, not saying it's cool but that's my 2c.

Edited by Scooterza

Just a little rant.

I am suprised no-one stopped to assist if you were two ladys with a breakdown, especially after seeing the pages of endless banter on the 'Hubbers, Please help a lady' thread! One would have thought you would have been swamped with help!

Just a little rant.

Very sad to hear this. Mountain bikers in general are great guys... You do however get the inbred one that only think of themselves.

It's sad that mountain biking is the new golf. All the rich, snooty and arrogant twats that used to play golf now all ride Spaz Epics and think they own the trails...

Please tell you wife and friend that they are always welcome to join the Slow and Funfit groups for some great fun rides where everybody helps everybody.

Interesting rant. Just last week during the Engen MTB race in Wellington I got a puncture 15 kms from the end which was too big for the sealant to seal. No problem as I quickly plugged and bombed it and was on my way within a few seconds. But during my repairs, and young lady and her male cycling partner pass me and she asks "have you got all the tools you need?". I said thanks I'm fine. But as they cycle further I hear her partner crap on her and asks what would she have done if I had said no, to which I heard her answer she would've stopped. I think he was horrified.

To be honest, if it's in a race, I'm normally near the back of the field and I need all the time I can to finish so I'll be less inclined to help. If it's a social outing somewhere, I'll always help.

I am suprised no-one stopped to assist if you were two ladys with a breakdown, especially after seeing the pages of endless banter on the 'Hubbers, Please help a lady' thread! One would have thought you would have been swamped with help!

Most won't know a lady if she sat in their laps. :D All talk and no action :D

Most won't know a lady if she sat in their laps. :D All talk and no action :D

They do seem to be less oblivious to avatars though....

That is pi$$ poor! I always thought one of the main differences between MTB’ers and Roadies is that MTB’ers always offer to stop and help??????

Nope, no more than roadies - we're all the same, some help, some dont.

Also this is hearsay and there are two sides to every story - even Lance's, perhaps.

Also what happened in the end?