MTB Baggies online

pistonpomp

Where can you purchase decent MTB baggies online in SA, except for the usual CWC and buycycle? I'm on the proverbial annerkant-die-berg in the western Cape and are not so keen on driving around in the city - it's too far and there's just too much traffic which makes me gatlam :thumbdown:

Any help preventing me from driving to Sodom en Gomorra will be awarded with decent Breedekloof wine. :w00t:

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Speak to SIR Maxxis, Patches, Peaches.....they wear baggies to church, shower, pool, work, sleep...they should be able to give good references...

I ride with B&B

Bib & boardshorts. Mostly O'Neal and Fox shorts and my old Capestorm bib.

Think I will do so as well thumbup1.gif

It makes the most sense to me. Might work out a little more expensive but the fit of a good bib can't be beat.

Agree!

I use all my bibs damaged in crashes with holes from bushes, etc under a pair of regular baggies.

Works a treat.

Just make certain that when you are seated that youare not sitting on any pockets with zips/fastners that could cause discomfort on a ride.

I use all my bibs damaged in crashes with holes from bushes, etc under a pair of regular baggies.

Works a treat.

Just make certain that when you are seated that youare not sitting on any pockets with zips/fastners that could cause discomfort on a ride.

Do the same with the bibs under baggies.

Also, try look for baggies that have a taper towards the knee. First Ascent are cool. Luckily the chamois "net" detaches. It hangs a buit funny.

I ride with normal lycra and board shorts too. Works 100% for me. However, it might only be because I am 2m tall, but sometimes the bottom of the shorts catch onto my seatpost quick release. Only sometimes though. Maybe the shorts are too long, or wide, or whatever. Either way, just make sure yours won't do that. Otherwise, it's awesome.

I ride with normal lycra and board shorts too. Works 100% for me. However, it might only be because I am 2m tall, but sometimes the bottom of the shorts catch onto my seatpost quick release. Only sometimes though. Maybe the shorts are too long, or wide, or whatever. Either way, just make sure yours won't do that. Otherwise, it's awesome.

Does your QR "bend" outwards and thereby creating a hook?

Try turning the clamp 180 deg so that the QR hook is in the other direction.

See the attached poor sketch as reference

post-5403-0-13599700-1350538251_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you wear baggies over bib shorts? What is the reason for the baggies?

Some of us are Trail/AM riders, and some of us ride Enduros as well. In these disciplines you encounter various drops of waist height, long rock gardens, downhill switchbacks etc. For me, baggies inspire confidence in these sections as it gives you additional protection.

It also saves money as most falls will ruin a pair of bib shorts.

The reason why a padded liner or bib shorts are required below the baggies is because in these forms of riding you ride your bike for long periods and you also do a fair amount of climbing.

Ever seen someone on a 150mm trail bike wearing lycra?

I also wear boardshorts over lycra. A pair of baggy MTB shorts cost R 800.00

Capestorm lycra shorts are R 250.00.

Fox, O neal, Billabong, etc. boardshorts R 350.00. So I save R 200.00

Plus I can wear the boardshorts to the beach.

The reason I wear boardshorts over the lycra is the same reason I wear boardshorts to the beach instead of a banana hammock. It looks more presentable, in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

Why do you wear baggies over bib shorts? What is the reason for the baggies?

....bibs damaged in crashes with holes from bushes...

Honestly, I do not want to see anyone's bleeding butt through their ripped lycra. My Hoss 3/4 baggies literally saved my whole leg and butt in a big crash at 50km/h.

Some riders also tend to wear their sheer lycra well past its throw away date. :eek: