Indurain says he still believes Armstrong is innocent

JustinHayes

"Despite USADA’s findings, despite the 1000 pages of evidence, despite the sworn testimony of 26 people, and amongst them eleven of his Lance Armstrong’s former team-mates, Miguel Indurain has said that he doesn’t consider the Texan to be guilty of the charges made against him.

“So far I believe in his innocence, he has always complied with all the rules,” he told Marca, saying that he couldn’t understand how Armstrong was sanctioned without a positive test. “I'm a little surprised. It is a bit odd that it was done only with testimonies. The standards were one way and now it seems that they have changed.”

Armstrong’s former team-mates explained in their testimonies how the US Postal Service team avoided testing positive. The accounts include statements saying that general manager Johan Bruyneel appeared to be tipped off in advance of surprise controls, as well as testimony about how riders would avoid EPO positives by microdosing, hiding from testers if necessary and also traveling to remote locations where they were less likely to be checked.

Those sworn statements also included details of undetectable blood transfusions which were used by the team’s top riders; a decade later, there is still no working test to detect when riders have injected their own blood.

However Indurain still doesn’t appear to register why a lack of positives aren’t proof that Armstrong was clean. “He followed all the rules there were at the time and had no problem. Every [legal] case he took, he won them. In sports they have seized upon the testimony of fellow riders to take away the Tours.”

The Spaniard does admit that he’s surprised at one aspect, though: Armstrong’s decision not to contest USADA’s charges, and to instead walk away despite knowing that he would lose his Tour titles and face a lifetime ban.

“He has always been a fighter. What surprises me is he doesn’t fight any more, even when the regulations are not followed. There is a regulation that says you can only appeal within eight years [the statute of limitations].”

He concluded by saying that he thinks Armstrong will appeal, although that avenue appears to be closed to him as he elected not to follow the standard process for fighting anti-doping cases.

The usual arbitration process was deemed to be binding by Texas federal judge Sam Sparks on August 20th, thus giving Armstrong one clear path of defence. He elected not to follow that path, and now appears to have exhausted all options"

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/13131/Indurain-says-he-still-believes-Armstrong-is-innocent.aspx#ixzz2A8Dtg2WF

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From some other trawling. Apologies if already posted;

Lance Armstrong's shadow has released an official statement that "due to recent events it can no longer stand behind him".

I loved watching big Mig race but let's be honest. He spent way too many hours in the sun without head ware frying an already below standard brain.

He looks a little silly but it goes to show the mindset of the peleton - guys were playing the cards they were dealt. most of the top guys (Indurain, Mercx before him, Contador after him) etc doped to the extent they could without (generally) getting caught cos that was the game. Sure (very few) others decided to either accept poor odds and stay clean or fold cos they thought the game stunk / decks were stacked and they didn't want to go there.

Point is though Armstrongs attitude is not so shocking to the peleton of the era - hence most of them keeping quiet. Those that are speeking out are generally either self serving in what they say now (eg Millar looking for a new career, tyler and the gang looking to minimise their punishment and transfer responsibility for their actions) or are suffering from foot in mouth (as is big mig)

Edited by dracs

technically he is correct.

You can't change the rules to suit an agenda. But its been done and the sport is now ******. Thats what the cycling world wanted its what we got. Live with it.

I loved watching big Mig race but let's be honest. He spent way too many hours in the sun without head ware frying an already below standard brain.

I'm sure that "below standard brain" will whip your "overdeveloped ego's" ass on any given sunday, riding backward, on a tricycle, going up suikerbossie and only using one leg.devil.gif

I'm sure that "below standard brain" will whip your "overdeveloped ego's" ass on any given sunday, riding backward, on a tricycle, going up suikerbossie and only using one leg.devil.gif

No I don't believe his brain will whip my ass but I believe his legs certainly will. Is that what you meant? Not sure how you know anything about my ego since I never said I was better I than Mig in any way.

What I implied was his saying Armstrong was innocent was stupid and saying he should appeal when he has already closed the door on an appeal process was also stupid. Your anger seems to indicate you agree with Indurain. That's nice

He is saying that according to the rules that govern cycling then and now, he is innocent. Yes there are all these testimonies and other factors that for some people will remain nothing more than a he said she said type of conviction. The rules have not allowed for this and Mig is obviously not happy with this form of evidence to prove someone guilty. It sets a precedent in sport that may come back to haunt many other athletes in their career. What's to stop the next shooting star being taken down from the sport by a group of individuals comcing forward and making similar claims to get them banned?? Not so stupid actually.....

Statements like this just serves to illustrate why cycling at the highest level is in such a mess. Add to this the fact that McQuaid told riders, staff and DS's not to cooperate with USADA as they were going nowhere.

EDIT: The fact that tests didn't exist for what he was doing does not make him innocent. Later tests on retained samples proved his guilt.

Edited by jcza