Cyclist knocked down in St James this morning

babse

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Special mention to Frail who went on an awareness & memorial ride yesterday visiting the PPA, the family...

Example:- Give those drivers a bicycle and show them what it feels like on the bend when truck or bus come past...

It is lack of management will that allows a dangerous situation to continue.

Get the GA CEO out on a tandem and let him experience the danger.

just got tweeted that 567 capetalk will speack to golden arrow and a witness(probably retief) of this incident. tweet is 15min old so should be coming on air soon

FYI I had the camera in a mount on the dash knowing the busses do that every day it was a video running! So I was acctually not doing anything illegal.

I have tried to get GabS drivers to behave for 2 years with no luck. So I will find it very difficult to see you side as I have only had problems with the drivers....like them driving behind me IN the cyclelane and hooting for me to get out the way?

Maybe you could use this incident to get the GA CEO into a car with you and take him to these hot spots. I probably wouldn't do it now, but after a few weeks when things go back to their "status quo"

try to use it as a win -win scenario and make a press thing out of it (that they are actually trying to sort things out and both of you can put pressure on the council for additional bus stops. This way they are more likely to assist as they are not being hung out to dry...just a few thoughts

just got tweeted that 567 capetalk will speack to golden arrow and a witness(probably retief) of this incident. tweet is 15min old so should be coming on air soon

I heard it on the way to the office this morning... Was basically an announcement that they would be investigating, phoning any and all witnesses to get their statements and continue internal investigations and disciplinary proceedings if warranted.

From what Retief said, the bus didn't slow down as he passed, nor did he slow down after hooting to alert the cyclist of his presence.

Kieno did a good job of telling all road users to stop being a bunch of ***** and respect the law & be courteous, careful and considerate, as life is precious etc etc.

I heard it on the way to the office this morning... Was basically an announcement that they would be investigating, phoning any and all witnesses to get their statements and continue internal investigations and disciplinary proceedings if warranted.

Glad the

From what Retief said, the bus didn't slow down as he passed, nor did he slow down after hooting to alert the cyclist of his presence.

Kieno did a good job of telling all road users to stop being a bunch of ***** and respect the law & be courteous, careful and considerate, as life is precious etc etc.

http://1.1.1.2/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif glad this tragedy is not falling on deaf ears and CT and rest of SA is taking note. His death has been noticed. Does anyone know who he was as they have not mentioned a name so just wondering if he was a tourist here alone?

Edited by Capcha Photography

http://1.1.1.2/bmi/cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum//public/style_emoticons/default/thumbup1.gif glad this tragedy is not falling on deaf ears and CT and rest of SA is taking note. His death has been noticed. Does anyone know who he was as they have not mentioned a name so just wondering if he was a tourist here alone?

According to the po po, he hasn't yet been identified. Probably not carrying any ID or anything on him.

That part of it is just bleddy stupid. And very easily avoidable.

AS promised: #4298, yesterday DF Malan Street, Cape Town CA543 784(704)

post-509-0-67232400-1351233806_thumb.jpg

Edited by GoLefty!!

Anyone considered donating an old bike to make one of these in respect of the cyclist? I'd be happy to paint and organise it, but I just don't have a spare bike. It is an effective gesture of condolence and definitely gets the point across.

http://www.guardian....cycling-victims

I like this idea as a bold statement to be placed at the scene for a week or two, but make sure it is a truely unuseable bike or it will be redistributed, this is not the UK after all. A white painted plywood bike cutout could be even better.

As I recall, earlier thread mentioned the family will be traveling down to Cpt this weekend, so they've been notified, implies drivers identity is know.

has just not been made public it seems.

G

According to the po po, he hasn't yet been identified. Probably not carrying any ID or anything on him.

That part of it is just bleddy stupid. And very easily avoidable.

I'm Durban and stay off the roads, much as I'd like to ride on them. There are some truly inspirational efforts being made by a few people to make drivers aware and cyclists safe. Hats off to them. Cyclists that behave stupidly and badly detract from these efforts; hence the continual anti cyclist threads (most recently even on Think Bike).

In my limited and non legal experience, respect and obedience of, and to, the law is seldom voluntary. It needs enforcement. I have seen and heard that motorists in Aus, Europe and the US respect pedestrians and cyclists somewhat more than in SA as the consequences of killing or injuring a cyclist or pedestrian are generally much more unpleasant than in SA. Legal, civil and social unpleasantness. You get fined, lose your licence or even end up in jail, face punitive damage claims and you (and/or your company) get pilloried in the press, social media etc.

PPA are doing something, provincial authorities a little and mational authorities (CSA included) next to nothing. Only cyclists and organisations like PPA can step up their efforts. My vote is for lobbying authorities at all levels then through civil action against organisations that flout the law like Golden Arrow, company drivers personally (object to their driving permits for a start) and motoriists. PPA should also chase these through the media and make drivers (and their companies) aware that, if you kill or injure a cyclist, you will be chased down, exposed and have to fight for your innocence, not just walk away or hide behind platitudes (GA).

The trouble is that the police who generally do very little, will seize this as an opportunity to arrest someone for littering....

Yes I believe our society is that f***ed up.