EPO as a recreational cyclist

Dirtbreath

I designed a system like this 12 years ago. Basically a large elastic band in the down tube which 'winds' up on demand, either when freewheeling/descending or cruising on the flat (the percenatge parasitic loss is tiny). It can then be released either for a short burst, or when climbing. Like an elastic band powered propeller plane, just with more control. There is a small internal gear in the BB shell which distributes power to the crank. I did the exercise mostly as a fun project for commuting, rather than for cheating...It would still show up on any X rays anyhow.

This is amazing ... I read up last night there is even a US patent out for a design like this ... Although it will be picked up by an X-ray, will it be picked up by a thermo or electromagnetic scanner? 

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is amazing ... I read up last night there is even a US patent out for a design like this ... Although it will be picked up by an X-ray, will it be picked up by a thermo or electromagnetic scanner? 

Damn. Should have filed it...

If I was going to use it to cheat I'd probably shield it from the x ray machine with a lining inside the down tube and BB (race bikes are light enough these days that the weight is just ballast to bring it up to UCI rules), and then I'd build in a sneaky water cooling system linked to the bidon to cut it's thermal signature..... If I thought that way...

Lazy to actually do the hard work

The way I understand it these drugs allow you to work harder because you recover quicker and therein lies the gain.

Just squeezing a vial of EPO into your arm does fkol if you don't put in the work. That is my understanding of it.

It may still be legal over the counter in Switzerland...find the right doctor to look after you there and you can have an expensive but legal experiment as long as you don't compete :thumbup:

Are u sure?

And you know this how?

????????????

There’s a reason I ask this....they tend to be very conservative in dishing out medication without a prescription.

Buying over the counter stuff like headache pills or hay fever meds for example can lead to questions at chemists in switz... you can’t buy headache pills on a grocery store either....so I’m not sure what they gonna do when I ask for 500cc of epo or whatever the measurement is

Edited by SwissVan

Are u sure?

And you know this how?

There’s a reason I ask this....they tend to be very conservative in dishing out medication without a prescription.

Buying over the counter stuff like headache pills or hay fever meds for example can lead to questions at chemists in switz... you can’t buy headache pills on a grocery store either....so I’m not sure what they gonna do when I ask for 500cc of epo or whatever the measurement is

:whistling: used to be, don't know about now but take a turn by your local pharmacy and report back  :ph34r:

I would just be interested to know, what difference it would really make to us average Joe's, Will it be like superman or is it jut that 5% extra.

From what I as a layman understand,between 4 and 11 % dependent upon your numbers

From what I as a layman understand,between 4 and 11 % dependent upon your numbers

EPO...Will do nothing if you haven't been on a training programme...you will need a dodgy trainer if you are using it illegally etc...

you amount of red blood cells will be thickened....good for at the moment o2 and training up...but the blood volumes get thickened ...( not good)...bigger chance of adverse clotting etc..

ps dont touch the stuff...

excellent article. thank you 

I would just be interested to know, what difference it would really make to us average Joe's, Will it be like superman or is it jut that 5% extra.

5% gain is tons of training to gain when already fairly fit

The way I understand it these drugs allow you to work harder because you recover quicker and therein lies the gain.

Just squeezing a vial of EPO into your arm does fkol if you don't put in the work. That is my understanding of it.

Yup, spot on. Same with most performance enhancers and roids. You spot the bloated and puffy boets at the Virgin Active that believed the myth that popping Dianabol will make you huge without work from a mile away.

Not condoning the use of performance enhancers, but without actually putting in the extra work they aren't going to be of much help.