How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

I've actually been thinking about this for some time. Out in the Valley of a Thousand Hills, beyond the tar roads, there is some epic enduro riding waiting to be discovered. I've stood at the top of distant "road to nowhere" tar passes out there that peter out to dirt roads, frustrated to hell that I can't go any further with my Tarmac. Google Earth shows vast swathes of untapped mountainous country that makes me very itchy. I originally thought of my next bike being a CX bike so that I could ride into the Valley + backpack and when I get to these special places, just keep going. But now tossing up the idea of a monstercross bike, because connecting all these places are also endless goat tracks and paths as well.

On another note, I've also thought about a moustache handlebar being a good idea for the Freedom Challenge (when I eventually get round to it), esp. those long flat headwind stretches I hear about in the Karoo. What do you reckon, think it could work?

A pic of at the top of one of those road-to-nowhere tar passes looking out to what still needs to be explored...

Your first paragraph describes exactly why I built my Cotic and what I use it for.

Of course it can work - Personally I wouldn't be able to find Luxy type bars with a wide enough flat top for such a ride. But many guys use them on backpacking/ touring type setups. Depends what kind of RASA you're attempting I guess.

• Replies 669
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your first paragraph describes exactly why I built my Cotic and what I use it for.

Of course it can work - Personally I wouldn't be able to find Luxy type bars with a wide enough flat top for such a ride. But many guys use them on backpacking/ touring type setups. Depends what kind of RASA you're attempting I guess.

A nice H bar would work.

http://blog.jonesbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/blog_titecwrap2.jpg

Edited by the nerd

A nice H bar would work.

http://blog.jonesbikes.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/blog_titecwrap2.jpg

Yeah agreed.

I would use my Carnegies before a Luxy on FC.

Yeah agreed.

I would use my Carnegies before a Luxy on FC.

The only thing is proper H bars cost more than a Cross frame... 

What wheels did you run before the Enves? 

The only thing is proper H bars cost more than a Cross frame... 

What wheels did you run before the Enves? 

On the X? Built it up with the ENVE's first time.

On my SIR I had Crests before building up my ENVE XCs.

On the X? Built it up with the ENVE's first time.

On my SIR I had Crests before building up my ENVE XCs.

Ya on the X. I'm struggling to find mtb spaced brake track rims don't want to go to discs if I don't have to.

Ya on the X. I'm struggling to find mtb spaced brake track rims don't want to go to discs if I don't have to.

PM'd

So if I had to convert my Momsen SS could I keep my Giant 29er wheels? What tyres should I run? Skinnier cx tyres?

So if I had to convert my Momsen SS could I keep my Giant 29er wheels? What tyres should I run? Skinnier cx tyres?

Ya you can put on cx tyres. I've run 35c x tyres on my 29er wheels.

Jeez some cool stuff you okes have posted but the challenge for me was to use as much as I had in my garage to keep the cost down but end up with as close as possible to the monstercross idea.

It is now ready to ride and I did a quick suburb shake down ride, tar mostly and then a bit of 'off road' through the servitude.

On the tar it felt like a heavy road bike and that's about it besides that weird feeling when you go for the brakes and it doesn't have that bite hydraulic discs have .......

In the bit of jeep track and windy single track there is around home I noticed that as Eldron said you need to ride with your hands on the hoods else you are just too far away from the brakes!

Plan a ride up Butchers hill tomorrow afternoon and back via the yellow route at Thaba. Will report back and hopefully have some pics in the sun and it's natural hunting grounds [emoji41]

"that sweet middle ground between a cyclocross bike and a 29’er that makes it the best all around bike one can build"

post-271-1424110274,2268.jpg

Equally at home at the road bikers coffee stop ...

post-271-1424110329,6508.jpg

Or the trailhead coffee shop ....

post-271-1424110378,5223.jpg

Need your wits about you but it was lekker in some single track :)

post-271-1424110430,873.jpg

Thanks to these guys for putting up with all my crap

post-271-1424110484,4675.jpg

This pic probably sums up this bike best!

Lekker Bennie, where has Justin moved his shop to, as I see it's different from when I was last there, just before the highways were starting to be done a few years ago?

Lekker Bennie, where has Justin moved his shop to, as I see it's different from when I was last there, just before the highways were starting to be done a few years ago?

Its now in Meyersdal Mall... Its a way better location for him!