How to build a MonsterCross Bike 101

Eldron

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so how to you decide on the frame size for a monster cross ,do you go for a size smaller than your mtb?ie if you ride a 21inch do you go for a 19 or do you get a good position on your normal size?

how much is it for an edm frame with round tubing now or any

PM me the size frame you're looking for... we can talk... Edited by Ryanpmb

mmmmm they will be like hen's teeth since the tubeset is now hydroformed....if you see one in your size...buy there and then.

Anyone who wants one PM me - I know of a few kicking about. Just bought a Large Moondust old EMD frame (damn you Rouxtjie).

Oh - I have the mtb BB7 calipers and while the cable reach is tight - it works. CRC didn't have any road ones when I was putting together my Monster.

After reading a bunch of posts:

@flowta - thanks for the SRAM info.

@pro commuter - smallest frame you can manage is best for MonsterCross I reckon. Mtb frames are quite long and adding the length (and drop) of a road bar can make you quite low. As Rouxtjie said - short stem and short reach bars are best.

If you lower yourself to buying off the shelf there is only one option really:

post-2412-0-77913900-1384408534_thumb.jpg

After reading a bunch of posts:

@flowta - thanks for the SRAM info.

@pro commuter - smallest frame you can manage is best for MonsterCross I reckon. Mtb frames are quite long and adding the length (and drop) of a road bar can make you quite low. As Rouxtjie said - short stem and short reach bars are best.

OMW that is nice, no that is gorgeuuuuuuuus. Just wet my pants

On my list of bikes to get for sure!

• 1 year later...

So after my 'what do you do with one of these bikes' comments I have decided to build one to take with on our camping trips [emoji41] so that I can get some riding in and it normally ends up being some combination of tar/gravel road exploring.

This is what I have so far .... As per my wanted ads I still need some road STI shifters and a 29r back wheel. Unlike the beauties I see here I am going more for the functional type build [emoji5]️

post-271-1423419760,7448.jpg

Looks like I may be sorted for a back wheel - have the hub and spokes from when I converted a wheel to thru axle for my SSR and a rim from Kiwi I'll fetch just now .... ja ja I know the spokes may or may not be the right length but I'm holding both my thumbs :)

Now just the damn shifters :(

Any ideas to get something simple up and running while I look for STI's at a reasonable price? Maybe normal old style road brake levers and bar end shifters like those tri bike ones?

She lives and breaths (alomst).

Still missing a fork bung to finish and ride her but she's aethetically complete :-)

Can't wait to thrash some trails on her...

do those road shifters work on the mtb rear derailer?

do those road shifters work on the mtb rear derailer?

Yes but they have to be 10spd road shifters and 9spd mtb RDas they have the same pull ratio.

10road and 10mtb does not work - 9road and 9mtb does not work.

Sorry for hijacking your build and how to Eldron  :blush:  but the progress continues  :thumbup:

Wheels coming later today, will cut the steerer tube tonight ....

attachicon.gif20150210_143515.jpg

Nice!

No need to apologies - this only adds to the thread!!!

Edit: That stem looks too long. Not normally too long but with MonsterCrossers you need to spend a lot of time on the hoods (to reach the brakes so your hands are quite far forward) so a shorty short stem ups the comfort levels.

Edited by Eldron

So close to being done .... Just need a centre lock rotor 'bolt' thingamajig and to do the tjoop less. Then a quick check through all bolts and settings and I can ride it, I guess Monday will be the test day [emoji2]

Almost everything came out of my bits and bobs in the garage, costs so far:-

Right shifter - 500ZAR (I had a faulty left but intended to go 1*x anyway)

Mechanical disc calipers - 240ZAR

Wheels - 620ZAR (had a front wheel but all nipples needed to be replaced, rear I had a hub and spokes, rim from Kiwi 270, total build costs plus sort front wheel 350)

Sundries - 200ZAR (bar tape, brake outer)

1560ZAR total

Will use it mostly when we're away on camping weekends for those go ride on tar/gravel roads just to keep riding and and check out the surrounding areas. The gearing is not ideal but it's what I had to work with ... Maybe someday I will go to 1*10 with the MTB RD and stuff and a bigger front!

post-271-1423946029,896.jpg

post-271-1423946050,166.jpg

post-271-1423946072,3949.jpg