Bad Attitude MTB ers

Vetseun

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and my riding partner have a saying when we pass someone on our MTB, if they're friendly, then they must be noobs.

I asked around 10 people at last week's MTB Challenge if they needed help and got a quick roadie stare, at most.

This is definitely a new phenomenon, and is getting worse. Last year at the same race, when stopped to get my energy bar out of my Camelbak, I was offered help by 85% of passers by. This year nothing. Not even an acknowledged of the help I offered.

c'mon, we're a friendly bunch here on the hub, what happens to us when we get on our bikes?

Its almost like the old Landy tradition of flashing your lights at another Landy. If you do it these days you might as well drive with your brights on all day.

especially in and around the mechanics workshop

I think its isolated to the newbie's of the sport who have not been taught by their older riding buddies the basic etiquette of the sport .

those of us who have been around know the "unwritten rules "

i wave, say hello or do the "roadie nod" depending on my speed, company, how tired I am, or mood i am in

Being fairly new to the sport, I have noticed it only once so far. Overall everyone has a word of encouragement, asks if you are ok etc should you be crawling next to your bike or inspecting it for some arb reason.

Yesterday at Majik my back brake seized while going over the 2 humps. I somehow managed to get it unstuck but as I came round the corner there were a father / son team where the boy's bike also had a stuck back brake. Another MTB ninja was already there helping and then sped off.

I guess you will get the grouches every once in a while no matter what sport you are in. Overall I can only say thanks to the incredible camaraderie there is out on the trails - it has kept me motivated!

I had a broken chain to fix during the 94.7 MTB ride. It happened on the last 25m of that crazy uphill (I think refered to a Wesbank). I walked to the top to get it sorted out. I was passed by by plently cyclists and not even one person asked if I needed a link or help or whatever. Maybe I just looked competent? Still would not hurt to ask tho..................or maybe the last thing on everyones mind was to stop and help after that monster of a climb???? eek.gif

especially in and around the mechanics workshop

It seems like there are more landys on the roads than Toyotas these days. Mountain biking is much of the same. If you want to do something unique these days, Mountain Biking is NOT the way to go.

i was out training the other day, i had my son with me and thought that it would be an ideal time for him to practise a tube replacement. we had many cyclists passing us and shouting 'u need help'. they were roadies,mtb'ers.

yesterday on the club ride we did the Llandudno route - just too many cyclists to greet every one. but we (roadies) encouraged all those that we passed on the climb up to top.

I even greet labourers.

I greet labourers more than I greet lycra-rers. ph34r.png

Does that make me a bad person?

It seems like there are more landys on the roads than Toyotas these days. Mountain biking is much of the same. If you want to do something unique these days, Mountain Biking is NOT the way to go.

yeah, the Toyotas made it home

I was at this one event a while back in the east of Pretoria.... stood at the front of the field cause I was early. Parked there and watched everyone getting ready, getting in line. Just chilling there on my bike waiting for the start... lekker rustig, THEN these mountain bikers that you are probably referring to (or that I can relate to) came from the side of the starting line and made their way through to front of the field. FFS!! WHY!? There was such limited space to get through, so I said "where do you want to go?" Then this prick flipped and kakked me out huh.png

Such an inconvenience to everyone else who made the effort to be in line and on time to get their positions, but no, they have to make their way through everyone just to get to the front. Dit maak my die moer in!!! cursing.gif

I have seen these species at other Gauteng XC events as well. Not all XC mountain bikers are like that, I must say, but they seem to be trending in this scene, of which I am getting more gatvol lately.

I love my riding and respect others on the trail (or farm roads ph34r.png). Leave your attitude at home and rather start enjoying what you do and have some manners.

I am heading over to to the Enduro scene....

Its a very general statement to make about roadies... usually the flick of the hand or tilt of the head is because the person is 20m away from u on the other side of the road... if you had to greet you would have a hoarse voice at the end of every ride.... its a lot easier when you are passing each other on a single track? I would say people greet as an acknowledgment of the sport… we all suffer together regardless?

As for not helping, well shame on them if it was a training ride. In a race I guess its every man for himself at the sharp end of it, so if you don’t have your spares you are going to wait a while for the people who ride for fun an scenery.