TheCuban

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the total ascent of the 94.7?

The Argus is 1319 or thereabouts.

Funny enough my garmin (with elevation correction enabled) says 1545m for 2012 Argus and 1546m for 2012 94.7....

I think both a little high, but the comparison might be right. Argus has a few bigger climbs but lots of flat sections too. 94.7 has bugger-all flat sections.

Edited by dracs

i am there like a bear,,,, booked flights everything......i am in

I still need to book but hopefully we can discuss it over a cold one long before then

• 2 weeks later...

So having achieved a 2:58 at the 94.7 (more like 93.3). What are the stats for a sub 3 result on the Argus?

First 2 thirds on Sundays ride was average on 34k's/hr and ended around 31km/hr during and after N14.

Averaging close to 37k's/hr on the Argus seems rather ambitious?

Argus 2012: Janse Van Rensburg, Reinardt 2:36:17 1/29835 M 1/23431 $ 1/71 M Elite 1/2358

94.7 2012

Janse Van Rensburg, Reinardt 2:10:18 1/19362 M 1/14660 $ 1/94 M Elite 1/2112 43.61

Edited by Bianchisti

Argus 2012: Janse Van Rensburg, Reinardt 2:36:17 1/29835 M 1/23431 $ 1/71 M Elite 1/2358

94.7 2012

Janse Van Rensburg, Reinardt 2:10:18 1/19362 M 1/14660 $ 1/94 M Elite 1/2112 43.61

I know you're doing it the other way around but I would imagine there's no more than a 3% different in RJvR' ability between these performance. So if you plan on improving till Argus 2013, by how much do you think you will improve realistically and work out the numbers from there.

Aah my favourite race. I agree a fast 94.7 doesn't equate to a sub 3 Argus.

I was 3 mins quicker in this years 94,7 at 2h49 but only did a 3h11 Argus starting from E. thumbdown.gif

BUT, the E bunch rode like crap with only a few okes wanting to work and we were all 4 mins behind the scheduled average at Simonstown for a sub 3. They say it went downhill from there huh.png

If you say few okes wanting to work, were you part of that few?or just sitting behind like all the others!!

I would think you are not going to make it ph34r.png . Having accepted this as factual opinion and having come down from all that way from JHB, you should just stop pedaling and park your bike at Olympia cafe (especially if we are using main road again) for a morning tea and double chocolate meringue.... the best in CT!! drool.gif . Stop for at least 20 min, enjoy the view wave at the other fellows blowing like mad, then swing your leg over your trusty steed to carry on again, till the next stop, for a wee, cause you had some tea :)

To do Sub 3 in good weather you need to start in Group A, B or C... your seeding is going to be the biggest problem. Unless you can pull some strings with the race office you'll be seeded around E/F and that's an almost impossible task to go under 3.

The new thing is a sub 2.5hr Argus since 90% of all cyclist have done a sub 3hr. Now that would be a club worth bragging rights

The new thing is a sub 2.5hr Argus since 90% of all cyclist have done a sub 3hr. Now that would be a club worth bragging rights

2.5hr or 2h50? The former might be possible if you were pro and were loaded on amphetamines... nuke.gif

To do Sub 3 in good weather you need to start in Group A, B or C... your seeding is going to be the biggest problem. Unless you can pull some strings with the race office you'll be seeded around E/F and that's an almost impossible task to go under 3.

In 2007 i did a 2:58 form group F and I was 34th in my group so its definitly possible. I even think in 2011 a guy did a sub3 from group L

My first sub3 was in the pouring rain (group D as mentioned before).

2.5hr or 2h50? The former might be possible if you were pro and were loaded on amphetamines... nuke.gif

Actually 2h30. 2h45 is a really good goal for a amateur cyclist

Edited by Jaco-fiets

Or riding one of those old full fairing recumbents. What happened to those? I wish that someone would bring some eccentricity back to the Argus!