A Sub 3 Argus?

TheCuban

ALL THESE TECHNICAL DETAILS,,,,,ALL I WANT TO DO IS RIDE MY BIKE :whistling: :whistling: AND GET A SUB 3 :blush:

Stop RIDING and start TRAINING... weirdly, there is a difference...

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody on here (or know of) broken the sub 3 barrier for the first time when being 40 years of age plus?

I'm sure there are a bunch of guys that continue to break sub 3 after they turn 40. I'm just wondering if it is possible to do it for the first time after you are 40. (I'm sure it's possible but would like to hear the story behind it if anyone one hear has done it).

Definitely possible.... given genetics and enough correct training. There are several guys who are riding sub 3 at 50+

You could even finish the Epic having never ridden a bike a year before... if you do it right... :)

Stop RIDING and start TRAINING... weirdly, there is a difference...

FUNNY I WOULD SAY THE SAME :whistling: I LIKE TO JUST RIDE, JUST RIDE. AND EVERY NOW AND i THEN LIKE TO GO FASTER

DIPS RUNS, TUCKS ROLLS AWAY

Edited by dipslick

I also think, the A bunch has the potential to put down a faster time than all the other groups, maybe even the Elites. Haven't ridden there but from what I've heard up front its about racing and position, in the groups its all about the time.... IMO

Age Groupers ride together like friends whereas Elite and Vets race each other constantly trying to burn each other out. A's would be your best bet considering you don't get dropped by the main group.

Definitely possible.... given genetics and enough correct training. There are several guys who are riding sub 3 at 50+

You could even finish the Epic having never ridden a bike a year before... if you do it right... :)

Ping ping ping Peter Wheeler, he's animal!

Anybody on here (or know of) broken the sub 3 barrier for the first time when being 40 years of age plus?

I'm sure there are a bunch of guys that continue to break sub 3 after they turn 40. I'm just wondering if it is possible to do it for the first time after you are 40. (I'm sure it's possible but would like to hear the story behind it if anyone one hear has done it).

Hi,

I started riding casually at 43. Did a 4:30, then a 3:50. After the 3:50 I was motivated and joined a cycle club (Outriders).

Fitness built really quickly and Gerhard Genis hurt us over the December/January period of 2010/2011 with lots of long rides and interval training. Did not think I had improved much, but on the day I had a blinder in the great weather of 2011. Did a 2:53 out of C group at age 45.

Suffered from too much riding and not enough training since then ;>)

A couple guys and myself entered our first DC in 2010 and so we did lots of riding (not training). Long base rides up to and over 200km.

I didn't own a heart rate montor, much less a power meter or anything fancy.

On the Argus day in 2011 my basic Cateye computer malfunctioned, so I had no idea of time and pacing etc. As I crossed the finish line I pulled my phone out my pocket and checked that it was less than 3 hours from my start time and that was the first time I knew. Confirmed result was 2h53.

So, it's possible to just ride your bike and do it, but you need to put in some miles in training.

You should have a sub 2h40 94.7 - comfortably, IMO.

Need to be able to hurt at various times to make sure you aren't in the wrong splits. Get to the front before the top of Smits and get in the paceline.

You need good weather and a good start group, obviously.

YEAR | # SUB 3 FINISHERS | GROUP THAT MADE IT | SEEDING INDEX

2005 | 240 | Group A | 14.6%

2006 | 800 | Group F | 16.8%

2007 | 1,300 | Group G | 18.4%

2008 | 1,700 | Group I | 22.4%

2009 | 150 | Only Elites | 10.8%

2010 | 130 | Only Elites | 12.5%

2011 | 1,000 | Group F | 18.4%

2012 | 570 | Group C | 15.3%

2013 | 450 | Group B | 12.5%

I imagine weather plays the greatest role on the day. This year the weather was pretty good and only 450 made it.

2007/8 must have been proper tail winds.

Average seeding required of 15.7% for Argus, of which would have been a time of 2hr 30min for 94.7 last year.

cool numbers bro.

looks like 2007, 2008, 2011 where the good weather years to do it. In retrospect my decision to do it on a hyperama bike, after a batchelors v1.08 and after a bachelors v1.11 was not the wisest!

cool numbers bro.

looks like 2007, 2008, 2011 where the good weather years to do it. In retrospect my decision to do it on a hyperama bike, after a batchelors v1.08 and after a bachelors v1.11 was not the wisest!

Neither was the idea the night before, to swap my big chainring on a MTB running knobblies to a 53.... and getting it stuck on said 53 at the bottom of Smitswinkel.... luckily in those days it was a bit shorter, although the extension would probably not create more pain...

Interestingly, 94.7 last year, the 1000th finisher finished in 2hr 46min i.e 34km/h. E group got 30 riders across in that time.

The weather that morning was quite windy coming through town and slightly windy on the Kdorp highway...

2.92W/kg avg, 3.33W/kg NP = 2:58 (225 & 257 @77kg)

Pretty average power numbers. Seeding and ride tactics on the day make a big difference, as everyone says.

Now I agree. Seems to require fairly ordinary numbers (no disrespect). Looking at the numbers alone makes it appear really easy. Something we know is not the case.

Thanks for sharing

Hi,

I started riding casually at 43. Did a 4:30, then a 3:50. After the 3:50 I was motivated and joined a cycle club (Outriders).

Fitness built really quickly and Gerhard Genis hurt us over the December/January period of 2010/2011 with lots of long rides and interval training. Did not think I had improved much, but on the day I had a blinder in the great weather of 2011. Did a 2:53 out of C group at age 45.

Suffered from too much riding and not enough training since then ;>)

Awesome! nice work.

There is hope then :clap:

I think I might have to join Outriders.

Eish, thats close...

In a way I hate how the sub-3 defines this race. If you ride a sub-5 or sub-4 everybody congratulates you, if you ride sub 3h20 you have to explain what went wrong!

Hahaha! :clap:

well put!