Club Cyclists arrested &fined-Umhlanga

ShaughnK

So I heard a story that on Saturday morning a group of cyclists out for a club training ride in Umhlanga were pulled over by a Traffic Cop and given stiff fines, the leader of the group was arrested and taken off to Jail and the support vehicle was also stopped and fined.

It sounded like he fined them for obstructing the road and not riding in single file, etc. which seems a pretty dubious reason.

I havent seen it mentioned on the Hub anywhere. does anybody know details.

Reasons for the fines etc ?, perhaps a crackdown on Rude Roadies ?

I heard it was a big Afrikaans traffic cop that arrested them, no racial incidents involved and he certainly wasnt going to be open to financial 'inducement'.

Edited by crowdude

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, let the flaming begin. devil.gif devil.gif

Let me get the first salvo in. I dont know if this really happened and if it did and it is true, they really must have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. Possible that a lot of complaints was received about the cyclist behaviour on the road and this Cop thought, that's it, no more.

Kudos to him for not being open to financial inducement.

edit = typo

Edited by Wannabe

The story didnt make mention of how they were driving or if the fine was justified but good to hear there are some honest cops out there.

OK Sorry. I have edited my original post.

I was trying to say he stopped them for a reason, not because he was "hungry or thirsty'

This is going to be interesting. Popcorn time. Would really like to hear it from the dude who got arrested. Love to know exactly what it was he did to get arrested.

well it wasn't me or the club i belong to.. (shew)!!

I have to admit though that the M4 is notoriously busy and still cyclists insist on riding 2 or 3 abreast - the false sense of security of the back up car may be their reason - but no excuse. At the same time, I can imagine it must be quite difficult to find decent training routes in that area as the options are few and far between. Hope they haven't spoilt it for themselves now and they ban all cyclists from now on??

It must be scary getting locked up and put into a police holding cell ..... wearing tight fitting lycra and disco shoes ph34r.png

laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png

So I heard a story that on Saturday morning a group of cyclists out for a club training ride in Umhlanga were pulled over by a Traffic Cop and given stiff fines, the leader of the group was arrested and taken off to Jail and the support vehicle was also stopped and fined.

It sounded like he fined them for obstructing the road and not riding in single file, etc. which seems a pretty dubious reason.

I havent seen it mentioned on the Hub anywhere. does anybody know details.

Reasons for the fines etc ?, perhaps a crackdown on Rude Roadies ?

I heard it was a big Afrikaans traffic cop that arrested them, no racial incidents involved and he certainly wasnt going to be open to financial 'inducement'.

Serves them right for trying to keep themselves ienglieshes with a big Afrikaans cop. They should have arrested the lot of them.

Serves them right for trying to keep themselves ienglieshes with a big Afrikaans cop. They should have arrested the lot of them.

Absolutely!!!..........sluit hulle op

Ignorant bastards

I wonder if they never offered up their coffee money would the leader of the group not have been arrested?