Rapha Festive 500

Lexx

I honestly don't see the point of this challenge. This time of the year is the only time one really gets to take a well deserved break with family. I don't understand why you would want to break yourself over an 8 day period when everyone else is having some rest

It aligns with the HTFU culture of the sport

It's the off-season, it's cold, there's sleet and snow on the roads (it's largely a challenge for the Northern Hemisphere) 

It is a good fit for the cyclist that is highly enthusiastic and target-driven

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For me this is an incredibly tough challenge - I’ve had the outlaws here and I do the cooking - also have a big plot and my man Matthews is on leave and I have 12 animals

I’m not a massive drinker but over this period I drink to cope with family dynamics - add to the fact that the house is full of leftovers and chocolates and I’m a weak minded pig

I do 500km a month - I’m doing this and it’s tight but it’s to stay sane, make a futile attempt to keep my belly in check and get away from the madness that this “holiday” week is at my house

Hehe... “weak minded pig”

Brilliant

Just 80km to go for me. I have been unsuccessful in this challenge twice before, mainly due to rain and family commitments. This year has been much easier after a 130km ride on the 24th and the perfect weather conditions to date. I have even had time to take my boy out on the trails today and Sunday for a 20km dad and lad pedal

Why are so many people hyped about it ? I looked and apparently there’s only one bike to win and probably hundreds of thousands participant ? what an amazing marketing operation. I’ve got 94 to go to complete the challenge and tomorrow is a 2hour recovery ride, so not a chance that I finish it, unless I’m missing something and it is worth doing a bit more than planned ?

Anyone doing it all on an IDT.....?

Now that would be some achievement... especially for those of us who battle to get through 30mins on the IDT. LOL

The thought crossed my mind, but then both mind and butt objected. :D

Anyone doing it all on an IDT.....?

I rode on the IDT yesterday.. Did a Gorby. I died. 

There was a chat going on by some guys on my loop who were doing the whole thing on their trainer over 3 days....... Yesterday was day 3. 

They were doing 140km - 7 and a bit loops of the volcano cliffs to finish having done 180km of sand and sequoias and the ocean loops the 2 days prior.

That just made me so grateful I could ride around the cape peninsula when time allows!!!

Why are so many people hyped about it ? I looked and apparently there’s only one bike to win and probably hundreds of thousands participant ? what an amazing marketing operation. I’ve got 94 to go to complete the challenge and tomorrow is a 2hour recovery ride, so not a chance that I finish it, unless I’m missing something and it is worth doing a bit more than planned ?

Its a personal accomplishment, not about winning anything.

You can brag to your mates at the braai tomorrow that you rode 500km in 8 days.

Now that would be some achievement... especially for those of us who battle to get through 30mins on the IDT. LOL

The thought crossed my mind, but then both mind and butt objected. :D

Ja it would be a bit of a mind bender and I am used to riding indoors typically doing almost 1/3 my riding indoors.

If I'm stuck at home next year like i am now i might give it a go, but it would be big step up for me doing that distance / time in such a short space of time

Its a personal accomplishment, not about winning anything.

You can brag to your mates at the braai tomorrow that you rode 500km in 8 days.

Or you could be Rapha Seattle (not the coffee) bunch who did it in one go. It looked beyond brutal. 

Or you could be Rapha Seattle (not the coffee) bunch who did it in one go. It looked beyond brutal.

Couple of years back I rode 600km in 24 hours on a Wattbike for charity. Would be hard pressed to do it again. Edited by Patchelicious

Couple of years back I rode 600km in 24 hours on a Wattbike for charity. Would be hard pressed to do it again.

So thats a maybe?