Cyclists' Safety in the light of Burry and other's recent deaths - Merged Thread.

Guest Heino

And once in a car accident, 20 years ago, I did NOT wear a safety belt.

Not wearing it saved my life! Roof got torn off, I was flung out of the car, car landed upside down on windowsills with top of door frames bent in... There is a story out there to proof or disproof whatever we want!

Not wearing a helmet wont help a cyclist ever in the way the non-seatbelt helped you.

I was with Scotty when he got totalled at the intersection during the Fountains Race a couple of yrs back & the helmet was definitely the difference.

• Replies 679
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Change should in fact start at the top since that is where the example is set - The Blue Light Brigade - every man for himself!

So many theories, so many worries.

All I would say is stop worrying about what others do and say and act, and worry about yourself. It starts with you, it always starts with you, no matter what anyone else says or does.

In other words, dont look to others to lead. You lead, you be the example, and others will follow.

Not wearing a helmet wont help a cyclist ever in the way the non-seatbelt helped you.

I was with Scotty when he got totalled at the intersection during the Fountains Race a couple of yrs back & the helmet was definitely the difference.

As I said it is not the panacea to safety whilst cycling. Just like air bags are safety belts are not the be all and end all for safety in a car. It works well, to very well, in a lot of scenarios, but it comes with its own dangers! Mileage on individual scenarios will differ

oh, and I've cracked two lids in 4 years. Luckily no pips yet!

I'm actually quite sick of hubbers bellyaching about cyclists belly aching about their safety.

To be frank, I have quite the ache in my belly at the moment. But that could just be hunger. I'm making nachos.

Are you in the sun and that metal plate is heating up again?????????

Are you in the sun and that metal plate is heating up again?????????

Nah, just have a belly full of ache.

During a Telkom race on the N4 a cyclist fell right in front of our Tandem. I T-boned the rider and we went down. I just fell mn hard. The Tandem acted like a fulcrum and vaulted EM through the air. She camedown straight on her head. She ad no roasties like I had, but had a massive blue welt on her hip nd upper leg where she slapped onto the ground. She had a sore neck and the texture of the road surface was imprinted on the foamy bits of the Giro helmet. Her helmet was broken in seven pieces. That helmet certainly made the differance.

Agreed, do if I can't afford to service the brakes on my car, is that ok?

Ummm no. Your cars unserviceability is a danger to other road users, your pip ohne helmet has no negative effect on other road users.

I don't like your logic! wink.png

If I accident ly bumped a cyclist softly and he was wearing a helmet, he should be ok. If he was not, he might have died, then I have a world of **** and maybe even jail time (which is a death sentence)

*** example

If you cannot afford to service (buy brake parts to keep your brakes in good working order) it is not only dangerous to you and the occupants of your car but also to other INNOCENT road users.

If some one cannot afford a helmet it is not dangerous to anyone other than themself.

In your example where you "accidently softly bump them" you would be a GUILTY party and not INNOCENT, albeit it in conjuction with the now injured / deceased cyclist.

There is a difference happy.png happy.png

All I would say is stop worrying about what others do and say and act, and worry about yourself. It starts with you, it always starts with you, no matter what anyone else says or does.

In other words, dont look to others to lead. You lead, you be the example, and others will follow.

YES!!!

I see a lot of riders at critical mass without helmets......no sweat!

I tried wearing one over my captain's hat at the halloween mass....didn't work, so guilty

I see a lot of riders at critical mass without helmets......no sweat!

I saw a lot drinking and cycling , shocking !!! No respect at all , I got so thirsty I had to stop and run into a pub on route to get stock !!

Yup, that was one, helmet totaled but at least i could limp away from the accident, hell i even tried to climb back on my bike but the front wheel was totaled. Even after 2 hematoma operations to my hip i consider my lucky i had my helmet on as it could would have been far worse.

All ended well as last year the RAF paid me R17000.00 settlement smile.png

I saw a lot drinking and cycling , shocking !!! No respect at all , I got so thirsty I had to stop and run into a pub on route to get stock !!

Plan ahead dirtrider....carry a 5L keg on ice with you like @swift01 did....he made his bike drift with all that weight....classic

YES!!!

Been doing this but I fail to see how this will significantly change the dominant culture of every man for himself amongst most people.

... when many cannot even be bothered to wear a @#$^* helmet!!! angry.png

Do you know how many families go out cycling with not a single helmet to be seen?

Yesterday I saw a father cycling with an 18 month-old baby in a child seat and neither wearing a helmet.

If any of these shmucks get killed in a minor accident the poor motorist needs to live with the guilt for the rest of his/her life.

If YOU don't care about your own safety, why would anyone else?!

It is time that the law gets laid down for cyclists and motorists alike. I don't care if you ride a road or mountain bike, cleats or platforms, long stem, short stem, buffalo ears, baggies or lycra - none of this matters. What matters is that you wear your f-ing helmet and teach your kids to do the same!

**Rant off**

Chick youre the girl, post of the year before we even started. Any of these campaigns should say IT STARTS WITH ME