No "Burry Gap" for JHB Cyclists

fastlegs

+1.

I did however laugh at this comment:

They should simply outlaw all leisure/sport cyclists on the busy roads at certain times. Limit it to before 6AM. These cyclists hamper the flow of traffic. Other cyclists such as workers who can only travel by bicycle should be allowed.

We should also look at drug testing for cyclists. Many of them are on performance enhancing drugs and ride on expensive fast bicycles. They can easily come up on the side of your car without you even noticing them. These drugs can also lead to aggression and arrogance on the roads which leads to more risk taking.

Bicycles should also be made to have a number plate so that drivers can report bad cycling.

my feeling is that you can have all the laws in the world on our side, it will not make us safer, the burry gap is a cool and neat idea, but if a law that has been out for some time like the helmet one, cannot be enforced, what use is the burry gap, ( and I didn’t see them will be used as an excuse)

having awareness programs is all very good and nice but, the moment the campaign stops everything goes back to normal.

I believe the real solution is not the easiest or quickest solution, but one that will work, we create a culture of respect... where everybody respects other road users, be it cyclist, motorist, a woman pushing her pram,

If we all respected each other and all obeyed the existing laws, future planned laws shouldn’t be required.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Wow, did you guys see some of the comments at the bottom of this article. eek.gif Makes some of the "disagreements" on the hub seem like a Kinder garden play.

Wow, did you guys see some of the comments at the bottom of this article. eek.gif Makes some of the "disagreements" on the hub seem like a Kinder garden play.

Gosh, they are really aggressive there, funny though!

I've been very vocal on that article at the bottom.

Just scanned the article and comments, seems like more than a freakin lot needs to be done before cyclists will be safe on the roads again. By this I dont mean the implementation of laws and stuff, as this will never work. Like Tedibear said "I believe the real solution is not the easiest or quickest solution, but one that will work, we create a culture of respect... where everybody respects other road users, be it cyclist, motorist, a woman pushing her pram,

If we all respected each other and all obeyed the existing laws, future planned laws shouldn’t be required.

Some of those comments are crazy, people are so narrow minded. I dont have the time to register but I wish I could write the following:

I really hope that your young/teenage children decide to get a bicycle to rode to school and back everyday. I would then like to know from them what their attitude would be like when their youngster gets mowed over by a huge SUV that couldnt wait another few seconds for a safe place to overtake.

Thats what I would like to say/ask them ....

Some of those comments are crazy, people are so narrow minded. I dont have the time to register but I wish I could write the following:

I really hope that your young/teenage children decide to get a bicycle to rode to school and back everyday. I would then like to know from them what their attitude would be like when their youngster gets mowed over by a huge SUV that couldnt wait another few seconds for a safe place to overtake.

Thats what I would like to say/ask them ....

That's definitely one way to go about it.

"If your child rides his bike to school, he's a cyclist. Do you want some motorist to mow him down? No? Well I don't want to be mowed down either, thank you very much".

That's definitely one way to go about it.

"If your child rides his bike to school, he's a cyclist. Do you want some motorist to mow him down? No? Well I don't want to be mowed down either, thank you very much".

I could be such an "ah ha" moment.

Another one could be a big billboard with a young child riding to school, with a huge X6 just behind about to crush the unsuspecting victim

Wow people are ignorant, I liked the chirp by Jerome saying the carbon foot print is higher if you have a bicycle and a car. Huh??? Is that what an argument has come down to. What a box

What people fail to get is that motorist have way more issues with other motorists or taxis than they do with cyclists - yet from the reponse you think that they have to battle through the argus field to pick up some bread and milk. The prize was the guy arguing that cyclist are all just spoilt brats riding expensives bikes their parents bought them ........

What people fail to get is that motorist have way more issues with other motorists or taxis than they do with cyclists - yet from the reponse you think that they have to battle through the argus field to pick up some bread and milk. The prize was the guy arguing that cyclist are all just spoilt brats riding expensives bikes their parents bought them ........

Yes but Mr Jerome says we cause accidents even though we not involved in the actual accident