Gear for Enduro 2.0

DR ◣◢

These bad boys are getting a burn tomorrow. Tried to ride with clips again last weekend and I just hated it. If I was chasing seconds i'd force myself to learn to ride with clips again but I much prefer flats.

attachicon.gifIMG-20180525-WA0006.jpeg

my clipidy clip disco shoes are busy dying a slow death and I am seriously considering going full tilt by trying flats .... just flipping scared it will be a waste of money if the shoes / flats / I do not gel.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

my clipidy clip disco shoes are busy dying a slow death and I am seriously considering going full tilt by trying flats .... just flipping scared it will be a waste of money if the shoes / flats / I do not gel.

Your choice for shoes should be easy with 5Ten's...there are flat/clipless combo models....

Your choice for shoes should be easy with 5Ten's...there are flat/clipless combo models....

always thought the clip less model would not rock on flats?

How's that x2 compared with the debonair? I must admit I found my fox kashima HV on the trance smoother than the RS Debonair on my reign.... decisions... but then there's the mrp coils mmm dreamy

I had the very basic Monarch on there. I could never get a setting that I was completely happy with on the monarch. Played with bands and air pressure but could never find a setting I was happy with especially on the jumps.

The Fox feels great to me. It's a Float X. I'm running it a bit harder than maybe I should. About 20% sag. I've also got a RS Vivid coil that I've been riding with for the last while. Rode the Fox this morning. Lots more pedal feedback than the vivid. Which I actually like. In SA I think the Fox is staying on. For me the coil is just too heavy and the lack of a lock out makes life a little more difficult than maybe it should be. But when you point the bike down. Sooooooooo good.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

always thought the clip less model would not rock on flats?

Yep. Sole is too stiff. But you need not get 5-10's. Skate shoes will do, though not as well. Mate of mine rides in vellies!!!

Chances are they won't gel.

1.You don't ride/practice enough to get into it.

2. Your habits (good and bad) are probably well engrained and getting rid of them will take ages. See point 1.

3. Sam hill is not normal. You won't be faster on flats.

4. Why bother?

5. You aren't chasing seconds. Just go with what you know and dont agonize about it.

I'd follow Tony's advice. A pair of 5.10's. they have the grippy sole so you can run flats if you want. But you can switch to clips so you don't HAVE to commit.

Had my first burn on the CB Stamps today. I've had a set of Straitlines forever and those have been the gold standard of flat pedal for me since I got them.

The CB pedals are Soooo massive. They turn your q factor into an x factor.

Super happy with them. Lots of feedback through the pedals, lots of grip, but not too much.

Chances are they won't gel.

1.You don't ride/practice enough to get into it.

2. Your habits (good and bad) are probably well engrained and getting rid of them will take ages. See point 1.

3. Sam hill is not normal. You won't be faster on flats.

4. Why bother?

5. You aren't chasing seconds. Just go with what you know and dont agonize about it.

I'd follow Tony's advice. A pair of 5.10's. they have the grippy sole so you can run flats if you want. But you can switch to clips so you don't HAVE to commit.

1&2 ... I can do a decent bunny hop on my dress work shoes with SPD's on the bike (my idea of decent is not Danny Mac levels)

3....Sam Hill ... who is she

4. Seems like fun

5. I am chasing minutes, but am both curious and cautious at the same time ... sucks.\

I also know of someone who was rocking in vellies with flats, and he felt good with them on.

1&2 ... I can do a decent bunny hop on my dress work shoes with SPD's on the bike (my idea of decent is not Danny Mac levels)

3....Sam Hill ... who is she

4. Seems like fun

5. I am chasing minutes, but am both curious and cautious at the same time ... sucks.\

I also know of someone who was rocking in vellies with flats, and he felt good with them on.

Xanderstander is my person that rides with vellies, and he does pretty well.

I had the very basic Monarch on there. I could never get a setting that I was completely happy with on the monarch. Played with bands and air pressure but could never find a setting I was happy with especially on the jumps.

The Fox feels great to me. It's a Float X. I'm running it a bit harder than maybe I should. About 20% sag. I've also got a RS Vivid coil that I've been riding with for the last while. Rode the Fox this morning. Lots more pedal feedback than the vivid. Which I actually like. In SA I think the Fox is staying on. For me the coil is just too heavy and the lack of a lock out makes life a little more difficult than maybe it should be. But when you point the bike down. Sooooooooo good.

PM if you feel like you NEED to part with the vivid????

PM if you feel like you NEED to part with the vivid

Haha. It's the old vivid. I'd rather try to source an X2 if I were you. Someone on here also wanted that vivid from me. Sourcing a spring for it might be an issue if you need a harder or softer spring. I'm 98% sure I'm going to put it back on for France along with some bigger rotors and a bigger front ring.

Haha. It's the old vivid. I'd rather try to source an X2 if I were you. Someone on here also wanted that vivid from me. Sourcing a spring for it might be an issue if you need a harder or softer spring. I'm 98% sure I'm going to put it back on for France along with some bigger rotors and a bigger front ring.

Ja, that was me. Decided against it as it's the old Vivid, with not as many settings as the newer ones.

Still a *** lekker shock, though. 

I'm about to pull the trigger on swat bibs, keen to hear what others do who don't like wearing a backpack and want to wear a trail jersey...

i only commute with the backpack(coz i have to) but otherwise i don't like, i'm not up for that fanny pack idea, so i've been looking at various bibs with pockets, spaz have the swat bibs raceface have some, not readily available and then there's morvelo which is not tjiep.

anyone hear using bibs with the pockets how are they?

water will go on the bike, the pockets will carry my tjoeps my chow and my phone and keys

I'm about to pull the trigger on swat bibs, keen to hear what others do who don't like wearing a backpack and want to wear a trail jersey...

i only commute with the backpack(coz i have to) but otherwise i don't like, i'm not up for that fanny pack idea, so i've been looking at various bibs with pockets, spaz have the swat bibs raceface have some, not readily available and then there's morvelo which is not tjiep.

water will go on the bike, the pockets will carry my tjoeps my chow and my phone and keys

All I keep on me person while riding now days is a Farbar or two and maybe a sachet of dehydrate (in my shorts pocket).

Everything else is on the bike: Oneup EDC tool in the fork steerer, Water bottle, bombs and adapter (little bracket under the bottle cage), tyre levers wrapped in a tube and Velcro'd to the frame. 

So much nicer having the wind blow through the hair on my back...  

Bought two pairs in 2015 and they're still going strong. No stretch in the fabric, chamois still does the job, can't fault them. 

The Swat bib works a treat, Spez also have a Swat vest which is cheaper and works just as well if you are not wearing a bib. What I really like about them is that the contents don't bounce around like a traditional cycling jersey.

I use Spez tool attached to my bottle cage, Spez chain tool under the top cap with quick link. Then Mountain bandit with tube attached to my seat - also hold 1 CO2 cannister and tyre lever.

Also use a SB tool bag for a tubeless repair, 1 more CO2 cannister, card, cash, and kar key (which all goes in the Swat bib/vest. In the other pocket a snack, and the third pocket my phone.

Works awesome for shorter rides where I only need one water bottle. Nothing restricing on my back, nothing bouncing around, and best of all I don't have to wear a cycling jersey with pockets.

Edit: the only reason I use the Spez multi tool, chain tool, and mountain bandit is because I had a Stumpy that came with it. If I had to buy new I'd probably go for that OneUp EDC tool, and I'd stick with a Spez saddle and mountain badait because Spez saddle are moerse comfy for me.

Edited by Grease_Monkey