LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

.....'surfing the bonk' .....

What a classic expression!! pretty much sums it up perfectly.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was trying to find Friel's recommendation on race fueling but couldn't find it - did find this tho :)

I might also add that one shouldn't try to perfect when it comes to nutrition. Would you spend the rest of your life never again eating a brownie (or cookie or apple pie, etc)? I suspect not. The only question is, when will you eat it?

Was trying to find Friel's recommendation on race fueling but couldn't find it - did find this tho :)

I might also add that one shouldn't try to perfect when it comes to nutrition. Would you spend the rest of your life never again eating a brownie (or cookie or apple pie, etc)? I suspect not. The only question is, when will you eat it?

Nothing wrong at all with an occasional cheat day :). I find best cheat days are a Saturday, say after a hard ride in the morning and you're at a braai for the rugby, or a slice of cake at a coffee shop with the missus, etc. To keep my carb monster happily slumbering, I prefer to cheat during the day.

But then that evening meal - plus maybe the next day too - will likely be carb-free.

Edit: for the weak willed (like me), keep cheat days far enough apart.

Edit 2: Comes with an LCHF age restriction of 4 - 6 months (i.e. feel safe to do so after you've been pretty dedicated for the first 4 to 6 months of your new LCHF life).

Edited by tombeej

OK, so I'm still doing the LCHF thing, but need help. I honestly just dont want to do any form of training anymore - not running, not cycling, not gym - NOTHING. I simply dont feel like it... HELP :eek: I'm not hungry and i dont have a lack of energy... very worrying!

OK, so I'm still doing the LCHF thing, but need help. I honestly just dont want to do any form of training anymore - not running, not cycling, not gym - NOTHING. I simply dont feel like it... HELP :eek: I'm not hungry and i dont have a lack of energy... very worrying!

What do you eat TLW?

How long have you been LCHF?

Sure htone will help out here.

How long are you on LCHF?

I felt exactly the same for about 6 weeks. The motivation was very low. I wasn’t tired (like sleepy) but I just did not feel like training. Now 2 months down the line I am getting back into it.

Edited by Grondpad

Hi Guys

Did a lipogram today to check cholestrol levels. I have been on LCHF for about +- 2 months. A little concerned with the results :

Total cholestrol 7.1 up from 5.1 a year ago

HDL 1.6 up from 1.3 a year ago

LDL 4.8 up form 3.3 a year ago

I dont have HDL and LDL from just before starting the diet but when i did my Discovery test a few months ago total was 5.76, so it has gone from 5.76 to 7.1 over the period of 2 months on LCHF.

Any advise maybe cutting back on saturated fats like cheese etc.

Cheers

This is perfectly normal for about 2 - 3 weeks for a lot of people who move to a LCHF lifestyle, but you should feel a sudden "zing" one morning when you start waking up before your alarm clock, with an intense desire to train or just do stuff (that's how it was for me).

If this has been going on for some time you need to be honest with yourself and assess whether you are really in the LCHF "zone" (dietary ketosis) or whether you have made a very gradual move to LCHF which probably means your body is in that grey area between being a carb burner and beginning to use ketones as fuel (when they are available). This is most often the reason for this feeling - you are effectively experiencing a very long and drawn out carb flu as your body is slowly detoxing. If this is the case, go strict LCHF for a week or two and force your body into ketosis (or as close as you can get to it), this will force some of the adaptation to happen sooner and therefore that lack of energy or zest should soon pass.

Over to you ?

Hi Guys

Did a lipogram today to check cholestrol levels. I have been on LCHF for about +- 2 months. A little concerned with the results :

Total cholestrol 7.1 up from 5.1 a year ago

HDL 1.6 up from 1.3 a year ago

LDL 4.8 up form 3.3 a year ago

I dont have HDL and LDL from just before starting the diet but when i did my Discovery test a few months ago total was 5.76, so it has gone from 5.76 to 7.1 over the period of 2 months on LCHF.

Any advise maybe cutting back on saturated fats like cheese etc.

Cheers

Nothing wrong with those numbers and that HDL is brilliant !

If you don't believe me, email Prof Noakes and he will confirm - when on LCHF you want those numbers around where you are. Study after study has shown that people with low cholesterol die before people with high cholesterol. So there.

What do your Triglycerides look like djembe ?

Yep, I had this as well. Lasted two or three weeks as far as I remember. Was a very bleak period - couldn't ride races at anything less than a crawl, and didn't even feel like riding anyway...

It does get better..!! :)

Edit: The sleeping thing is real - I have three year old twins and when they are sick we end up with having to get up twice as much as for one kid - I find that even when I have quite (and by quite I mean VERY) disturbed sleep I still wake up able to cope, whereas before I'd be shattered.

Edited by davetapson

Just had my first sip of cold drink in two months... Jig! Goeie plonker. What disgusting poo do the put in there. The sweetness is the biggest pain for me. JIG!

Does eating extremely low-carb result in an elevated resting heart rate?

Been hovering in high 80s past two days, easy to get into 120s just getting off my ass and walking about.

Had a quick session on trainer this morning: HR didn't go over 180.

Does eating extremely low-carb result in an elevated resting heart rate?

Been hovering in high 80s past two days, easy to get into 120s just getting off my ass and walking about.

Had a quick session on trainer this morning: HR didn't go over 180.

Mine was 45 the last time I checked. At 60 now. moving round a bit. And got back to the office 5 minutes ago.