LCHF - Low Carb High Fat Diet Ver 2

Yesterday I made a thin low-carb pizza base with eggs, grated cheese, cream and spices. It came out okay, tasted quite good because of the toppings (mushrooms, bacon, loads of cheese, jalapenos, and cheated with pineapple too).

The base was of course very soft - had to eat it with a knife and fork. At least it helped with my pizza craving, in a flourless way :clap:

Edited by P.A.K.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who loves mash and misses it a bit, well here's a lekker alternative we tried last night: cauliflower mash.

Steam a whole cauliflower head until soft. Then use a food processor to turn it into a fine pulp. Add your preference of butter, cream and salt. Done :).

Caution: the more cream you add, the runnier it will be.

In fact it tastes better than traditional mash IMHO.

Anyone who loves mash and misses it a bit, well here's a lekker alternative we tried last night: cauliflower mash.

Steam a whole cauliflower head until soft. Then use a food processor to turn it into a fine pulp. Add your preference of butter, cream and salt. Done :).

Yeh - I use this to make Shepherds / Cottage Pie. Works like a charm. Lots of salt and butter... and cream :)

Yesterday I made a thin low-carb pizza base with eggs, grated cheese, cream and spices. It came out okay, tasted quite good because of the toppings (mushrooms, bacon, loads of cheese, jalapenos, and cheated with pineapple too).

The base was of course very soft - had to eat it with a knife and fork. At least it helped with my pizza craving, in a flourless way :clap:

We did something similar but made a base with cauliflower. Grated or put in a blender, and then cook that first. 15 min in oven, and then add your toppings and then another 10 min om the oven.

Where to got for fresh and affordable nuts in Gauteng (macadamia, almond, walnut)?

Almond flour? Macadamia butter?

There was talk of sourcing them directly from Tzaneen. I don't mind waiting for when I buy big bags, but also looking for something to keep me over.

Where to got for fresh and affordable nuts in Gauteng (macadamia, almond, walnut)?

Almond flour? Macadamia butter?

There was talk of sourcing them directly from Tzaneen. I don't mind waiting for when I buy big bags, but also looking for something to keep me over.

I've found that the Food Lovers Market to be the best deal, but I'm sure that I can do better somewhere else.. They're still expensive in my view.

I've found that the Food Lovers Market to be the best deal, but I'm sure that I can do better somewhere else.. They're still expensive in my view.

My last Macadamia purchase from them was rancid though.

Went to Evergreens by the Tshwane Food Market the other day. Limited range, 500gr biggest size, prices sucked.

Paid R85 for 500gr almonds, R22 per packet for 100gr walnuts.

And the worst was that the almonds were brown where they were damaged (old) and tasted rancid. The walnuts were rancid and flavourless. Tasted like soap with dirt.

Quick question regarding carb intake. I'm sitting on 36g so far for the day where 10g from Almonds that I ate on this mornings 3h20 ride and 9g that I ate directly afterwards in the form of avo and Greek yoghurt.

Should I ease off on carbs for the rest of the day? (I still need to read up on training and LCHF...)

I know the stuff. Good. I discovered if you put pesto in it becomes truly yummy.

Quick question regarding carb intake. I'm sitting on 36g so far for the day where 10g from Almonds that I ate on this mornings 3h20 ride and 9g that I ate directly afterwards in the form of avo and Greek yoghurt.

Should I ease off on carbs for the rest of the day? (I still need to read up on training and LCHF...)

I think the common consensus is that you start strict, then after a few months you start to experiment by adding back 1 or 2 little items. In other words, feel free to start low, like under 40g carbs a day average. Then after a few months you can start adding back a few top quality carbs to your diet and see what happens. Whatever adds value to your life, keep. Whatever detracts/pulls you back, cut it from your life.

My happy medium is around 80 - 100g carbs per day, and only real/whole/natural/low Gi carbs.

The n=1 experiment is a very personal thing. As you go, you'll start to be so dialled in to how your body reacts to certain foods that you can predict with accuracy how you're going to feel if you eat that tempting piece of cake, or if you have potato for dinner. It's amazing how quickly the body reacts to these things. Nowdays, if I have a slice of cake I feel terrible afterwards (I used to love cake!).

The other day I had been on the road the whole day to customer sites and for some reason I stopped at a Steers on the last stretch to home where I had an old favourite: steers chips. I hadn't had a steers chips in 8 months. Well, instant reaction - my body tried to reject it like it was poison. Felt horrible, and just for that I went 100% carb free the next day to try and get my systems back online.

Edited by tombeej

One thing to add what I said: my happy medium is 80 - 100g carbs on average per day over time. So sometimes more, sometimes less (not trying to stick to a particular number religiously).

I think the common consensus is that you start strict, then after a few months you start to experiment by adding back 1 or 2 little items. In other words, feel free to start low, like under 40g carbs a day average. Then after a few months you can start adding back a few top quality carbs to your diet and see what happens. Whatever adds value to your life, keep. Whatever detracts/pulls you back, cut it from your life.

My happy medium is around 80 - 100g carbs per day, and only real/whole/natural/low Gi carbs.

I've averaged around 30g a day so far. It's been surprisingly easy to do so. :thumbup:

I'm just curious about carb intake around exercise since you metabolise it differently... I take it that it still weighs the same on your daily intake as a normal carb that is not eaten around exercise. ie those 10g of carbs from Almonds eaten while riding would be the same as eating those 10g of carbs around breakfast.

So I think my question is, does eating carbs inside and outside of exercising change the fact that you are still eating carbs?