Adverse analytical finding in recent mountain bike stage race

Tumbleweed

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't been a personal trainer for many years. I'm a real estate agent. If a person wanted to take any PED's that's really up to them. If they wanted to take it for competitive cycling where it's banned, i'd advise againsed it. If theyre one of my bodybuilding mates who's gonna take it regardless of my opinion, i'd possibly ask what he intends taking and advise him on safer alternatives in terms of dosage and precautionary measures so he doesn't cause himself any damage.

Good answer. Thanks.

Apologies, must've misread the bit about being a personal trainer and assumed you were still doing it.

Edited by Tumbleweed

Remember that he admitted to taking the stuff while body building, which one would expect, but he didn't go into a cycle race deliberately doping like a pro would do, last time he took the stuff was months before EPIC.

As Dale pointed out, rules are rules. He should have had himself tested beforehand if he knew he had been taking something else.

Are you spearheading a hub investigation...?

Tell you what, I'll keep you 100% in the loop with the entire process i'll be going through with the UCI, CSA and SAIDS as it unfolds. They'll be conducting the investigation and deciding on the outcome.

No not at all, just giving them an excuse to "But in..."

I would like to hear the opinion from someone who is not directly implicated and has the ability to provide a professional comment on how long this stuff can hang around.

To be 100% honest I'm skeptical that it would remain in the body for almost 7 months.

Why would it matter he's not disputing the finding anyway? He's moved on I guess but many won't .....

I hear what you say and understand why.

Look at it from my side, to me its just another positive test of some guy out there, and thanks to the athletes own online admission / statement (which indirectly is an invitation for further interrogation etc...) has opened up a few interesting questions.

Remember what I said earlier, traditionally dopers are liars.

I think it is irrelevant whether the stuff is in your system or not. The fact of the matter is that he has muscles like a horse, which he self admitted was partially attributed to taking steroids.

He might have been off the juice for some time, but the mere fact that you still have muscles like a horse (partially attributable to steroids) should make you think twice before your enter a competitive race.

Seriously Octavian do you flip a coin to see which way you going to go when an argument starts on the hub. And do you read some of the stuff you type?

Remember that he admitted to taking the stuff while body building, which one would expect, but he didn't go into a cycle race deliberately doping like a pro would do, last time he took the stuff was months before EPIC.

Yes but the anti doping brigade don't know the if's, buts or why's, they just caught someone...something they are supposed to do.

I intend to co-operate fully with the authorities and take the punishment like a man.. In a TapOut shirt...

Look, we can forgive almost anything, but did you have to stoop this low? Nee sies man. Sell your bicycle! :D

Chances are that many riders at the start line possibly could be positive, but that's not the problem, the problem is the ring that's never busted, and those who's busted, like David, will never name suppliers and doctors.

No .... THIS is the problem!

...where big money is involved...

. Some famous riders are paid a lot just to be present at events, functions and parties. etc.

Seriously Octavian do you flip a coin to see which way you going to go when an argument starts on the hub. And do you read some of the stuff you type?

+1

I'd be very interested to know how many of us here (excluding those racing) have ever been tested at an event they were participating in as a fun ride....

Anyone?

I'm not holdin my breath but maybe I'll be surprised....

I got tested and a funride, Rooiwal, in Pta once. Must have been a total of 50 riders doing the ride?

Was quite funny......

So Spidy do you perhaps have 'big pecs' or tattoos, come on out with it ....... :whistling: ;)

haha thats what I was going to ask.

Well so far you are the only one. Anyone else? Answers on a post card here: https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/125969-have-you-ever-been-tested-for-peds-at-a-cycling-event/

I am just curious here but did your Epic partner know about this?

If not how does he feel about it?

I've known him for many years, some of which was when i was a competitive bodybuilder. He's always known me to be into my gym and training, but the topic of me taking anything never really came up. He never asked, so i never told him.

He didn't know anything about me having taken anything. I didn't mention my fears of having anything in my system after i got tested, to him, or anyone else. He and everyone else found out yesterday.

So what's the moral of the story? Do the back-of-packers now also need to get TUE's, even if they're nowhere near to being competitive?

I am a fat funrider, if I do races I start at the back and stop at all the waterpoints. I have never bothered to establish whether anything in my chronic medication is banned, or anything in any other medication I may take from time to time. Does that make me an evil doper?

No not at all, just giving them an excuse to "But in..."

I would like to hear the opinion from someone who is not directly implicated and has the ability to provide a professional comment on how long this stuff can hang around.

To be 100% honest I'm skeptical that it would remain in the body for almost 7 months.

I hear what you say and understand why.

Look at it from my side, to me its just another positive test of some guy out there, and thanks to the athletes own online admission / statement (which indirectly is an invitation for further interrogation etc...) has opened up a few interesting questions.

Remember what I said earlier, traditionally dopers are liars.

I myself am confused as to how it was still in my system. As i said, i expected that if it did come back positive, it would be for the Testosterone Propionate i took around october, which was oil based and therefore the testosterone molecule is attached to an esther bond which would have stayed in my system longer.

Most of the steroids available are not from registered pharmaciutical companies like Pfizer or Lilly, they are produced on the black market by 'underground' labs. You assume responsibility for taking a chance on their safety and legitimacy.

I suspect that the Test Prop i thought i was taking, could in fact have had the presence of Stanolozol in it.

I can try get you a bottle if you'd like to conduct an analysis at the laboratory.

Just managed to get thru this thread now

Barry that takes big balls to come here and open up on the hub. Some might have owned up and logged off and never returned, you however have stayed and answered questions which seems to have very honest answers. Well done

Alot of people will judge you for what you have done but then as you say will get pissed at the pub tonight then drive home.

I love the way the same people always start their own investigation and come up with all sorts of k@k conclusions.

Octavian do you want to buy my Mountain bike because I played rugby up until last year so it will be very stupid of me to enter a race looking like a rugby player/gym bunny or whatever you will call it. It will just be bad for cycling

Well done Barry and good luck sorting all this crap out

Big up for being honest. Yip we all made mistakes in life, at least your not trying to cover it up.

Question for all the ave joe riders/hubbers like me out there. Do you know if you have a banned substance in your system? Do you really know? I had flu 2 weeks ago, self medicated for a week, then went to the doc and got the usual botics and nasal spray. Who knows whats in them but dammit i am virtually better. The point being i did not go read the banned list. Be honest more than half the ave cyclist does not know what is banned and in the "Flu High Season" which is now i bet half of us would fail. Did we do wrong, legally yes but lets face it we not winning and would not even know if anything in the medicine even gave us extra vooma. Point being we can't really comment to the full without reading the banned list, their reasons, and how it can get into your system. I would like to think 80% of us just don't know and if we were taking banned stuff it was honest once off get better muti.

Note to self this weekend if i am suddenly in the top 10 at the race best i stop for a beer along the way :-)