Your Enduro ride

Robodog

I fitted the rear and then tried to rotate it to align the rim/tyre logos - fahgettaboutit!

I'm thinking I'll just leave it on until the rim is written off :)

I got a sidewall cut on my WTB tyre mounted on a Spank rim, after 15mins of trying to remove the tyre and 3 tyre levers later, I was seriously considering just throwing the rim away with the tyre on it!

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have to agree with this, at least ride the darn thing! 

you know what they say, "once you ride a Banshee, you don't go back to other bikes

" .... so maybe he was scared

Haha, opinions would have been very different if Giant was a smaller niche manufacturer with the exact same bikes at the exact same quality but at 20% higher retail prices. Then the Trance, as is, in that spec and carbon, would be more desirable, yes?

I'm more than happy on the Trance, it compliments my riding style and is super fun to ride.

Sure, if I didn't have it, I would be very happy with the Banshee, but no point in putting miles on a bike that I am not going to keep.

its suppose to rhyme...you know, like...

Once you go spitty you'll get more titty?

One you go tranny you won't see fanny?

Once you go trance there'll be money for france?

:clap: I am happy with option 1 :P

Probably a bit crazy, but busy redoing a 2008 Mongoose ECD I got my hands on recently to a bit more enduro spec.

Fitted a single crown 180mm Marzocchi 66 RCV, redusing the front end travel by 30mm (210mm tripple clamp originally). Also going to fit a 222mm eye to eye rear shock vs the original 240mm.

Did some measurement and it all looks like its going to work. Still need to source a few parts, and then do a bit of a spray job.

Going to be a heavy ass build, but quite keen to get her done and see how she handles

post-50361-0-52989700-1490623331_thumb.jpg

Also going to fit a 222mm eye to eye rear shock vs the original 240mm.

That's probably a very bad idea. Rather try and source a Shova or something like that and hang that ECD on the wall. You're going to spend a bunch of time (& some money) on a bike that's good at nothing and really bad at most things.

You'll probably also crack the frame with the wrong stroke length shock.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Probably a bit crazy, but busy redoing a 2008 Mongoose ECD I got my hands on recently to a bit more enduro spec.

Fitted a single crown 180mm Marzocchi 66 RCV, redusing the front end travel by 30mm (210mm tripple clamp originally). Also going to fit a 222mm eye to eye rear shock vs the original 240mm.

Did some measurement and it all looks like its going to work. Still need to source a few parts, and then do a bit of a spray job.

Going to be a heavy ass build, but quite keen to get her done and see how she handles

attachicon.gif20170325_110728.jpg

What fork was it? Bearing in mind a 180mm 66 has the same a2c as a 200mm boxxer. 

That's probably a very bad idea.

How so? I understand I will change the head angle dramatically, as well as reducing my rear travel a bit as well. 

Did a rough measurement and my head angle with the 18mm shorter shock is about 66 degrees.

What fork was it? Bearing in mind a 180mm 66 has the same a2c as a 200mm boxxer. 

Previous owner rocked a tripple clamp bomber, but according to the interweb, the 2007 model came out with a rs boxxer team, cant find anything on the 2008 model

Edited by Otero

How so?

I had a Foes DHS mono. It had a Fox shock instead of the original Curnut The Fox had an extension to the shock to make the shock length the same as the Curnut. The problem was the stroke length was too short.

The result. Multiple cracked frame.

That frame is designed around a 240mm shock with a 70mm Stroke. Anything less is going to be overwhelmed and probably crack the frame.

I had a Foes DHS mono. It had a Fox shock instead of the original Curnut The Fox had an extension to the shock to make the shock length the same as the Curnut. The problem was the stroke length was too short.

The result. Multiple cracked frame.

That frame is designed around a 240mm shock with a 70mm Stroke. Anything less is going to be overwhelmed and probably crack the frame.

I can see that being a problem. The freedrive suspension design is just a bit more forgiving with shock lengths.

Played around with shock lengths on my teocali with the same suspension design, and am currently running a 10mm longer (190x50 vs 200x57 ) shock than what was originally factory fitted, with a wee bit more sag though, and have not experienced any issues so far, hence my crazy idea of a shorter shock.

Can always buy a longer shock later if the handling is too odd with the setup I am busy with now. CRC has a special on 241mm shocks at the moment, my wallet unfortunately does not sync up with the special.

edit:

Also have a spare 2007 ecd frame if I botch this one up

Edited by Otero

• 2 weeks later...