DQ - Earphones

flymango

So friends of mine recently completed a stage race. Unbeknown to them, when they looked up their results, they were DQ'ed on day 3. Upon following up, it transpires that a UCI official spotted one of them with earphones "hanging around their neck" and they were duly DQ'ed.

Quite harsh I'd say, although I detest it when riders have earphones in during an event. It just takes away one of your senses, and makes it potentially dangerous to the rider concerned and those around him/her. Especially on single tracks in MTB events.

What say you Hubbers? Fair or not to DQ? Should earphones be allowed or not?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

rulez r rulez.

A warning of DQ would have been better though (Maybe it wasn't heard because of the earphones?).

A lot has been said at races re earpieces, so if the the commissionaires are gatvol of talking and no action by the participants, then so be it

rulez r rulez.

A warning of DQ would have been better though (Maybe it wasn't heard because of the earphones?).

A lot has been said at races re earpieces, so if the the commissionaires are gatvol of talking and no action by the participants, then so be it

Yeah, have to agree. They are really great people and don't deserve the DQ, but unfortunately won't get the sympathy vote.

Guest Smimby

I don't understand why it is suppose to be less safe? I ride with music everyday in traffic but can always still hear the traffic.

It is not like you can hear them shout anything to you when you are in a race...PPA also banned them for "safety" reasons but I have never been able to hear what the marchals are saying anyway....

And then there are the professional people who need to be contacted....maybe the earphones are there just so they can hear their phone ring?

I know rules are rules, but I don't understand the rule?

In my opinion this is a *** rule. There are people entering races who are FAR more dangerous not only to themselves but to their fellow riders. Why can't one ride with earphones? Cause you can't hear? Well what if the volume is low enough?

I am almost certain that if there was statistics, that the main cause of crashes are not earphones, I reckon earphones wouldn't even be on that list.

I don't understand why it is suppose to be less safe? I ride with music everyday in traffic but can always still hear the traffic.

It is not like you can hear them shout anything to you when you are in a race...PPA also banned them for "safety" reasons but I have never been able to hear what the marchals are saying anyway....

And then there are the professional people who need to be contacted....maybe the earphones are there just so they can hear their phone ring?

I know rules are rules, but I don't understand the rule?

It is not safe for you nor the riders around you. If a rider overtakes another and shouts "passing right" and the oke with the earphones can't hear him and swerves right for some reason - BOOOM CRASH!

If you want to listen to music buy a Tacx trainer from CWC and stay at home out of harms way of others!

Reasons for not hearing well:

Wind / air resistance

Heart beating in your throat

Fatigue

Etc.

Being able to communicate clearly is crucial to cycling safety.

The rules are quite clear on that and its enforced consistently as far as I have seen - on what grounds would they feel they were unfairly treated?

@Smimby - it really is not uncommon for a cyclist wearing earphones being involved in accidents worldwide, besides not hearing whats going on around you, music can also be distracting - its just common sense really

Since I was almost taken out by a lady with earphones and music so load that I could hear it while shouting "hold your line dammit", at the argus, I am all for a strict enforcement.

What I find funny though is that there is the same discussion in running, where I don't quite see the risk, at something like 6 kph... :-)

The problem is with some of those in-ear type buds. It blocks out most external sounds even without music

It is not safe for you nor the riders around you. If a rider overtakes another and shouts "passing right" and the oke with the earphones can't hear him and swerves right for some reason - BOOOM CRASH!

I've seen a good wipeout as a result of this :thumbdown: . It then turned into an amusing and entertaining fisticuffs :clap:

as long as the other rules like not being allowed in cut-off cycling jerseys etc. are also enforced. I did think that a warning first up and perhaps a 2hr penalty would have been more fair, but if the rules state no in-ear devices, then that's the rule. I understand the need to enforce this on pro level. Say Bulls 1 gets a technical and is able to communicate this to the team manager and then orders Bulls2 to wait for them, there is an advantage. I do think that the race briefings at these events needs to communicate these to all as most do not see or understand the harm. I'm not saying that everything needs to be explained in detail, simply state that if in ear devices are not allowed (unless its a pre ok'd hearing aid) and will lead to a DQ. I know we all should study the rules in finite detail before an event, but how many of us does that?

Guest Smimby

But everyone here assumed that it is music that they were listening to, maybe it is just their phone so they can hear it ring ?

And it was around the neck not in their ears?

There are dictors and people on call that might get a call during a race and they want to be able to answer quickly ?

Rules are rules but some rules....