[Event] NISSAN TRAILSEEKER #2 Cullinan

Tim_Fair

Now here is something to REALLY complain about. My Hilux Toyota got stolen during the race this morning. Needles to say, I cannot remember too much about the race itself. After 40km cycling one get very easily in a panicking mode when you realize your bakkie, with phone, wallet and everything else is flippen gone!! Sad to say, but this make me think twice about racing again - or rather cycling hehe.

Sounds like a damn syndicate stealing cars and bikes at races now.. Sondela, Cullinan, where next?

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a damn syndicate stealing cars and bikes at races now.. Sondela, Cullinan, where next?

Wherever the next race is probably!

not cool - death threats ??? Gees maybe its wrong but your response is a bit extreme Idd say

No death threats. But I fixed it to make it more PG

Did you see how terrified the kids were with 1000 agro 40 and 70km riders screaming past them?

No, but I came accross a laatie and his dad about 3 km's from the finish, EVERYone that passed them cheered the little oke on.

RAVE-Tim,nice route, proper MTB riding.

RANT- having 20&40km riders joining the route after 40 odd kms, REALLY, what were you guys thinking.One doesnt expect 10-15 minutes of bottlenecks and standing around when you start in A batch.

This is NOT what I pay for and this is NOT what I work my ass off for to maintain the A seeding. I go there to race not sit behind fun riders!

Its not fair to us and its not fair to the fun riders either.

You guys have been planning routes for a long time now, we as a cycling community expect better from you.

Nothing more demoralising then having worked hard for 40 kms to have all your hard work undone by hundreds of riders walking at the sight of the slightest obstacle, river (sludge) crossings, climbs, jeep track, it was mayhem.

Thank you for adding to my stress levels this morning.

Rant off.

The words taken straight from my mouth, I couldnt have said it better... :thumbup:

Just before that toilet water sludge crossing with all the 20/40km riders, I have this oke in front of me that wouldnt shut up, I think he thought he was a great motivational speaker. I told him less yapping and more pedalling will make yourself move faster, he didnt like it much. He then made way so I could pass after I politely asked him a few times.

Great route but I wont be back though, the bottlenecks were no fun after the merge of all the riders

It was my 1st mtb race I did the 20km and it was horrible for me cuz i walked about 10km in the bushes to avoid the 40s and 70s Id rather tackle the thorn trees then get nailed by those guys. But was really bad that they made us join i felt like I was going to get hit the whole time. Anyway dont think id do it again unless the route never met then it would have been ok I think. Wasnt really fair on the 70s, 40s or the 20km riders. My partner started in J group for 70 and seemed to enjoy it I dont think he experianced how the distances joined cuz all 20s were prob already gone.

Bottom line is you had too many riders, of too many skill and speed levels, trying to share too much of the same track.

The organizers are to blame here - simple. Put hundreds of people with different goals and ambitions in one tight place at the same time, and the Poo is going to hit the fan, and by the sounds of it, it did.

As for the route, I liked the riding, it was a proper MTB route. Maybe parts of it a bit rough for novices but that's what the shorter routes should accommodate.

I'll say it again, joining all 3 routes at that stage of the race.... WHAT were u guys thinking Tim!?!?

1. Seeding should be done properly.

2. We all enjoy technical riding, but I think in order to be allowed to enter the 40km you must have done a 20km in the same series under a certain time - this would be an indication of your speed and technical ability. And then before you are allowed to enter the 70km, you must have completed a 40km in a certain time.

3. Routes should not join.

Thought the 40km route was awesome, will be working towards walking less next year - it was tough but serves as motivation to train harder.

Same old same old it seems. Last few years there's been hardly any of the races that hasn't been plagued by the same problems mentioned on this thread. I'd rather spend my money on riding at Groenkloof with the family.

Instead of just complaining I would also like to add a bit of constructive criticism to the race organisers.

I think they should educate the people that are new to the sport with a quick riders briefing at the start line, especially when all the distances are merged for such a long distance. For the majority, the people on the shorter distances were keeping left so we could pass however on the climbs/descents where this becomes even more important this was not happening, a quick bit of education at the start line would go a long way to try resolve this.

It would have also been nice to have been told on the start line that it would be 75km and not 70.4 as mentioned? At 68km when I saw the water point I check that I have 2 sips left and thought that was enough for 2 Km's....(I guess the penny should have dropped at that point)...... About 5km's later I was having serious sense of humour failure as I couldn't really see/hear the finish and I was starting to dehydrate! If I had know about the extra Km's I would have refilled a bottle and enjoyed the race a bit more?

I understand situations re farms etc change,but it couldn't have happened while we were riding so a quick heads up to the distance change would have been appreciated.

Other than this I enjoy the Trailseeker events and think they are pretty well organised considering the numbers!

See you at #3 Van Gaalens.......

No, but I came accross a laatie and his dad about 3 km's from the finish, EVERYone that passed them cheered the little oke on.

Musta been me and Etienne doin the 20km.

From our perspective it was HECTIC with the 40s and 70s together. Very unfair on a 8 year old to have to be SOOOOO careful to keep left and not swerve - I understand you chaps are all racing for personal bests but jeepers,the poor kids are doin this for FUN!!!!

THANKS TO ALL THE CHAPS CHEERING HIM ON, he got 3rd Nipper boys!

I would not mind the 20 starting AFTER the 40, this will solve half the problem until the routes join again...

Instead of just complaining I would also like to add a bit of constructive criticism to the race organisers.

See you at #3 Van Gaalens.......

Yes, it they listen...

From my side, please keep the route away from churned up eroded 4x4 trails. And shooting ranges. Otherwise, no complaints, enjoyed the ride.

If you don't like or are not into technical descents, keep away from the Van Gaalens marathon in this series, that is amongst the most rad I have experienced, but awesome route it must be said.

ps I got 79 km on my GPS for the marathon

To the guy who helped shorten my chain to a single speed, thanks very much.

To the organisers who left 20 foot of electric fence on the track just after the lion cage climb thanks for helping destroy my derailer.... let me say that if i hadnt taken it to the side after if was caught up in it, then more riders would have been in my situation. good thing i was up with the front guys!!!

I havent done this race for a few years, and the route has been changed considerably since then. Cant say I enjoyed having to wait at the water crossings and the cliff sections. We rode hard to get there in a break, and that was all nulified by stopping. Same applies for when the race met up with the shorter distances. Have to agree with rattlesnake that it defeats the object of working hard in a race to have it all undone by waiting....

what I do nt undestand is the same complaints after most races with regards to bottleneks and races merging - orginisers how difficult can it be to split the races cmon ?

Yes, it they listen...

From my side, please keep the route away from churned up eroded 4x4 trails. And shooting ranges. Otherwise, no complaints, enjoyed the ride.

If you don't like or are not into technical descents, keep away from the Van Gaalens marathon in this series, that is amongst the most rad I have experienced, but awesome route it must be said.

ps I got 79 km on my GPS for the marathon

Is the VG trailseeker route all rideable, or are there portages and queues?

I've heard it's tough.