Chain Lube?

cruiser

So I am wondering who uses what chain lube for either Road or MTB, also which is the easiest to clean and how do you clean the chain?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I use clean ride chain wax. I must say it kinda wears of quickly and you'll need to lube about once a week. Will try something different next time but it does keep the chain nice and clean, doesn't pick up as much dirt.

Clean the chain with parraffin. If your chain has a quick link, then take the chain off the bike and clean thoroughly.

This is how a quick link looks

post-43973-0-20559300-1370413815_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wimmas

I just use all purpose mineral oil for sewing machines for my road bike, apply and wipe of the extra. My chain keeps on going ;)

Squirt and White Lightening Clean Ride are the easiest to clean, both wax based so you don't have to clean the chain before re-application, and both have mild "self-cleaning" properties due to the wax sloughing off. Squirt seems to last a bit longer than the White Lightening one but neither will last much longer than a 50km mountain biking ride.

If you want easy to clean then youre going to have to sacrifice longevity. No idea about road.

@OP you just started a religious debate. The Church of Lube is very hotly debated on the Hub.

So let me preach my belief, wet lube all the way. I find not to use too much and to give everything a good scrub down after every few rides. Also wipe the outside of your chain, your not suppose to lube it anyway.

Use to use White Lightening but it did not last for a decent MTB ride.

I found Rock N Roll Extreme to be a great lube for mtb, much better than Squirt. Rock N Roll Gold will be great for road. But at R120 for a small bottle it is expensive. So I went to (as per end of other lube thread) Bearing-Man and got a big 500ml bottle of Go chain wax for R100. It is quality wax lube and will last me more than a year.

Boeshield T9 - thin paraffin based, doesn't muck up, very happy with it. And it doesn't sound dodgy. "What lube do you use?" "Squirt... squirt... squirt"

Squirt all the way. :thumbup:

Have tried the more expensive "better" lubes that claims it lasts so and so many kilometers.... it does not. :thumbdown:

Don't buy purple extreme, load of crap!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Rock N Roll on my road bike which literally does rock and then I've been using the Mucoff wet on my MTB, but hate how it drys up and makes a mess of the chain, whats up with that?

Boeshield T9 - thin paraffin based, doesn't muck up, very happy with it. And it doesn't sound dodgy. "What lube do you use?" "Squirt... squirt... squirt"

Agreed, thanks for the lube job on Saturday ;)

Muc-off wet lube, the little black and blue bottle. Does get dirty faster than wax, but it lasts for two to three short rides and generally doesn't leave a lot of residue on RD jockey wheels etc.

Edited by Peregrinate

Thanks for the feedback so far, how do you rate Finish Line dry lube for MTB. And "Q20"? (Grill Gaurd on) :ph34r:

Agreed, thanks for the lube job on Saturday ;)

my pleasure. thanks for letting me use your tool. :whistling: