USN 50 km race.. My 1st 50 km MTB race

Active Monkey

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was pretty hectic, and totally irresponsible from the zip line guys WTF were they (not) thinking.?

To the guy who took the hit, big ups to carry on with the race & hope you ok?

It is a friend of mine that took his Girlfriend for her 1st MTB race, thus doing the 10k. He did not even see it coming! 5 seconds in and the next moment he was on deck and bike somewhere. This is terrible if you think what could have been. Both him and the zipper could have ended with broken necks! Totally irresponsible.

He ended up with 2 broken ribs. He will be taking it further with Acrobranch. Although he does not directly blame the race organizers, they do need to take responsibility and ensure that these type of items do not happen.

Hey guys it was my 1st 50km event I really enj it but I must say the were tones of twists and turns and the hard terrain really took it out of me. I must day that massive drop off was the bomb..........

Awesome race but there was a stuff up at the sharp end of the race. We started passing guys that we knew were behind us and so we asked what distance they had ridden, all the guys we passed had done 3km less due to a wrong turn within the first 17km. Made my blood boil a bit since we were lying around 10th overall before we started passing about 15 guys over the 2nd half of the race but managed 20th in 2h06 riding 52.2km.

The USN races are still my favourite as it favours the well rounded riders.

i saw those guys must have been about 20 of them following each other like sheep coming up through one of the farms cultivated lands while we were going down some jeep track in the opposite direction. They obviously took a wrong turn and got lost. don't know how because the route was pretty well marked and with lots of riders to follow.

Guys like you really piss me off :cursing: :cursing:

I thought I had a pretty fast race and you finish a whole hour before me, wish I could ride as fast as you guys like you :thumbup:

Apologies :blush:

Just keep at it and you'll start seeing some great results. :thumbup:

Guys like you really piss me off :cursing: :cursing:

I thought I had a pretty fast race and you finish a whole hour before me, wish I could ride as fast as you guys like you :thumbup:

Ja nee boet, there is always a fast guy.

Awesome race but there was a stuff up at the sharp end of the race. We started passing guys that we knew were behind us and so we asked what distance they had ridden, all the guys we passed had done 3km less due to a wrong turn within the first 17km. Made my blood boil a bit since we were lying around 10th overall before we started passing about 15 guys over the 2nd half of the race but managed 20th in 2h06 riding 52.2km.

The USN races are still my favourite as it favours the well rounded riders.

had same issue landed up riding 53.7km, did you turn left at that railway line bridge? I followed other riders down there, about 8 of us then realised we had ridden wrong way and turned around.

had same issue landed up riding 53.7km, did you turn left at that railway line bridge? I followed other riders down there, about 8 of us then realised we had ridden wrong way and turned around.

We hooked it right there. A few of my mates also turned left by mistake.

My second usn race at red barn, and the second time my results were stuffed up.

First time not-so-great-time classified my 50km time under the 30km finishers.

And yesterday, i rode singlespeed, and my name is nowhere to be found on any of the results.

Sent them a mail again, hopefully this time a get a response. But im not holding my breath.

Just an update:

Great-time sorted my results out first thing this morning.

There were about 30 entry forms that was not handed to the timekeepers to be captured.

Comparing our rides I can see where guys went wrong.

You went wrong - how do you get 94km in a 50km race? :eek:

You went wrong - how do you get 94km in a 50km race? :eek:

I was thirsty... so I went to fill my bottle up at home. :whistling:

About 8 of us rode to the race and back together to make it a good training ride.

That was pretty hectic, and totally irresponsible from the zip line guys WTF were they (not) thinking.?

To the guy who took the hit, big ups to carry on with the race & hope you ok?

Thanks for your concern ! Jip, as Aggies said , 2 broken ribs later and a hand-full of pain meds every 4 hours, I'm doing fine. I wish I could tell you how it happened, but i really don't have much to say. One moment letting little nippers in front of me, the next lying on the ground struggling to breathe. Thankfully the zipline idiot hit me and not my girlfriend or one of the children!

i saw those guys must have been about 20 of them following each other like sheep coming up through one of the farms cultivated lands while we were going down some jeep track in the opposite direction. They obviously took a wrong turn and got lost. don't know how because the route was pretty well marked and with lots of riders to follow.

Actually there were a couple of groups that went wrong somewhere. I was in one of them, we followed route markings as we saw them, leading ladies also had issues.

Seems to have been a combination of going wrong and people messing with the route markings. According to the organisers it's an issue they're constantly dealing with the settlement in that area.

Anyway, once we realised what happened, it was clear the race was done for us and let the leaders like Jan and them pass.

As well as notifying the officials at the finish, who noted the computer readings as well. I'm assuming to aggregate timing to some degree. Although I don't even see my result anywhere, not that finishing 20th or 30th odd is here nor there.

Reckon the podiums were accurate enough.

All in all still a lekker day out and anytime on the bike is a good time.

Any idea who did the photos or where i can get hold of them? I saw one photographer on the route...

Was also my first 52km ride....I really felt those extra 2km's. I managed to miss a turn somewhere, luckily noticed the guys behind me oging off in a different direction so was able to get back. Also had a lady in front of my going charging off in the wrong direction at a split, but managed to call her back. Other than that, I through the route was well marked, was riding by myself for a lot of the second part of the race.

Actually there were a couple of groups that went wrong somewhere. I was in one of them, we followed route markings as we saw them, leading ladies also had issues.

Seems to have been a combination of going wrong and people messing with the route markings. According to the organisers it's an issue they're constantly dealing with the settlement in that area.

Anyway, once we realised what happened, it was clear the race was done for us and let the leaders like Jan and them pass.

As well as notifying the officials at the finish, who noted the computer readings as well. I'm assuming to aggregate timing to some degree. Although I don't even see my result anywhere, not that finishing 20th or 30th odd is here nor there.

Reckon the podiums were accurate enough.

All in all still a lekker day out and anytime on the bike is a good time.

We passed the leading ladies, well Amy and Yolande at about the 20k mark. They were actually the first two that we passed that made us realise that people had turned wrong. And then we just kept passing and passing, but when you pass one guy twice... :cursing:

At the end of the day when we realised that the results weren't going to be accurate, we wrote it off as a good training ride and carried on racing as we were.

What time did you manage in the end?