Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

Finally..... Crispy pizza base dough

500g Cake flour

250g Lukewarm water

15g Instant yeast

7g salt

62g olive oil

You can either make this in a mixer with a dough hook or by hand.

Mix the lukewarm water and olive oil together.

Put dry ingredients into a bowl.

Add wet ingredients to dry and work into a dough.

Knead the dough on a floured surface for +-10 mins. It should form a smooth ball by the time you're done.

Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover with clingfilm (poke a small hole in for it to breath) and a tea towel. Place in a warm dark place to prove until its about doubled in size.

Remove from the bowl, knead it until it's pliable. Divide the dough and roll it into rounds. 

I don't pre bake these bases. I usually just put my toppings on and bake.

This makes +-4 regular pizzas from what I remember.

Enjoy :)

just checking - you sure its cake flour and not bread flour?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

just checking - you sure its cake flour and not bread flour?

Yes, quite sure ;-)

A lower protein flour cooks faster and produces a crisper base. Bread flour could be substituted if you're looking for a softer, more chewy base.

Yes, quite sure ;-)

A lower protein flour cooks faster and produces a crisper base. Bread flour could be substituted if you're looking for a softer, more chewy base.

ok. cool. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just seen this now, want to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwfuknLKIEU

I sat down for a very important business dinner with a supplier, their chef prepared a baked avo and tuna starter.

My immediate reaction was utter disgust (avo was not something I thought would be good cooked), I kept a straight face and because good manners dictate not to spit someone's offerings on the floor I ate my starter. Flippin amzing taste and apart from a slight change in texture, avo is one of the few fruits that goes down really well with high heat cooking. Turned out to be the highlight of the dinner that avo

so, was an interesting taste. not *** but I'll have my avo raw in future.

I haven't tried it yet, but I can imagine avo must taste better raw.

• 5 weeks later...

Got a consignment of fresh veldkool from my usual crayfish and mussel smuggler (kidding). Des made a delicious risotto with it. For those who know nothing about it, here is some more detail:

"Veldkool a popular vegetable

The wild edible plant I am going to talk about this month is the Trachyandra species of the Asphodelaceae family. These edible plants are fairly common around the Cape. Occurring primarily along the coastal sands from southern Namibia to the southeastern Cape 

Commonly referred to as Veldkool, the wild edible bud is a popular vegetable.

There are several different species that can all be used in the same way: They are also sometimes collectively referred to as Wild Cabbage, Hotnotskool, Wildeblomkool and Cape Spinach.

This is an interesting collection of perennial bulbous plants that can lie dormant until the winter rain comes. 

Luckily none of the edible ones mentioned above are at risk. In fact most appear to be fairly common!ÂÂ

The plant flowers from July to September so this is the last month you will be able to harvest these beautiful buds.

They are quite easy to spot amongst the wild flowers. The young flowering stalks or bud clusters are harvested before the flowers have opened… and this is what you eat.

Flowers for your salad

The individual flowers can be added to salads – they have a pleasant grassy flavour – but the young buds are really best cooked. They can either sautéed lightly like asparagus and used in similar ways – quiches or warm salads – or they can be steamed and served with butter, salt, pepper and a squeeze of lemon. You can also use them to make a traditional dish called veldkool bredie – which is pretty much a slow cooked lamb stew.

Please harvest with care not to damage the plant. Remember to harvest only what you need – don’t be too greedy. Please also bear in mind that is it illegal to pick wild flowers in a nature reserve.

Tracy Armbruster"

post-17716-0-95587600-1504719054_thumb.jpg