Cooking and culinary tips/recipes

Wayne Potgieter

That looks really good. 

Did you know that an air fryer is the same as a convection oven? So basically if your oven has a fan in it, you can use it the same way as an air fryer

Convection oven is a lekker thing. I do our chicken, sausages, pork rashers, and fish in our convection oven. I haven't tried steak in there yet as I've mainly been frying steak.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tonight's dinner. Medium boiled eggs and Avo on toast. Very basic meal.

I half fulled the pot with water, and had the stove on 6 until the water boiled. I added 3 teaspoons of salt (apparently it helps with pealing the eggs). I then turned the stove down to 4, and added the 4 eggs. I used an egg timer.0fd139bc72cdf8c37980db46baf6162c.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Where in Gauteng would one get the best fresh fish?

I’m going camping in December, and would like to either take a tuna steak to braai or Salmon. Or both maybe

Then also having never worked with Salmon, does anybody have some good braai recipes?

Where in Gauteng would one get the best fresh fish?

I’m going camping in December, and would like to either take a tuna steak to braai or Salmon. Or both maybe

Then also having never worked with Salmon, does anybody have some good braai recipes?

Thick tuna steaks are fantastic over the coals. I like to do it over hot coals, almost sear it outside but have it nearly sushi inside. Very quick. Definitely must be very pink inside or you destroy the taste. We just cover it with a bit of olive oil and soy sauce, sometimes sprinkle sesame seeds over it as well before grilling it. Then I serve it with a bit of wasabi and mayonnaise, sometimes with wasabi-mayonnaise. You can tell that I like sushi, I'm sure!

In my opinion salmon is too delicate a fish to braai over open coals. I would rather do it in a pan or in the oven, and be very careful to over cook it. If I had to cook a whole salmon or large salmon fillets over the coals, I would do it in tinfoil. 

Thick tuna steaks are fantastic over the coals. I like to do it over hot coals, almost sear it outside but have it nearly sushi inside. Very quick. Definitely must be very pink inside or you destroy the taste. We just cover it with a bit of olive oil and soy sauce, sometimes sprinkle sesame seeds over it as well before grilling it. Then I serve it with a bit of wasabi and mayonnaise, sometimes with wasabi-mayonnaise. You can tell that I like sushi, I'm sure!

In my opinion salmon is too delicate a fish to braai over open coals. I would rather do it in a pan or in the oven, and be very careful to over cook it. If I had to cook a whole salmon or large salmon fillets over the coals, I would do it in tinfoil.

Yeah I heard you braai them 2min max a side.

Any idea on where to get the best quality fish?

• 4 weeks later...

Made some flatbread wraps last night. Very happy with them as it was my first attempt and they came out quite tasty. Definitely going to try again, as they are super easy and quick to make.

http://www.recipetineats.com/easy-soft-flatbread-yeast/

Ingredients
2 cups / 300g plain flour (all purpose flour) (level cups, unsifted, not packed), + keep 1/4 cup extra for dusting & adjusting dough
1/2 tsp salt
3 1/2 tbsp / 50g butter (1.75 oz)
3/4 cup / 185 ml milk
1/2 tbsp oil (for cooking)

Instructions
Combine butter and milk and heat until butter is just melted - on stove or in microwave.
Combine 2 cups flour, salt, butter and milk.
Sprinkle work surface with flour then knead for a few minutes until it is smooth - it doesn't need much kneading. Add extra flour if the dough is too sticky.
Wrap with cling wrap and rest at room temperature for 30 minutes or so.
Dust bench top with flour, cut dough into 4 pieces, roll into balls, then roll out into about 1/8" / 0.3cm thick rounds.
Heat 1/2 tbsp olive oil in a non stick pan over medium heat - or lower if you have a heavy based skillet. (Note 1)
Place one flatbread in the pan, cook for around 1- 1 1/2 minutes - it should bubble up (see photo in post)- then flip and cook the other side, pressing down if it puffs up. There should be a smallish golden brown spots on both sides.
Stack the cooked bread and keep wrapped with a tea towel - the moisture helps soften the surface, making them even more pliable.
Continue to cook with remaining pieces.
Optional: Brush or spray bread with olive oil or melted butter, for a more luxurious finish. Or even with melted butter mixed with minced garlic for a garlic butter version!

don't stir.

Red wine or dark beer (stout)

Brown the onions in the bottom, first. Then add meat and brown, slightly. Then add your selected liquid. 

LEAVE ALONE. 3 to 4 briquettes under the pot at all times, or a small but well tended flame. Leave for as long as you can stand it, then add the holy trinity - carrots / celery / onions and add pre-heated stock, mixed in with some brown onion soup powder as a thickening agent. Pre-heated so you don't mess with the temp. Add potatoes if you really want to, and green beans if you absolutely must. Leave for another hour, or until the veg are cooked. 

At this point the rice / samp / pap should be done. Do a beer-bread as well. Nom nom nom. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

• 3 weeks later...

Tried this the other night. Chicken, fried onion and grated cheese with egg on toast. Turned out frikken tasty.

I opted to do the chicken in the convection oven, then cut the chicken into pieces once it was done.

Next time I'll try it on a burger roll, but I'll fry the chicken and onion together.

8c0b973e7c2b6eda72cb1b9f91d1e194.jpg

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

brown onion soup powder as a thickening agent. 

Did an oxtail potjie on Sunday with vegetable soup, first time I tried a 'thickened' potjie and may very well be the very last time. I'm not a fan of oxtail in the first place, but the thick gravy ruined it for me. Wife and kids all had more than two helpings each so I may be the odd one out :)

I bought myself one of those 'varkie oondjies' at a christmas market, the ones you bake bread in. Man that thing is lekker. Bread dough in pan, close it, 18 briquettes on top and sides, and 40 minutes later baked bread. Think I might try a breakfast bread tomorrow morning.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys, need some input...not lus to go shopping, but lus for a meaty curry. Currently in pantry: boerwors, red kidney beans & coconut milk. Also all masalas & spices, etc needed for a curry. Do you think the combo (boerie & beans) will work?