Wines 2 Whales - 2013

Francois Pienaar

You guys are making me nervous. My wife can barely lift her bike over a fence. Could be interesting ... :eek:

No, just kidding. Most of the lower half you can easily push the bike. The upper half is a bit more tricky, but pushing the bike up it is still possible. Push bike ahead, pull brakes, climb up a step or 2, push bike ahead, pull brakes, climb up.......keep repeating until you get to the top. That's how the slower smarter guys do it. ;)

• Replies 354
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The lower part of the portage is narrow and often a bit of a bottle neck. Not easy to overtake slow walkers there. The upper portion is wider and it is easier to overtake slow climbers. My advice would be to get there before the slow guys, if you want to truly race it. The advice about old shoes is good, but make sure that they have enough good tread left. The upper part is comparable to climbing a steep set of stairs 2 or 3 at a time, so if you want to train for it, that is what I would do, with bike on the shoulder.

(All this of course coming from one of the slow guys - honestly - I just "got to the top any way I could")

This is good advise, DJR was my partner for the last 2 W2W so can vouch for this.

This all sounds very scary. Is this race tougher than Sani?

I am feeling very undertrained.

Not tougher, just different.

This is good advise, DJR was my partner for the last 2 W2W so can vouch for this.

Yes he was and I still wait patiently as an understudy to you both. :cursing:

No, it isn't tougher than Sani. In terms of fitness, you need about the same for both. W2W is more technical slower single track with twists and turns, rocks and roots. Sani is more flowing open single track. Both are absolutely great.

still looking for a partner...

IS ENTRY FEE COVERED, CAUSE I MIGHT KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD BE KEEN.,,IF ITS FREE

Did the portage last week on the w2w route recce. pick up your bike onto your back is the best way for the second half. First bit is quite narrow with bushes so just push.Rather overtake as you nearing the crest if you are feeling strong because others will be slowing down, but you'll have plenty of time to decide on the way up. Any shoes should be fine.

IS ENTRY FEE COVERED, CAUSE I MIGHT KNOW SOMEONE WHO WOULD BE KEEN.,,IF ITS FREE

It is unfortunately not a free entry...

still looking for a partner...

Martin Wesemann Is looking for a partner

Edited by RaymondC

anyone got places for 2 bikes to take down from pta to W2W and back?

sorry, that would be for the race.

Edited by kingalton

You guys are making me nervous. My wife can barely lift her bike over a fence. Could be interesting ... :eek:

From previous experience: she will also be very greatfull if you run up with your bike, leave it at the top and come back for hers...