Cape Epic turn over R50 million

dillon

And the Cape Pioneer Trek - also boring - much cheaper and sounds plenty exciting to me? In fact, I was referring to the attitude and ethos of the event organisers rather than the route. I'll agree that the soft terrain of KZN isnt a match for the rocks and mountains of the Karoo and winelands, but all that dirt road roadie bunch riding is K@k in my opinion.

Yip and you are entitled to it.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Omega Man

but all that dirt road roadie bunch riding is K@k in my opinion.

Expect a LOT of flak for saying that.

Ego's aside and back to the topic - I don't understand how one can say it is too expensive while it sells within 36 seconds and that KE forgets about the locals while the % of SA riders is still the majority?! Show me any international event attracting top teams and still keep the majority local.. No, I haven't done it and no I won't do it, but congrats to KE for succeeding in establishing the epic as the top race.

Edited by ibruegge

WHEW - loads of anger around today.

it's just the 29er vs 26er moer mekaar in disguise...

No not at all, the problem here is we have a culture of mathon riding so there isnt a market for real fun trails - ie technical steep stuff that require skill development beyond being fit and able to ride over a root or two. There is scope for this kind of riding here for sure, especially in the Cape and trail builders are slowly creating some amazing routes - try Welvanpas for size...

mmmm ok, but then why do you guys have to go halfway across the world to go and ride your machines. Don't think we have the terrain and steep gradients that allow this type of riding....in my opinion of course

Ego's aside and back to the topic - I don't understand how one can say it is too expensive while it sells within 36 seconds and that KE forgets about the locals while the % of SA riders is still the majority?! Show me any international event attracting top teams and still keep the majority local.. No, I haven't done it and no I won't do it, but congrats to KE for succeeding in establishing the epic as the top race.

Yip he has an awesome event and cash cow....melk hom KV, you can because its yours!

The Epic is out of my range. Mentally, physically and monetarily. The problem with AM in SA is no bleddy ski lifts for the uphills. In my humble opinion of course.

Guest Omega Man

100%. If you are selling a product that sells out in 35 seconds a year in advance you are doing a LOT right.

exactly. the true value of something is the price someone is willing to pay for it. clearly loads of people are willing to pay the epic price, so it is not overpriced. one might argue it is under-priced considering how quickly it sells out.

Guest Omega Man

mmmm ok, but then why do you guys have to go halfway across the world to go and ride your machines. Don't think we have the terrain and steep gradients that allow this type of riding....in my opinion of course

True. But that trip halfway round the world costs less than the Epic.... Just saying.

it's just the 29er vs 26er moer mekaar in disguise...

Seems like its DH vs AM vs XCM vs XCO vs Dirt Roadie etc etc

Does it ever end??

In my opinion, of course, but based on some observable facts and having hiked around most of teh W Cape mountains - we have some pretty damn steep mountains here, not as high as the Alps, but steep. Whats lacking is a trail network and a market for said network...

Guest Karma

So, to all those who complain that it is too expensive, start your own multi day stage race and charge less.

Guest Latent Blue
exactly. the true value of something is the price someone is willing to pay for it. clearly loads of people are willing to pay the epic price, so it is not overpriced. one might argue it is under-priced considering how quickly it sells out.

Im not disagreeing with you...

Im just wondering how much charity money is being spent on entry fees for the riders...? Im just wondering

Guest Omega Man

In my opinion, of course, but based on some observable facts and having hiked around most of teh W Cape mountains - we have some pretty damn steep mountains here, not as high as the Alps, but steep. Whats lacking is a trail network and a market for said network...

Yeah true. Jonkers is certainly getting to be right up there tho.