Which 29er Hard Tail for 12K

madmarc

I have a mate who wants to start MTBing. His budget is 12K and he wants a 29er.

So what bike would be his best choice and value for money

Scott hardtail. Voted best hardtail of 2012 by a couple of UK magazines. Light, responsive, good component spec.

And don't listen to JCZA. Sram is just as good as shimano. Just that sometimes their brakes aren't to everyone's tastes (read they cannot bleed them properly so they say they never work)

Scott hardtail. Voted best hardtail of 2012 by a couple of UK magazines. Light, responsive, good component spec.

And don't listen to JCZA. Sram is just as good as shimano. Just that sometimes their brakes aren't to everyone's tastes (read they cannot bleed them properly so they say they never work)

Oh dear...I'm not gonna bite but anyone that rides further than round the block will tell you that avids are an absolute abortion of a product. Dangle was bleeding mine once a month and I'd like to think he knows what he is doing. Maybe PM Iron and get a second opinion? SRAM is great if you getting X0 or XX but not the lower end.

Oh dear...I'm not gonna bite but anyone that rides further than round the block will tell you that avids are an absolute abortion of a product. Dangle was bleeding mine once a month and I'd like to think he knows what he is doing. Maybe PM Iron and get a second opinion? SRAM is great if you getting X0 or XX but not the lower end.

ROFL. Yeah, the old rotor designs WERE pathetic. They warbled faster than a christmas turkey.

I've got Elixir 5's on my giant and they stop me well. And I need a lot of stopping!

Had XX on my DH bike, but sold them to fund the Reign.

ROFL. Yeah, the old rotor designs WERE pathetic. They warbled faster than a christmas turkey.

I've got Elixir 5's on my giant and they stop me well. And I need a lot of stopping!

Had XX on my DH bike, but sold them to fund the Reign.

I kept the rotors... :ph34r: still makes the same noise

Lots of mechanics cannot bleed sram properly because they leave the calipers mounted on the frame, and you cannot get all the airbubbles out when they in that position. Simple trick is to remove the caliper while bleeding and turn them upside down and tap them. I've bled many Avid and SRAM brakes with no problems...just don't follow their instuctions because they suck. You have the same problem with migura brakes. I bought a set off CAAD4 because 4 bike shops couldn't get them bled properly. it took me 30 minutes and they were schweet, that was 18 months ago and they still schweet.

Now please guys - hijack is off - can we get back to your recommendations on this 12K HT

Avids are only good once you use the newer shimanos i use the SLX and XY. My mate has Deore's on DS recently serviced he's bike and changed the pads before he's trip to Knysna and i was mighty impressed them...

As for groupos agreed any SRAM and Shimano groupos can work!

Heres what i would get for +-12k

Chinese Carbon Frame R3800

RS recon gold R2500

SLX 10spd chain + cassette R900

SLX right shifter R350

SLX shadow + Rear Mech R700

Stem, seatpost handle bar R1000

Tyres R800

Wheelset R2500 - R3500

Deore Brakes R1800

Grips + Stans + Extras R800

What i miss?