Chinese Carbon Wheels

Meezo

I've brought in a set and my son has brought 2 sets (2 sets are integrated and 1 set is normal bars)

The normal bars were the cheap ones but nothing wrong with them.

Have seen the exact same bars for sale on the hub with a BIG mark up.

I am actually looking at an integrated set as well as a set for the back of the tandem but this I am struggling to find on aliexpress. Thanks for the info.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good evening all

I had a bit of a crash about 2 weeks ago with my LightBicycle wheels where 2 spokes pulled out of their holes on the rear wheel and 1 spoke pulled out on the front. The carbon is lifting/delaminating where this has occurred.

The insurance has come to the party and I am now able to replace my racing wheels.

My question is:

Do I import rims from nextie or LB and then rebuild my wheels onto my hope Mono RS hubs(+- 2500km of racing) where the importing of the rims with the spokes and build is going to cost about R10500

Do I import a complete wheelset from nextie (45F/58R) R14500 or LB (45F/55R) R15300 both with DT 350 hubs and then just sell my Hope Mono hubs

Do I sell my hubs for like R3000 and then just go with a shop bought/solid 2nd hand racing wheel? (CWC is R3800 for the rear alone)

Im looking at a 2nd hand zipp 303 or 404 or roval CL50 for about R20k

The wheels will just be used for racing as I already have heavy reliable trainers  :ph34r:

The only issue is that the DT350 hubs are heavy - you have heavy training wheels you say so go with something lighter if that's the purpose of having a second race set otherwise it defeats the purpose (not that Zipps are light - they always seem a bit porky)

What kind of bike is it for?

The only issue is that the DT350 hubs are heavy - you have heavy training wheels you say so go with something lighter if that's the purpose of having a second race set otherwise it defeats the purpose (not that Zipps are light - they always seem a bit porky)

What kind of bike is it for?

Its for my Chapter 2 Tere. The reason why I'd go complete wheelset is that there is not a big price difference between getting the complete wheelset Vs only getting rims and going the build onto my hope hubs

Hope Hubs VS DT Swiss hubs? I know which ones I would choose without a doubt, based on my MTB experiences.

I'm really happy with my Hopes!

DARKHORSE...

For the price, no thank you. I even thought of just getting DH rims but that too is very expensive in comparison with LB or Nextie

I know guys that have EC90 and Enve Replicas.

None have have issues.

Guys with EC90's have had some hard crashes bars are 100% even with direct impact.

Enve had a small fall no impact either..

Be very careful with the ec90’s...Mine lasted a whole 3 weeks. Cracked on right hand side. No crashes or hard impacts.

Surely wheels built by a good Wheelbuilder onto those Hope hubs will be better built than mass produced wheels? I understand your cost comparison. Good luck with your decision.

• 2 months later...

reposting... as this is the more appropriate thread for the question, 

sorry now there is a long conversation, i simply don't have the time atm to read 20 pages... but promise i will, to get the history.

Hi guys... what's the avg cost these days for a no name chinese carbon rim. how's the Quality on them. Know they and other brans most of the time come out of the same factor/production lines, just the QA which is varied. Assume with this because of cost saving it's simply easier to buy a 3rd rim as a backup, as backup/support is likely totally non existing.

G

V12, would you mind sharing contact details of the source of your wheels.

G

I have now done 2 Epics on the same set of rims - no issues at all - and of course all associated pre epic races... :) They now have some patina, but still going strong.

I can't say on the asymetrics - but I am sure the quality will be fine from Peter.

https://icancycling.com/#

i've done around 3000km on my Ican Aero 45/55 combo. All going well, they are smooth and fast, handle alot better in wind vs my old Token C50 which cost twice as much.

Edited by Veebee

i've done around 3000km on my Ican Aero 45/55 combo. All going well, they are smooth and fast, handle alot better in wind vs my old Token C50 which cost twice as much.

Meant MTB wheels. but not to worry, found your posting 6 pages back and the rims you bought.

G

I just got myself a set of the 35mm version from a hubber for my gravel build. Quality looks great, but will have to see how they are once the bike has been built up.

Meant MTB wheels. but not to worry, found your posting 6 pages back and the rims you bought.

G

They do also sell MTB wheels