MTB brakes

Wimmas

I have Deores (M596) and they are awesome, cheap, powerful, reliable, quiet and awesome. Do it. Throw that Avid rubbish out.

No idea why people would think the deore's can't hold up to the slx/xt's. Those brakes are just as good at more than half the price.

I made the mistake of selling mine to get some formula R1's. When push came to shove I just couldn't pull the trigger on them, so I bought another set of the deore's. Kicked myself when I saw the easybike special cause I payed R1450.

Point is. If you are looking for new brakes, there is NO better buy, than the easybike special for shimano deore disc brakes. R1100 for those brakes are a steal.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea why people would think the deore's can't hold up to the slx/xt's. Those brakes are just as good at more than half the price.

I made the mistake of selling mine to get some formula R1's. When push came to shove I just couldn't pull the trigger on them, so I bought another set of the deore's. Kicked myself when I saw the easybike special cause I payed R1450.

Point is. If you are looking for new brakes, there is NO better buy, than the easybike special for shimano deore disc brakes. R1100 for those brakes are a steal.

I got my current elixir 5's for the same price. Love those brakes...

Then I must be the luckiest guy alive.

Got Juicy Three's on my bike, not a days problems. Running Quaxar "Juicy 3" pads on 180mm Quaxar disc front and 160mm Quaxar disc back (www.quaxarengineering.com). Brakes properly bled with absolutely no air in system. Going down steep singletrack (like Meerendal), braking and modulation is good with ample stopping power (no need to lock up and drag wheels), no brake fade, NO SQUEELING, just a bit of a "whirrrrr" sound from the front disc. Been like this for at least a year now.

Ok awesome! I'll take off the avid's and slap a paid of Shimano Deore's on it, 160mm rotor at the back and 180mm up front.

I thought these brakes come pre-bled? The brakes are still new so I don't see the point in bleeding them.

Thanks for the responses :thumbup:

Or maybe I'll wait as I've thought of getting the SLX groupset @ R5900 from CWC in about 4 months time which includes a disc brake set. Then I'll just sell the entire groupset on the Momsen.

The SRAM components I have no issue with, they work pretty decent but the SLX groupset is better than the SRAM mix I currently have on.

Edited by Wimmas

Avids are a strange beast indeed! I find my Elixir 3's brake quite well but still squeel after having the rotors and pads changed (funnily enough the front only). They also also seem to always have a tendancy to catch the rotor whenever you have taken the wheel out and put it back again, however my friend has Elixir 1's on his bike and they make no sound at all!

Why do these threads always land up Avid bashing - why not give the man some good advice?

1 - Bleed the brakes properly - plenty of videos on youboob and you can make a bleed kit using cheap irrigation parts and a syringe.

2 - Torque the disc to the hub using a torque wrench - use the Avid torque spec - it is different to the Shimano spec

3 - Align and torque the caliper and caliper mounts using the correct Avid spec

4 - Clean the disc - lightly sand useing 400 - 600 grit waterpaper (dry) and clean it with acetone afterwards

5 - Remove the pads and lightly sand them so they are not glazed - put the sandpaper on a flat surface (glass) and move the pad keeping it flat at all times.

Bed the pads using the Avid bedding instructions - google them.

Then you will be good to go.

That is a DAMN good price.

Yeah, I just bought a set and I am chuffed...I had a pair of Tektros and the difference is quite big

Why do these threads always land up Avid bashing - why not give the man some good advice?

They really do deserve their reputation....the best advise is to gooi them away and buy a set of deore brakes, don't sell them cause you just passing the monkey to someone else.

Some things are worth their PT, these brakes are not

1 - Bleed the brakes properly - plenty of videos on youboob and you can make a bleed kit using cheap irrigation parts and a syringe.

2 - Torque the disc to the hub using a torque wrench - use the Avid torque spec - it is different to the Shimano spec

3 - Align and torque the caliper and caliper mounts using the correct Avid spec

4 - Clean the disc - lightly sand useing 400 - 600 grit waterpaper (dry) and clean it with acetone afterwards

5 - Remove the pads and lightly sand them so they are not glazed - put the sandpaper on a flat surface (glass) and move the pad keeping it flat at all times.

Bed the pads using the Avid bedding instructions - google them.

Then you will be good to go.

Thats 5 more steps than I've ever had to perform on shimano's. :)

Seriously though, I bought a bike with elixir 3's on after using cheap shimano's. Not even a month later I had to upgrade the brakes on a brand new bike cos the avids were rubbish.

They really do deserve their reputation....the best advise is to gooi them away and buy a set of deore brakes, don't sell them cause you just passing the monkey to someone else.

Some things are worth their PT, these brakes are not

Trust me - I am not selling the 2 sets of Avids I have (or swapping them either) - nothing wrong with them at all - I just believe that most bike shops have NO clue how to set them up, and don't own a torque wrench either - they certainly won't bother checking the brakes on a new out the box bike.

But Avids don't make a noise because of the lable on them - they make a noise because they are installed and set up WRONG - and if you do that, you can make any brake misbehave - including making XTR's noisy..

Avids are getting a bad reputation because they dont work. Even on a brand new bike!

Shimano out the box, no need to bleed, fit and it works.

Another mate converted this weekend and he cannot believe the difference.

Trust me - I am not selling the 2 sets of Avids I have (or swapping them either) - nothing wrong with them at all - I just believe that most bike shops have NO clue how to set them up, and don't own a torque wrench either - they certainly won't bother checking the brakes on a new out the box bike.

But Avids don't make a noise because of the lable on them - they make a noise because they are installed and set up WRONG - and if you do that, you can make any brake misbehave - including making XTR's noisy..

Hey if your brakes are working that is great....they are just maintenance whores and I like fit and forget parts....they are not that. Also I had no issues with them being noisy, if that was their only issue they wouldn't have this reputation. The problem I have with them is that they don't brake....that is kind of a big fail for me, like a wheel that doesn't roll but with the consequence that you will loose a tooth or break a bone. Some of the elixir's also use dot5 fluid which is extremely corrosive so much that they eat your brakes from the inside out...well that is what happened to me anyway. Here is why I regard them as rubbish

They require constant bleeding and pampering to ensure performance and when they do decide to work, they don't work as well as my shimano brakes. Noise doesn't feature

Edited by rouxtjie

Avids are getting a bad reputation because they dont work. Even on a brand new bike!

Shimano out the box, no need to bleed, fit and it works.

Another mate converted this weekend and he cannot believe the difference.

AVID is crap. sorry for the language. I had Avids fail going down Breedts on a test bike without warning. I dont need any more reason than that. I have a set of new ispec SLX brakes on my bike. 8000km later incl an Epic and 2 sets of metal pads and 1 full hose bleed is the full extent of maintenance. I rest my case. Edited by MuddyMike

Hmmmm... If you have a look at all the brakes on bikes and on the shelf in the stable you will see Shimano, Hayes, Avid, Hope and Ashima. All have different power, bite points, setting up difficulty, pad wear etc etc. BUT the only ones I won't fit to a bike again are the Ashimas. I guess it comes down to setting them up correctly and the fact that they never see the inside of any LBS.

AVID is crap. sorry for the language. I had Avids fail going down Breedts on a test bike without warning. I dont need any more reason than that. I have a set of new spec SLX brakes on my bike. 8000km later incl an Epic and 2 sets of metal pads and 1 full hose bleed. I rest my case.

Exactly why I chucked mine...same thing happened to me. You only have to the back side of breedts once without brakes to make you decision easier