So Giant may dump their 29ers!

nigelhicks

Ja but it doesn't mean we aren't keen to buy. Lol.

I menat the marketing BS that is the 29er

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you roll the dice and try to forcast what the public want in this less than favourable economic climate, your BS department needs to be on top of it's game.

I see Giant have pulled out all the stops.

29'er phased out in two years ?? - I think they poached the Kashima marketing boys ..

29'er phased out in two years ?? - I think they poached the Kashima marketing boys ..

Key words...

Depends. On. Market. Feedback.

If 275 out-sells niner at a significant level, niner goes. If niner continues to sell in the Anthem, niner stays. if niner continues to sell in XTC, niner stays. If it sells in one of those, niner stays in that segment.

"Can we expect to see 29 and 26-inch wheels eventually disappear in Giant's consumer-priced bikes in the near future?

· 26-inch for sure, but 29-inch will be dependent on market feedback. That said, if the market progresses the way we believe it will, 29-inch will be phased out in approximately two years....again, totally dependent on market feedback."

So currently you have the option of 29, 650 or 26'er. From the above statement the OP deducts the end of the 29er and seems happy about it. Hope you are on a 650 OP! "The market" will not sell their 29ers only to please Giant.

Blah blah blah.

I can ride my 26" bike fast on technical stuff. I can also ride my 29" bike fast on technical stuff.

As someone who has been riding MTBs since 1989, I can honestly say that buying bigger wheels has been one of the things that's made the smallest noticeable improvement to me. Suspension has improved incredibly over the last 15 years, geometry and accompanying handling has improved, brakes have improved hugely, tyres have improved massively as well. Wheel size? Meh. Not really such a big thing.

Luckilly it's not just Giant who brings us the wonder-wheel so there is still plenty other manufacturers who will hopefully stay sane and stick to 29er's for now.

Guest Omega Man

Blah blah blah.

I can ride my 26" bike fast on technical stuff. I can also ride my 29" bike fast on technical stuff.

I'v seen you ride and... It wasn't fast.

Jokes.

Luckilly it's not just Giant who brings us the wonder-wheel so there is still plenty other manufacturers who will hopefully stay sane and stick to 29er's for now.

Erm, that's what they're doing... Instead of reading the market backlash, read the article itself (as well as my post) - Depends. On. Market. Feedback.

So they may not discontinue 29ers at all. They may keep them in the XC segment (where 9ers are the highest sellers, incidentally) and they are keeping the Trance niner for 2014.

This whole thing has been blown out of proportion by those little keyboard warrior okes who comment on these articles without ever reading beyond the headline.

In my humble opinion.

26" for small to med frames

650B for med to large frames

29" for large to XL frames.

This just makes more cense to take the size of the rider than to simply take the size of the wheels.

Other than that, ride whatever turns you on!!!!

26 inch / ISO 559mm

27.5 inch / ISO 584mm / 650B

29 inch / ISO 622mm / 700C

I suggest:

Pull out calculator

Push some buttons

Apologise to Eldron.

:clap:

650A is the proper middle size @ 590mm. Would be interesting to see if that pops up in a few years as the new best thing.

Now theres a bit of BS.

650B contact patch size is one thing to consider but there are a whole bunch of other factors in frame design, wheel strength and tyre design that plays into the equation.

650B closer to 26er in what? the wheel diameter is smack in the middle of 26 and 29, the contact patch is marginally closer to 26 than 29 but what does that 29 contactpatch actually give you?

Nothing in relation to the frame geometry, strength and wheel strength losses.

the 29er was a bad idea to begin with but so many poeple's bought into the concept of the 29 (especially those with X6's) that anything else was archaic LOL.

Now giant has seen the light, the trail market has seen the light, Scott is making a "transition plan" withj 650B for small and medium sized bikes and Cannondale missed the boat thanks to conservative Dorel. EISH>

better sell those 29ers now. they won;t be worth squat in 2014

I see Eldron gave you your necessary pakslae, next time you press post, stop, take a deep breath, read your post again and only then press the button.....mkay

I'v seen you ride and... It wasn't fast.

Jokes.

Never a truer word than that spoken in jest! :lol:

"Fast" being a relative term here. Relative to the average 29er rider!

They have to find a way for all us fools that ditched our 26ers to go 29 to buy morw bikes... Next year wil be the year if the 30inchers