vipa or scalpel?

Sitting slip

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Scalpel is way overpriced for me. It is a damn fine bike, but I struggle to justify dropping that much cash for something which is incrementally better than something which is 75%(maybe even half) of the price. If it was out of sight better than the Vipa I'd go for it.

So for me, Vipa is better bang for buck, and it's local :thumbup: .

PS I'm not racing at the sharp end of races, so incremental improvements are less critical for me. If I was a racing snake competing for 1,2 or 3 every week it might be different.

ViPa for me. Great looking. Great geometry for its intended purpose. Probably work out a little cheaper than the equivalent Scalpel.

And it's the most South African DESIGNED bike of all the Momsen models.

Both great bikes though.

Scalpel all the way. VIPA does not come in so cheap, frame alone is about 25k. If I buy SA brand, PYGA would be my first choice.

Good luck and buy what would make you happy...and not these hub okes

Nico Pfitzenmaier's

post-1575-0-08822900-1376585349_thumb.jpeg

I was riding the Glen the day they did the Photo shoot for Nicos bike. I think the geomatry is very close to the epic s works.

to throw a spanner in the works, what say the Vipa had come out with Pyga livery? Or we went a little back in time and it was Morewood's update on the Zula? How would people react to it then?

Scalpel is way overpriced for me. It is a damn fine bike, but I struggle to justify dropping that much cash for something which is incrementally better than something which is 75%(maybe even half) of the price.

Yup you pay a premium for the brand - if you want the latest & greatest.

Otherwise, but a used 201/2011 26" and upgrade to 650b :)

Very nice looking bike.

The 80mm Fork will be interesting... They should bring it out in a lower spec though, in the 25k range I think.

Scalpel all the way. VIPA does not come in so cheap, frame alone is about 25k. If I buy SA brand, PYGA would be my first choice.

Very different bike to the two the OP is comparing...

Amazing how much attention the Vipa is getting with not much ride time or testing.Sure Nico rode the epic but since then i've only seen him on the HT and the vipa has dissapeared.Rumours around there are problems with the bike.Every opinion is based on should be /would be,and of course it's SA designed so it MUST be good.If it was a blank frame( no names on it)I would first comment on the sloppy cable routing and attatching it to the frame with zippties,really.Second that rear shock,could they not find a cheaper rear shock.

And seems pricing is on par with all the big companies who's bikes have at least been around for a few years.I think the concept of little travel 29er is brilliant along with the fact that size small will be 650b.

Great ideas but if you going to price in line with tallboy ect etc make sure quality and spec are equal.If the frame comes in 5-10K cheaper than the big boys and with decent rear shock they will have a winner.Until then( including all the guys here giving it a thumbs up)will still buy mainstream.

my 3c

Full race geometry for an everyday bike... No thanks you.

I would personally have a more relaxed geometry bike like the 650b Pyga for general use and then something like this for racing.