MotoGP

SeaBee

Must be just instinct in that fraction of a second where Mav realized that the brake was broke to just bail off the side . At 215 km/h . These guys are hectic.

Loved the finish 

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell us how you really feel ;)

Jokes aside, you don’t think a penalty is justified?

Neil Hodgson explained it on BT Sport exactly how I saw it.

Zarco's line was not the problem, Morbidelli's response to it was lacking in judgement.

After this weeks race I feel even stronger about it. How about Yamaha show us some of the braking data around "that" crash.

Anyway, rubbish track.

Must be just instinct in that fraction of a second where Mav realized that the brake was broke to just bail off the side . At 215 km/h . These guys are hectic.

Loved the finish 

235kmh, was crazy!!!

Loved the finish 

The commentary said MV was explaining to his race engineers, that he'd tried it four times before leaving the bike.

FOUR TIMES!

Neil Hodgson explained it on BT Sport exactly how I saw it.

Zarco's line was not the problem, Morbidelli's response to it was lacking in judgement.

After this weeks race I feel even stronger about it. How about Yamaha show us some of the braking data around "that" crash.

Anyway, rubbish track.

Yes, Neil’s explanation on BT was good, it was after I posted that question.

How are Yamaha the bad guys here?

Edited by Patchelicious

The commentary said MV was explaining to his race engineers, that he'd tried it four times before leaving the bike.

FOUR TIMES!

Interesting how you actually have an option to bail on a motorbike, your kit is designed for that.

In a car/racecar, you have no option of that.. if the brakes fail you are going with the car to where it comes to a standstill.

Scary that brakes can fail on these top level machines.

Loved the finish

Agree they have lighting reactions. But in interview with MV after the race he said he had been fighting a brake issue since lap 4. So while I am sure he wasn’t expecting total failure I think he was aware of an “issue”.

I have had to eject from a MX bike a few times and no way I can get off that fast! The momentum and force required to depart course from your bike on purpose is quite something. Can’t imagine what it’s like at 200km/h and on tarmac....

Crazy...

Yes, Neil’s explanation on BT was good, it was after I posted that question.

How are Yamaha the bad guys here?

As it was essentially an incident where a Yahama ran into the back of a competitor.  I think (yes entitlement and no right to make such a demand) they should show data proving that it was not a brake failure or malfunction. This is a safety issue more than a racing incident. Fabulous Quarterpounder and Maverick's experiences show there seems to be quite a big problem.

On an entirely different note, how is Millers entry into T3 at that track. Amazing skill or dangerous riding? It is consistent but man it blocks anyone from attacking him, and he can then exploit the Ducati's power down to T4.

As it was essentially an incident where a Yahama ran into the back of a competitor.  I think (yes entitlement and no right to make such a demand) they should show data proving that it was not a brake failure or malfunction. This is a safety issue more than a racing incident. Fabulous Quarterpounder and Maverick's experiences show there seems to be quite a big problem.

On an entirely different note, how is Millers entry into T3 at that track. Amazing skill or dangerous riding? It is consistent but man it blocks anyone from attacking him, and he can then exploit the Ducati's power down to T4.

Hold the phone, now MV and the Zarco incident are related? 

Come on dude, this is a bit of a stretch. Is your Honda love that strong ;)

I think you may have answered your own question there...

Really? He was putting it in like that perfectly almost every time. Not impacting on anyone else at all. 

Was VR's defensive masterclass a few weeks ago also dangerous riding? 

Was a good race, orher than for binder blowing his podium chances by outbraking himself. But he’s still learning...so i guess it can be forgiven for now.

That last corner on the final lap was epic though.

Oh and oliviera getting on the roof of his newly acquired M bmw after the race and watching the sunroof moving in all sorts of stressful directions was proper cringeworthy lol.

Agree they have lighting reactions. But in interview with MV after the race he said he had been fighting a brake issue since lap 4. So while I am sure he wasn’t expecting total failure I think he was aware of an “issue”.

I have had to eject from a MX bike a few times and no way I can get off that fast! The momentum and force required to depart course from your bike on purpose is quite something. Can’t imagine what it’s like at 200km/h and on tarmac....

Crazy...

Not sure if I told the story here a few threads back - apologies if I have, but Darryn and Brad rode the DJ Classic Rally this year.  Darryn won the youngest rider trophy - a trophy I won a few years in a row so I know it well. Long story short, the trophies lid doesn't fit properly and everyone who wins it usually drops the lid when they recieve it (myself included) so when he was handed it I thought to myself there goes the poor lid again.  It did fall but without even looking Darryn caught it about 30cm from the floor, and carried on with his interview as if nothing had happened.  He had seen it fall out the corner of his eye and caught it without even pausing.  Realised then how quick your reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination need to be to ride MotoGP.

I'm also happy to see Darryn managing to finish regularly now and not fall off as often.  I've mentioned before that when both of them were racing Yamahas Rob Petersen regularly mentioned that Darryn was a lot faster than Brad.  He's wilder that's for sure, but if he gets the right mentoring can you imagine how quick he will be.

Not sure if I told the story here a few threads back - apologies if I have, but Darryn and Brad rode the DJ Classic Rally this year.  Darryn won the youngest rider trophy - a trophy I won a few years in a row so I know it well. Long story short, the trophies lid doesn't fit properly and everyone who wins it usually drops the lid when they recieve it (myself included) so when he was handed it I thought to myself there goes the poor lid again.  It did fall but without even looking Darryn caught it about 30cm from the floor, and carried on with his interview as if nothing had happened.  He had seen it fall out the corner of his eye and caught it without even pausing.  Realised then how quick your reflexes and hand-eye co-ordination need to be to ride MotoGP.

Thanks for the great anecdote; Darryn is right up there but seems to lack finesse  :devil: . They fly the flag for SA and Brad has been clear on his love for SA in his interviews which is good to hear.

A comment on the reaction times is that I understand (and open to correction) that the aliens reactions are not much better than the normal person but they know what to do. Refer Vanessa Guerre's simple test and the Clarkson interview with Michael Shumacher (ha ha).

FOUR TIMES!

Simon Crafar raised an interesting issue after the incident. At high braking demand circuits (Austria, Japan) Brembo provides a high mass/inertia disk brake to cope with the added braking stresses. Paired with that disk brake, is a brake caliper. Apparently, many teams run the high mass disk, with the standard caliper, and not the correct caliper (for what reason I'm not sure). What if using the incorrect caliper leads to seal failures on the pistons?

Interesting how you actually have an option to bail on a motorbike, your kit is designed for that.

In a car/racecar, you have no option of that.. if the brakes fail you are going with the car to where it comes to a standstill.

Scary that brakes can fail on these top level machines.

I think that the biggest takeaway from the past 8 days have been that no-one has been seriously injured. It's unbelievable to have had these massive incidents, with almost no injury.

Really? He was putting it in like that perfectly almost every time. Not impacting on anyone else at all. 

Was VR's defensive masterclass a few weeks ago also dangerous riding? 

Not quite the same thing Myles. Jack was supermoto-ing into the corners, first sliding out to the right, and then returning back to the correct line of entry on the left. There's not one single other rider who takes the entry like that.

I liked it quite a bit, it's amazing skill to be sliding around a MotoGP bike like that, but I definitely think it was more tactical, than to get a time/speed advantage. Because Miller had hurt his shoulder on Saturday, he knew that he would be vulnerable on the brakes into T4 on Sunday, and adapted.

I'm becoming a much bigger fan of Jack, now that he's settled down. I never had a big liking in him, but he's maturing, and with maturing comes speed. I especially liked his post-race informal interview after Marquez binned it in Jerez, he talks like a racer and I love it. I'll see if I can track it down again.

Edit: Found it

Edited by bertusras