MotoGP

SeaBee

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon Crafar raised an interesting issue after the incident. At high braking demand circuits (Austria, Japan) Brembo provides a high mass/inertia disk brake to cope with the added braking stresses. Paired with that disk brake, is a brake caliper. Apparently, many teams run the high mass disk, with the standard caliper, and not the correct caliper (for what reason I'm not sure). What if using the incorrect caliper leads to seal failures on the pistons?

I think that the biggest takeaway from the past 8 days have been that no-one has been seriously injured. It's unbelievable to have had these massive incidents, with almost no injury.

Not quite the same thing Myles. Jack was supermoto-ing into the corners, first sliding out to the right, and then returning back to the correct line of entry on the left. There's not one single other rider who takes the entry like that.

100% agreed, it's been absolutely crazy.

Fair enough, it was a completely different thing indeed. IMO it isn't dangerous. No more than a block-pass, at least. 

As for the high mass calipers - heat dissipation, man. If the caliper has a higher mass, it allows heat to be removed from the pads that much more efficiently just due to the increased thermal mass. I dunno why Yam decided to go for the low mass (normal?) calipers, unless just for weight saving. They're the ONLY ones on the grid doing so. 

Simon Crafar raised an interesting issue after the incident. At high braking demand circuits (Austria, Japan) Brembo provides a high mass/inertia disk brake to cope with the added braking stresses. Paired with that disk brake, is a brake caliper. Apparently, many teams run the high mass disk, with the standard caliper, and not the correct caliper (for what reason I'm not sure). What if using the incorrect caliper leads to seal failures on the pistons?

I think that the biggest takeaway from the past 8 days have been that no-one has been seriously injured. It's unbelievable to have had these massive incidents, with almost no injury.

Not quite the same thing Myles. Jack was supermoto-ing into the corners, first sliding out to the right, and then returning back to the correct line of entry on the left. There's not one single other rider who takes the entry like that.

I liked it quite a bit, it's amazing skill to be sliding around a MotoGP bike like that, but I definitely think it was more tactical, than to get a time/speed advantage. Because Miller had hurt his shoulder on Saturday, he knew that he would be vulnerable on the brakes into T4 on Sunday, and adapted.

I'm becoming a much bigger fan of Jack, now that he's settled down. I never had a big liking in him, but he's maturing, and with maturing comes speed. I especially liked his post-race informal interview after Marquez binned it in Jerez, he talks like a racer and I love it. I'll see if I can track it down again.

Edit: Found it

LOVE Jack's Italian accent, wonder if it helps get the point across.

I was on the fence about Zarco's incident last week, but after the BT Sport explanation I feel sorry for him, especially with how well he rode during qualifying.  And that delayed start for him was really not called for.  Bad enough starting from the back of the grid...

I can't even comprehend jumping off a bike moving at 235km/h  :eek: 

What a season it's been so far!  The championship is wide open  :thumbup:  

Was a good race, orher than for binder blowing his podium chances by outbraking himself. But he’s still learning...so i guess it can be forgiven for now.

That last corner on the final lap was epic though.

Oh and oliviera getting on the roof of his newly acquired M bmw after the race and watching the sunroof moving in all sorts of stressful directions was proper cringeworthy lol.

post-58906-0-73957900-1598269095_thumb.jpg

Confirmed: https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/motorcycles/motogp/yamahas-red-bull-ring-braking-disaster-explained

That's a very good article, thanks! So a combo of a different caliper design, finned pads and higher mass rotors meant the guys that went for the "heaviest" of the lot were far better off than the Yams. 

I have to say, seeing the difference in corner speeds between the Duc, Suzy & KTM was frankly astonishing. Those new visuals add a lot of context to the viewing. Sometimes as high as 5kph, IIRC. 

after this weekends win, KTM lose a whole bunch of their concessions. This could make things a bit harder for brad

Is it not mostly testing and engine development concessions? Impacts the factory more than the individual rider I would think?

Edit:

KTM will immediately lose the right to unlimited testing days. The four MotoGP™ riders won’t be able to test whenever they want, only on Official Test days, with test rider Dani Pedrosa unable to test at any GP circuit next season. In addition, the Austrian factory have to now choose three venues for the test riders to test on – this will come into play next year.

KTM’s engine allocation will be cut from nine to seven in 2021, and the exemption from the engine approval regulations is cancelled for the following season. KTM will also only be allowed to have three wildcards in 2021, instead of six.

Edited by bertusras

Trick question.

When last did the Tech3 team win at the highest level? Remember they've had former WSBK champions Ben Spies, Colin Edwards and James Toseland as well as a few real hot prospects riding their bikes so they have always been a good team.

Edited by Duane_Bosch

Trick question.

When last did the Tech3 team win at the highest level? Remember they've had former WSBK champions Ben Spies, Colin Edwards and James Toseland as well as a few real hot prospects riding their bikes so they have always been a good team.

The answer is never. They were with Yamaha for 20 years and didn't score a single win.

Edit: Quatararo was the first non-Honda satellite win in Jerez Race 1.

Edited by bertusras

Trick question.

I am pretty sure that my man Nakano got them their first podium, still on a stroker.

Have they won MotoGP before?

That's a very good article, thanks! So a combo of a different caliper design, finned pads and higher mass rotors meant the guys that went for the "heaviest" of the lot were far better off than the Yams. 

I have to say, seeing the difference in corner speeds between the Duc, Suzy & KTM was frankly astonishing. Those new visuals add a lot of context to the viewing. Sometimes as high as 5kph, IIRC. 

Here's a very informative artical about that:

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/articles/motorcycles/motogp/why-v4-motogp-bikes-are-better-in-battles