MotoGP

SeaBee

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So is Honda going in and changing their wording, now also considered cheating?

Some bedtime reading

But there is reason to believe that we are approaching the endgame of Spoilergate. On Friday night, reports say, Honda submitted its design for a swing arm-mounted spoiler to Technical Director Danny Aldridge, and had it accepted. This would not normally be remarkable, were it not for the fact that Honda had also submitted the same spoiler on Thursday night, and had it rejected as illegal.

How did this happen? On Thursday, Honda presented the spoiler, saying it was to generate aerodynamic downforce, reportedly. That goes against the guidelines issued by Danny Aldridge, and so he had no choice but to reject it. On Friday, Honda submitted the same spoiler, but told Aldridge it was to increase the stiffness of the swing arm, according to British publication MCN. Because that is not prohibited under the guidelines, Aldridge had no choice but to allow it.

Schrödinger's spoiler

How can this contradiction exist? Because of the phrasing of the guidelines issued by Danny Aldridge, and drawn up in response to queries from the manufacturers. The guidelines state that swing arm attachments are permitted as long as "their purpose is not to generate aerodynamic forces with respect to the ground". When Honda presented their spoiler on Thursday, they said this is what the purpose of the spoiler is. When they presented it on Friday, they said the purpose of the spoiler was something else.

"Purpose" is the key word here. "Purpose" implies intention, and intention is whatever the manufacturer – Honda in this case – says it is, as long as they can back that intention up by data. Any secondary effect can be ignored, as that is an unintended consequence of the stated purpose of the component.

If the word "effect" had been used in the guidelines instead of purpose, then no discussion would have been possible. If the guidelines had read that swing arm attachments were allowed as long as "their effect is not to generate aerodynamic forces with respect to the ground", then both the Honda and the Ducati spoilers would have been ruled illegal, unless HRC and Ducati could have proved that their spoilers did not generate any downforce.

It's all become a bit of a joke really.

A bit like adding a 2nd but saying it's used to cool the first one but coincidentally it also drives the front wheel and our bike is now 2WD. Surely sanity should prevail even if the wording is vague.........

I believe Brad was penalized, and Darryn wasn't, because he played argy-bargy in quali and was warned against doing it again.

So I guess you might say he was......

Suffering from lack of front grip

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So predictions anyone, will they be able to stop a 7th win at COTA for Marquez???

I see they have shaved the track again to get rid of the bumps, wonder if the track is ruined now though. Last year the shaved areas were very slippery if I recall, lots of complaints..........

So predictions anyone, will they be able to stop a 7th win at COTA for Marquez???

I see they have shaved the track again to get rid of the bumps, wonder if the track is ruined now though. Last year the shaved areas were very slippery if I recall, lots of complaints..........

Probably not :( . He seems to have things so dialed in there. Even if he qualifies badly, he will be on the front by the end of lap one and they won't see him till the podium.

It seems a sure thing, but I'll have a stab on Rossi, he's done well there the last few years, and he seems to be aging like fine wine right now.

At the risk of not searching through this thread... 

How many people have been to a live MotoGP race?

went to a couple when i lived in the UK. also a few WSBKs 

I was at Phakisa in 2003 I think - the year when that Aprilia RS Cube tried to kill Colin Edwards at the start of the race

Me, at Donington Park on a pissy day. Was excellent hearing all those bikes starting up.

Oh and wsbk as well. Brands hatch I think that was at.

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem