Oops I did it again, cracked frame. (and again)

Rouxenator

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had my Kona frame welded with a plate to enforce it up a few years back, luckily the agents/Kona was willing to let me do this while I waited for a replacement frame. The toptube had a crack and it was quite a sketchy ride back home after the initial crack.

I have had my training tandem welded. Very similar spot actually, it was slightly closer to the BB. I got one of the welders here at work to do it for me(he is also a cyclist). Done some decent miles on it with no issues.

@Rouxenator-Just one question, Did you leave your BB in for the welding? I had to remove mine as he said the welding will stuff it up. I actually just ended up stripping everything off anyway as it was just so much easier working on a tandem frame with everything off.

Very good point LWB - yes you should remove the BB! 

I totally forgot about the BB and the welder (no bike expert) told me he was worried about "this silver bit here" because aluminium transfers heat very quickly (I know, I have a few PCs). Thankfully I can confirm doing a 60km ride of Bottelary hills today, the BB runs as smooth as ever. 

Did find an annoying spoke click when I pedal up hills, might have the rear wheel taken in to get tensioned and true. 

Very good point LWB - yes you should remove the BB! 

I totally forgot about the BB and the welder (no bike expert) told me he was worried about "this silver bit here" because aluminium transfers heat very quickly (I know, I have a few PCs). Thankfully I can confirm doing a 60km ride of Bottelary hills today, the BB runs as smooth as ever. 

Did find an annoying spoke click when I pedal up hills, might have the rear wheel taken in to get tensioned and true. 

...spoke click or bb click?

Slightly unrelated...

My local specialized retailer found a crack on my Specialized Epic in the BB area. 2 weeks after the 5 year warranty period lapsed...

I actually found what looked like a crack and took pictures before the warranty had lapsed, but didn’t realise I was so close to the end of my warranty period and didn’t get it checked our right away.

Waiting to hear if Specialized will be able to help me out...

• 1 month later...

Interestingly a crack is starting to develop on the other chainstay as well. This poor thing is telling me it's time to go to frame heaven. I'll see how long it lasts, might be taking it a little easier on the jumps.